Skip navigation
Achim Oetzel
Currently Being Moderated

The new blur filters don`t work as smart filters in PsCS6beta - why's that?*

Apr 10, 2012 1:02 AM

Tags: #photoshop #cs6 #beta #photoshop_cs6 #cs6_beta #photoshop_cs6_beta #cs6-beta

The new blur filters (like field blur, iris blur or tilt/shift) don`t work as smart filters - why? Perhaps a beta issue. It would be nice to see this working in the final version.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2012 8:28 AM   in reply to Achim Oetzel

It would indeed be a pity if those new Filters were basically rendered useless for (what I consider) professional use.

I sure hope one will be able to apply them as Smart Filters in the final release.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 11:33 AM   in reply to Achim Oetzel

They do not get applied as smart filters at this point, and there aren't plans to change the behavior for release this late in the cycle.

Thanks for your feedback.

As for professional use, while not all professionals work non-destructively, there are many workflows that will still allow you to use the filters in a non-destructive manner without the need for smart filters.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 3:20 PM   in reply to Pete.Green

Name six!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 10:41 PM   in reply to Pete.Green

there are many workflows that will still allow you to use the filters in a non-destructive manner without the need for smart filters.

If you are referring to applying on a flattened duplicate layer then I consider that hardly a serious alternative.

And as there currently seems to be no way to store the applied settings it does not seem much of an alternative indeed.

In any case thanks for your feedback on this issue!

If I may ask further, though, and if you may divulge such stuff: When the feature was developed did nobody of the people involved consider it worthwhile to make it »Smart«?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 2:01 PM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

If I may ask further, though, and if you may divulge such stuff: When the feature was developed did nobody of the people involved consider it worthwhile to make it »Smart«?

Hi C.

Yes, of course there was much discusion, debate, and research. There are some technological challenges... that we hope to conquer in the future.

Thanks,

Meredith

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 2:11 PM   in reply to Meredith Payne Stotzner

The way it is applied, and the fact that it is GPU accelerated – correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that unlike the existing filters from the traditional filter architecture, that new class of on-canvas filters could theoretically be applied non-destructively as something similar to an adjustment layer without any major technological barriers. As far as I'm concerned, that would be even better than the option us using it as a smart filter (I don't use them much since the base image always has to be edited out of context of the document, I'm still using duplicate filtered layers for 95% of all tasks).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 2:32 PM   in reply to Achim Oetzel

Geez, Rome was not built in one day, was it?

CS5 & 6 are the two of the best releases in a while and if you watch, practically all the features start out as a basic function and then get improved through development and ueser feedback.

Call me a fanboy but I love what Adobe has been and is doing. Have any of you folks ever developed software before? There is complex mathematics hiding behind those buttons we are pushing and then consider all the different hardware sets out there that have to be accommodated.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 5:09 PM   in reply to peter/w

>> similar to an adjustment layer without any major technological barriers.

Nope, that doesn't change the math involved.

"filter layers" would still be too slow and restrictive.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2012 5:41 PM   in reply to Achim Oetzel

Sure am glad *I* am not allergic to editing pixel values! 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 10:52 PM   in reply to Meredith Payne Stotzner

Meredith Payne Stotz, thanks for the feedback.

I hope you all will find the time – I am aware that your plates may be more full than us users can see.

Have any of you folks ever developed software before?

Just because I can’t do it doesn’t mean I can’t ask the people who can to improve (a subjective term in this case, I guess) a function – they (and possibly some other involved parties) will have to decide if such requests are feasible and worthwhile or not.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 9:35 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

One can provide feedback in two ways: objective critical opinion or with a poor attitude.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 10:34 AM   in reply to Francis Stellitano

Not two, at least three: objective critical opinion, subjective critical opinion, and poor attitude.

Actually, add another one: Subjective/objective critical opinion.

And another one: Facts!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 1:26 AM   in reply to Francis Stellitano

My attitude is hardly relevant so long as I remain polite I would think.

In any case I would be surprised and apologetic if I had insulted any of the Adobe employees who graciously contributed to this thread (and others naturally).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points