Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Crop Marks Inaccurate and do not match document size.

Apr 11, 2012 3:25 PM

8.5 x 11 acrobat file.

There is no scaling.

When printed to HP5500, or Xerox 7500, the crop marks measure 10.6 x 8.22.

This dimension changes depending on what STYLE of crop marks are selected in the ADVANCED section of the print dialog box.

This happens with Acrobat 7Pro and with Acrobat 9Pro.

This must be an issue with this file because it is repeatable on 2 different printers and with 2 versions of acrobat.

How does acrobat decide where to put the crop marks?

The DOCUMENT BOXES are:

Crop = 8.5x11

TrimBox = 7.99x10.34

BleedBox = 7.99x10.34

ArtBox = 7.99x10.34

So how may I output this file on an 12 x 18 sheet and have accurate crop marks print at 8.5 x 11?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 12, 2012 1:13 PM   in reply to Jack Ball

Acrobat's Crop marks should be positioned to the Trim Defination. This is a case where different uses of the term Crop do not seem sensible.

Off the top of my head, I cannot quickly set up a file with those bleed/art/trim dimensions to test, ...

ok, i get the same results with those definitions.  Crop Pages > Change Page Size > Fixed Page Size > Letter

Retains the original Trim - 30 minutes later.

From the Preflight Panel > Create a Fixup (Top Right)

Study my example

AA New Fixup - Trim.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 2:31 PM   in reply to Jack Ball

My screens are from AA 9 Professional.

Shown in my shot, and in your dialog, is the Find Dialog which may get you to the Set Pages Geometry Box catagory.

As I wrote previously, and I'll admit it is mis-leading, Acrobat places the Crop Marks to the Trim definition. (Crop marks has become the standard term for Trim marks. In a lifetime in the industry no one has said "Trim Marks" in a pressroom or near the cutter. But you do not crop paper, you trim it. (Ok, we have never said "trim the paper" either))

I would be curious to understand how you are receiving files where the crop is not the same as trim. I was able to replicate it, but had to force it through Acrobat's Crop Pages > Change Page Size, but files exported from InDesign, Corel, Illy, what not, do not have this mis-match. Are you processing these files through a script, watched folder? In your original post, I would have thought the proper trim would not be 8.5 x 11, but the smaller dimension defined in the Trim.

You're workflow seems to be gang running to save click costs, but I'm not certain about the actual trim.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 2:26 PM   in reply to Jack Ball

One thing we agree on, when placeing a file into InDesign, Trim is almost always accurate to what I expect. (File > Place - Show Import Options - Crop to > Trim)

What we are not in aggreement on is where Acrobat is placing the crops when using Advanced > Trim Marks. The trim marks are retaining the trim defined before the Crop attribute was defined at a larger size.

So far, I don't believe you have crop marks into copy area. It sounds like your order entry is seeing a dimension larger than the intended final product if Place to Trim within InDesign is correct..

Call the persons submittting the files; there's no end to the ways old habits can mess up current advancements.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points