Skip navigation
Nico Boots
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop7 start problem

Feb 23, 2012 5:11 AM

On my Windows Vista PC I run several Adobe programs: the CS3 suite, Illustrator9, Reader9, but also Photoshop7 and ImageReady7. Two days ago suddenly all Adobe programs refused to start, including the Reader . Apparently, there was a problem with the licences. I have downloaded the LicenceRecovery program from Adobe Support, and having run it, as expected, all programs did run again.......except for one: Photoshop7. Every time when I start the program, it begins loading all the necessary modules, but then a Windows error message appears, saying that the program stopped running, that there is a problem (?) and that I have to close the program.

I've tried several times to de-install and re-install Photoshop7 and ImageReady7 (they both came on the same disc). Every time Set-up congratulates me that I have succesfully installed the programs, while in fact the start problem persists. ImageReady starts, Photoshop does'nt. As Photoshop7 is now an oudated program, Adobe's helpdesk refuses me to help . I suspect that something in the Windows Registry has been corrupted (by LicenceRecovery?), but I have no idea where to look for. Has anyone encountered this problem before, and If so what was the solution?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 23, 2012 5:26 AM   in reply to Nico Boots

Have you changed anything on your PC recently hardware wise? In particullar have you added a new hard drive? I'm sure i heard before that if you have a hard drive over 1TB in size, the old programs like Photoshop 7 will not install properly... if they were already installed maybe this has stopped them working? May be way off the mark there but just a thought.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 5:46 AM   in reply to Nico Boots

Ahh right good to hear And yes it seems weird that Adobe would not even attempt to assist with an older version of thier software; they could at least take you through the simple trouble shooting such as resetting your preferences.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 4:09 PM   in reply to Nico Boots

HI  I am having the same issue but on my MAC, I will try your solution and see if it works. I too am not Happy with adobe and was hung up on, and think we should all write to them regarding these issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 8:49 PM   in reply to PatriciaBruhn

HI I have tried several times and I still cant open 7 photoshop, is there anyone who knows how to fix the issue??

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,480 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 12, 2012 11:52 AM   in reply to PatriciaBruhn

You're trying to run Photoshop 7.0 on a Macintosh?

Do you have an old enough operating system to accomplish that? 

Apple has been steadily making it impossible to run older code (Photoshop 7 is what, PowerPC?) by deprecating the emulation facilities that allow you to continue to use older tools.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 12:56 PM   in reply to PatriciaBruhn

Hi Patricia,

Pls tell which version of MAC OS are you using to run PS 7.

If possible attach the screenshot of error to be looked upon.

Thanks

Ricky

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 11:30 AM   in reply to Ricky Roberts

it is 10.5.8  and I dont know how to do screen shot on a mac

Patricia Bruhn

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 11:30 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

yes a mac IBOOKG4  yes I was using it right up till I upgraded to 10.5.8

well now that just isnt right if that is true No  one should be forced to upgrading,  I cant afford a new Mac at this time.  Thanks for your info. about Apple

Patricia Bruhn

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 8:48 PM   in reply to Nico Boots

Google is your friend.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1197195?start=0&tstart=0

Photoshop 7 no longer works in Leopard OSX 10.5

Photoshop 7 was released in March 2002, it is now 10 years old.

Sorry for your problems, but you have only 2 possible solutions:

• Roll back the OS to an earlier version
    • Upgrade to a newer version of Photoshop (to save some money you could just get Photoshop Elements instead)

You might want to download a trial version to Photoshop Elements to see if it does what you need before spending any money.

Good Luck

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 11:30 AM   in reply to Bo LeBeau

HI BO, Thanks for the info  I have asked others and did do a google & apple search etc, and didnt find anything.  I owned 10.5.8 for  a year before I upgraded due to memory issues , I do own CS5, which I cant use because I need a new MAC that has intel, while it is old Photoshop, it does what I need I think the problem is when I  got the new hardrive os x tiger wasnt re installed . In  dec I lost everything when adding leopard  Thanks again  at least now I have an awswer and will spread the word.

Patricia Bruhn

Graphic Designer

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points