Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Fixing a renaming mistake.

Apr 11, 2012 1:32 PM

I just reconverted a large wedding to dng files, not remembering that I had done that last week. So now all the files are named Jamie & Ben-001-2, Jamie & Ben-002-2....& so on...I would like to rename them back to get rid of the -2 numbers. Can not find a way to do it in LR. I can do it in Bridge, but this gives me the little "?" in the corner, so I have to point LR to the file. And it does not want to find all of the nearby files, even though the "find nearby missing photos" button is checked. There was a ton of work done to these images, so I do not want to loose all of the Development History. I can just leave the numbers as they are if I have to. I just would like to correct my dumb mistake.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2012 1:41 PM   in reply to photo printer

This is kind of unclear.

Can not find a way to do it in LR. I can do it in Bridge, but this gives me the little "?" in the corner, so I have to point LR to the file.

Saying "I can do it in Bridge" is not the same as "I changed the file names in Bridge".

Did you or did you not make this change in Bridge?

If you didn't, then I would say just leave the number as they are. Forget this entire idea of renaming them, it will only cause you trouble.

If you changed the file names in Bridge, you have what we call a "mess" in technical terms, and I think you are going to have to re-link them one by one in Lightroom, or find an automated way to change the file names back so they have -2 on the end.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 1:45 PM   in reply to photo printer

In Lr select all the incorrectly named images.

Go >Library >Rename Photo. Click on the small triangle besides "Custom Settings" and select Edit.

In the Template Editor select <Original File name> as your re-naming option. See screen shot:

Filename Original.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 2:45 PM   in reply to photo printer

I'm in Lr4, too. And reverting a mis-named file to the "original file name" works perfectly.

So, try harder!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 3:12 PM   in reply to photo printer

Why, does "Jamie & Ben-001" not work?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 3:47 PM   in reply to photo printer

Can you post a screen shot of the metadata of one of these files like this:

Screen Shot 2012-04-12 at 10.46.45 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 3:48 PM   in reply to photo printer

Click the small triangle all the way to the right where it says "Custom Name" in your screen shot. Then select <Edit> and you'll get to the Template Editor. There you select <Original File Name>.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 4:00 PM   in reply to photo printer

Yes, OK. Now select <Original File Name> as the only one in the main field. Just highlight {Custom Text} and delete it. Click <Done> and <OK>.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 4:06 PM   in reply to photo printer

I think you are stuck here. With deleted files the numbering will not match as you say.

There may be ways to do this but I would just learn the lesson for now and not worry about it!!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 4:08 PM   in reply to web-weaver

What I meant was: Delete "{Custom Text}" so that only "{Original filename}" remains in the main field. Then <Done> and <OK>.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 4:13 PM   in reply to web-weaver

But the original name is the CR2 name......

web-weaver wrote:

What I meant was: Delete "{Custom Text}" so that only "{Original filename}" remains in the main field. Then <Done> and <OK>.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 4:18 PM   in reply to photo printer

Try it not with your copies. If they are copies then the "-2" is expected and Lr might consider this as the "original name" since this is the name that the copy was given when it was created.

Try it with the originally mis-named files; not with copies of the mis-named files.

It works perfectly here. I re-named a few files, then re-named back to <Original filename> with the procedure described. Works like a charm.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 4:24 PM   in reply to web-weaver

Or, if you want to try it on copies, re-name the copies "by mistake" and see if you can't get them back to the name as it was before.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 4:23 PM   in reply to photo printer

That's a great, creative way of solving your problem (and a nice piece of documentation ). Thanks for posting your solution.

For some reason, if I just entered -2 step 3, when I went to F2, the file name would show up as Jamie & Ben Wed-017.dng.dng. That is why I included the .dng in step 3.

I suspect if you would have used "Copy the filename to the title field without extension" in step 2, this would not have been necessary.

Beat

Message was edited by: b_gossweiler

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points