Skip navigation
gsimpson2004
Currently Being Moderated

User cannot create custom size postscript files

Apr 11, 2012 1:02 PM

Tags: #printing #snow_leopard #postscript

I have a user in Snow Leopard, CS 5.5 who is trying to print custom sized docs as postscript.  She can do this fine in Quark, but when she tried in Indesign it either has "custom" greyed out or it generates a document that is still 8.5 x 11 and is chopped off.

My Mac background is not strong - what should we look at?

She says that she used to have more printers on her list than she has now, and another user is showing more printers in her drop-down selection.  But the printer the other user is using calls itself "Adobe 8", and if having Acrobat installed isn't enough to generate whatever the problem user needs, I'd need to know what to do.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2012 1:05 PM   in reply to gsimpson2004

If she can’t export to create PDFs she needs to come here and explain why not.

Going to postscript is a horribly archaic process is not recommended.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 1:45 PM   in reply to gsimpson2004

You obviously aren't up on the changes to the Mac software. Check here

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3588193

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 1:47 PM   in reply to gsimpson2004

Well let's back up. Distilling Postscript to make a PDF is old technology that is not required with InDesign, which has it's own PDF library that supports interactivity, layered files, and transparency, features of a modern PDF workflow that are not supported by distilling Psostscript. Quark users have always had to distill PDF because the native export function was essentially unusable, and many converts don't realize there are better ways.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 1:54 PM   in reply to gsimpson2004

You'll wait a long time for someone more knowledgable than Bob to say, yes, postscript is a good idea.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 1:58 PM   in reply to gsimpson2004

This article may get you in the right direction.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 2:03 PM   in reply to gsimpson2004

gsimpson2004 wrote:

I’m sorry, but they say that if you don’t know why it would be necessary to work with Postscript files, we’d prefer to wait for someone who knows more about what they’re talking about to respond.

Personally, I feel you should attempt to be less condescending and rude.  Thanks.

With all due respect, it would be considerate for whoever "they" are to state why in their situation, they need PostScript files, because there are many possible reasons. Some of them are old methods that have been replaced with newer ones. Some folks retain their old workflow habits because it's sometimes costly to change workflows, even if no new equipment or software needs to be purchased.

You and "they" should be aware that this is an unpaid volunteer forum; participants are regular users like yourself and "they," not Adobe paid tech-support folks. Also, the folks here are daily users and trainers, and this forum has the greatest concentration of accurate practical InDesign knowledge and advice anywhere.

The issue is not an InDesign problem, it's a change in recent Mac OS X releases.

Search Google for terms like "create postscript file on mac os x from InDesign" without quotes for useful discussions from Adobe forums as well as from non-Adobe sources.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 2:06 PM   in reply to gsimpson2004

You’re most welcome.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 2:12 PM   in reply to peter at knowhowpro

it would be considerate for whoever "they" are to state why in their situation, they need PostScript files

You are kidding, right? The OP does not have to justify their workflow in order to ask a question on this forum... and then be berated by the lynch mob.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 4:23 PM   in reply to gsimpson2004

In general, most responders here (myself included) provide composite PDFs to our respective service bureaus and they separate the PDFs. That is what is meant by a "modern workflow."

However, I do work with a couple printers here in the US that run on a budget and need the separated files to burn. I use these guys for cost-effective two and three color work (which is great work). I have a 25 year relationship to both these printers and am not about to switch to another company just because they cannot / will not update their equipment and their workflow.

Other apps I use seem to be able to do seperated PDFs just fine from the PDF outlut dialogs. It would be nice to do so in ID, but at least in Windows the "old workflow" method is (still) intact.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points