Skip navigation
richc314159
Currently Being Moderated

how to install 32bit Premiere Element 10 on 64bit Windows7?

Apr 11, 2012 4:50 PM

Premiere Elements 10 comes with 32bit and 64bit programs.  The 2 versions each use different codecs.  My camera manufacturer only supplies 32bit codecs, so the 64bit Premiere Elements 10 program cannot work with my camera's video files.  The 32bit program works with the 32bit codecs that came with my camera, but the 32bit Adobe Premiere Elements 10 installer will not permit installation on a 64bit Windows7 (the error message directs the 64bit Premiere Elements 10 program be installed instead).

Have repeatedly contacted Adobe.  They alternately tell me to install the 32 bit program, but haven't offered any instructions as to how to get the installer to run on a 64bit Windows7 OS.  64bit Windows7 should run any 32bit or 64bit app, so I'm hoping someone can provide insight (or hopefully instructions) on how to perform 32bit install.

Note, already have tried Windows compatibility mode for forcing installation.  This gets past the installer restriction for 64bit OS, but installer still fails.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2012 5:22 PM   in reply to richc314159

Welcome to the forum.

I was wondering why you wanted to install the 32-bit version on a 64-bit OS, but you explained it well.

I do not have a direct answer for you, but you might want to take a look at this FAQ Entry from the PrPro Forum, as there is a department, just for installation issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 7:02 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

There is no reason to install the 32 bit version on a 64 bit version. The 64 bit version has to do with how the program interacts with operating system -- not your codecs.

And what model of camcorder and format of video is this anyway? Is it standard camcorder video? If so, it's not 32-bit or 64-bit dependent. (Though some people have found capturing from tape-based video sometimes works better when the operating system using Legacy Drivers for the FireWire hardware.)

That said, you can just install the 32 bit version on 64 bit Windows 7 if you'd like. Versions prior to version 10 only came in 32 bit versions. But it's a little like trying to run a marathon in a pair of work boots. You can do it -- but why cripple yourself when the other technology is designed to work more efficiently?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 7:11 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

The 64 bit version has to do with how the program interacts with operating system -- not your codecs.

Steve,

Are you certain about that?

The reason that I ask is that when PrPro CS 5 went 64-bit, users had to wait until many vendors rewrote their CODEC's, and also the Effects, some of which is still a "work in progress."

Just curious,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 7:44 PM   in reply to richc314159

Now, as CODEC's are installed into the OS, and then used by players, NLE's, etc., I can see Steve's point.

Effects/plug-ins are used within the actual program, and are not OS-specific, but program-specific.

In the case of PrPro CS 5, the OS HAD to be 64-bit, so everyone went that route. It was THEN, that many had to wait for 64-bit CODEC's to be released. That was pretty much done, before PrE 10 w/ a 32-bit and 64-bit version came about. The people, who wrote Lagarith Lossless, and UT Lossless got busy, and issued 64-bit versions of their CODEC's, but that was to accommodate the OS (where CODEC's are installed), and not directly the NLE program.

Does your 32-bit version of the CODEC install on your 64-bit OS? If so, then it should work with PrE 64-bit. If not, then having the 32-bit version of PrE will make no difference.

Yes, upon reflection, I see where Steve was coming from.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 8:51 PM   in reply to richc314159

If you have Win7 64bit PRO or higher, try Microsoft's Virtual XP

Virtual XP is, of course, designed for ANY old 32bit program, not just the EXAMPLE program discussed at this link... so if you have an old 32bit program that won't work with Win7 64bit PRO or higher, it is free to try this to see if it solves your problem

This is only ONE example of using Virtual XP http://forums.adobe.com/thread/702693

-And a Tutorial http://windowssecrets.com/newsletter/using-windows-7s-xp-mode-step-by- step/

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points