Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Masking challange

Apr 11, 2012 11:05 AM

Hi All

I have a challange removing the background for this piece of juvellery.

I want a complete neutral background. Would be cool if I could keep the shadows from the links.

I'm using Photoshop 12 (CS5).

Do you have some ideas as of how to arttack this problem?

-- Søren

film1120img132.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2012 11:31 AM   in reply to Søren Langkilde Madsen

Many ways to do this.  Most involve selecting the part of the image you don't want and substituting something else.

Check out this tutorial to give you some ideas.  http://tv.adobe.com/watch/the-russell-brown-show/masking-basics-in-pho toshop-cs5/

Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 12:16 PM   in reply to Søren Langkilde Madsen

If you meant exactly what you said, that is, that you wanted only a completely neutral background, then here is an example using your original background, which is now neutral. If you meant something else, then  more details would be needed. If what you really need is to eliminate all of the textured background then that is a bit more work.

Paulo

Capture.PNG

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 1:19 PM   in reply to Søren Langkilde Madsen

I thought you might be asking to remove the textured background. The simplest approach, though not always possible, is to reshoot the jewelry.  If you must work with the image then painting in a mask is one approach which may work for this image, but I would suggest eliminating only the textured areas that have no shadows. In other words, keep the shadows. If you are not familiar with other selection techniques then painting a mask may turn out to be the quickest solution for you.

Personally, I would use the pen tool to create paths, which you can then turn into selections and refine them if needed. The nice geometry of the rings should make this  work well. Alternatively, you could try using the magnetic lasso tool as the black edges of the shadows should trace nicely.

Paulo

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2012 5:16 PM   in reply to Søren Langkilde Madsen

Some food for thought, in no particular order:

• Work at a high resolution, upsample if need be, so that hand selections and whatnot are very accurate from the perspective of the overall image.

• Don't be afraid of a little hard work...  For images that don't lend themselves to being automatically processed, there are always path and selection tools you can use to do the work by hand.

• If you want to put things on new backgrounds think about the lighting too - in this case, don't forget about the shadows...

Some visuals to get your creative thoughts flowing...

C1.jpg

C2.jpg

C3.jpg

C4.jpg

C5.jpg

C6.jpg

C7.jpg

C8.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as: