Skip navigation
Immaculens
Currently Being Moderated

Import: Copy to DNG ... Poll ~ How many do this now?

Apr 10, 2012 11:43 PM

Still on a learning curve here as to the import "Copy to DNG" option...

I saw that a 27mb Raw file became a 22mb DNG file - or about 20% smaller.  If a DNG file does essentially keep all Raw info and ACR7 essentially treats a DNG file like a Raw and we can manipulate that file the same way - AND DNG can presumably load 8x faster in to the Develop Module in Lr4 - what are the downsides to importing as "Copy to DNG" and using DNG??

Thank-you

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2012 2:26 AM   in reply to Immaculens

i do it for a while now..... 2-3 years.

risks i see.. you don´t know 100% what is done with the RAW data.

i have to trust the people who know more about the internals then i do.... but i did not see a negative effect yet.

i can´t use the original RAW software for my camera anymore.

if canon builds some great stuff in DPP, like some lens corrections via software, i can only hope that other software, that supports DNG, will copy the features.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 2:42 PM   in reply to Immaculens

Yes I do it as well.  As mentioned above there are a few drawbacks but overall I prefer DNG.  I do not use Nikon's software so that's not an issue for me. However, it also restricts one from using DXO and Capture One software as they will only work with the original camera RAW file and not DNG. 

I'm not too fond of .xmp files and I like the fact, as you mentioned, how DNG's save space by losslessly compressing the file by about 5-10%.  It's also nice to have everything contained in one file including the metadata.  I have been doing it for over 4 years now and have converted all .NEFs to DNG.  One other drawback is that when doing a backup, if you've made any changes, it has to back up the whole file or files and not just the .xmp sidecar file.  By overwriting the whole file, there is a chance for corruption.  Using a normal RAW file with sidecar file will not ever overwrite the original RAW file.  So far, I have had no issues with that.

It really would be great if DNG became an ISO world standard as I think other software companies would implement DNG and possibly even camera manufactuers.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 6:38 PM   in reply to Immaculens

I do NOT convert to DNG

1. risk - what if there is a bug? something gets 'changed' in the conversion
    2. I can always convert later if LR should ever stop supporting my version of NEF files (D90)
    3. Disk space is not (should not) be an issue, its too cheap
    4. Not many (any?) 3rd party apps support DNG, so no advantage there
    5. So don't do anything you don't have to do

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 7:13 PM   in reply to Immaculens

I always convert to DNG, typical workflow is:

1. Import original CR2 files (obviously backed up offsite)

2. Scan and mark those rejected photos

3. Delete rejected photos

4. Convert to DNG deleting originals during the conversion process.

So far this process has worked for me.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rusty Sterling
    81 posts
    Feb 21, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 12, 2012 12:31 AM   in reply to Immaculens

I have imported to DNG long before I used LR. I did this in Adobe Bridge and have not changed my practice since adopting LR with the LR3 version. And there are a few camera manufacturers that have adopted the DNG format as their native format, including Ricoh and Leica. I anticipate DNG becoming more common in the future. But I do not anticipate Canon or Nikon giving in until they really have to.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points