Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Acrobat Pro X, Mac, and Scanning with HP Deskjet Issue!

Mar 18, 2012 4:34 PM

Tags: #acrobat #adobe #mac #hp #prox #deskjet

I am running Adobe Acrobat X Pro on Lion and when I go to scan from PDF, my HP Deskjet 3052 A scanner isn't showing up in the drop down menu.  I also have Acrobat Pro X for Windows on my machine (VMWare) and it works fine, but it won't work with the Mac version.  I have called Adobe and HP and neither have been able to help me.  I bought this program with this feature in mind, and I am sick of having to toggle back to Windows to scan, as it eats up a lot of my processing power.  I have downloaded the SANE and TWAIN drivers (or so I thought I did) with no luck.  I have also un-installed and re-installed the printer and Adobe multiple times, with no luck!  Please help me!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 19, 2012 9:33 AM   in reply to CoachCJV

Check in the system preferences in Printer/Fax If your HP device is Combo Printer Scan you might have to change to Scanner first.

See this: https://skitch.com/pjonescet/8mj2e/print-and-fax-32-bit 

Switch to scan first and set up as necessary. the quit or hide Printer Fax

Now see if the scanner show up in Acrobat.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2012 2:41 PM   in reply to CoachCJV

Did you click on the link provided in my answer. The way HP Printer scanners are setup you can use one or the other but not both at the same time.

Switch to scan in Printer/Fax. Then go back acrobat choose PDF from Scanner.  the scanner should then show up or you can select it.  Then you can use the the scanner. To print you have to go back and switch back to the printer.

Both don't work at the same time.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 7:48 AM   in reply to CoachCJV

Okay your is setup similar to mine.

Click on the scan Tab.

Setup as necessary (If necessary)

Now quit Printer/Fax (leaving it with Scan Tab activated).

Now go to acrobat and create PDF from Scan : http://www.screencast.com/t/WGSYIjJWOEd3

Next as shown here: http://screencast.com/t/QqDXVA6qXpXM click on button as shown and slect your scanner.

You can now make a scan.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 6:37 AM   in reply to CoachCJV

Just spoke with Adobe support yesterday (case 183132362). They say they don't support scanning on OS X 10.7. The agent said one has to scan with another program and then use Acrobat X Pro from there. It sure sounds like a bug to me. I'm going to use Image Capture and have it scan to Acrobat. I hope that deals with most of my needs.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 9:08 PM   in reply to Chip Nowacek

I also was not able to get Acrobat to drive my HP printer/scanner (I have an HP Photosmart Premium). But I was able to use the HP software to drive Acrobat by using System Preferences. These are the steps I followed:

1. Open System Preferences and click on Print & Scan.

2. Select my Printer in the Print & Scan db, and then clicking the Scan button.

3. Click on the "Open Scanner" button.

4. In the dialog box for the HP printer (Photosmart Prem C310 series), click Scanner in the top right corner.

Make sure the Details are showing.

I set these options in the Scanner Details:

Kind: Text

Resolution: 300

Scan To: Adobe Acrobat Pro.app

Name: Scan

Format: PDF

Then I clicked Scan. This scanned the document and opened it automatically in Acrobat X.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 9:25 AM   in reply to Kevin Susco

Hello Kevin,

Yes Adobe Acrobate X Pro does not support HP Photosmart Plus scanning.
    I have had the same issue for months, but like you I found that I can scan a document from the Printer/Scan box in System Prefs (not ideal).
    One can also scan a document using HP Scan and then convert it using Adobe OCR recognition, this is another work-around.

Hopefully Adobe will update their software sometime to accomodated HP users!

P.S. How do you get it to "Scan To: Adobe Acrobat Pro.app"? My system won't let me click on the Acrobate program to select it (in applications)as it is greyed out.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 6:56 PM   in reply to Tim-from-coll

This is ridiculous.  I just "upgraded" to an HP scanner from a Brother and I find myself having a more difficult time with Acrobat.  How is it possible that Adobe does not support HP scanners?  I have tried everything here and none of it seems to work.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 11:19 AM   in reply to Tim-from-coll

I spent hours yesterday and all day today to find out that there is not a solution. Couldn't be more frustrated.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2012 11:55 AM   in reply to sclegalnurse

I am having the same problem with my HP 7515.  Adobe X with iMac.  Won't recognize the scanner.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2012 11:02 AM   in reply to CoachCJV

last update I see in this thread is from July, but since I just purchased a new HP Photosmart printer and now I can't create PDF from scanner (nothing shows up in scanner drop down) - I'm guessing this still hasn't been addressed.

I am baffled as to how such a simple function can be released broken and remain unaddressed for so long.

Any word from Adobe as to when this very important feature will be fixed?  Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2012 11:08 AM   in reply to cmoczarski

Adobe say it's up to HP to support their own scanners and that it's not an Adobe issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2012 11:16 AM   in reply to Tim-from-coll

Wow - what incredible customer support ... loosely translated ... "screw the customer, it's the other guys problem".

Thanks for the response Tim - I'll quit wasting my time with Adobe now.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2012 10:53 AM   in reply to CoachCJV

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03378792&cc=uk&dl c=en&lc=en&os=219&product=3777182&sw_lang=#N469

Depending on your printer and the type of driver update, you might need to scan in a different way than you did before you installed Mountain Lion.

NOTE:Scanning to the computer from the printer control panel is not available when you scan with Preview, Image Capture, or Printer browser methods. You must use HP Scan software to scan from the printer.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2012 11:33 AM   in reply to CoachCJV

It looks like you cannot scan from your HP device.  Apparently the reason is that Adobe only supports the TWAIN-compliant software for scanning, but the HP device is not TWAIN-compliant, it is ICA-Compliant. 

Pretty lame on both companies.  Neither can seem to answer the simple question of why, it took a fair amount of research.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Mac-Printing-and-Scanning/Scan-from-Adobe -Acrobat-Pro-to-Photosmart-7510/td-p/1666517

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 10:11 AM   in reply to CoachCJV

Unfortunately, Coach, seems like you will need to do the (silly) steps that I do by scanning in with Preview first, then open the particular file with Acrobat. Annoys the crap out of me! One would think it more streamlined to go 'Create' >> 'PDF from Scanner' >> Choose scanner ... from within Acrobat.

Hmmm ....

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 11:09 AM   in reply to Chip Nowacek

Baloney. It depends upon the Scanner. I have c310 ePrinter/Scanner.

The Twain Specification has been out since Apple came out with a Scanner on their own  about 1990.  And If yu will look for S.A.N.E for Macintosh.

Install the appropriate software. Then look for the proper  Driver in the list. It's slow but it works.

I used with a UMAX Scanner for ages using the SANE/Twain software back bac as far back as Acrobat 4.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2013 2:34 PM   in reply to CoachCJV

So today, January 18, 2013, OSX 10.8.2 has released the newest HP Drivers, and still this problem persists. I decided to cal HP, and will save you all the long conversation, because it all comes down to this one thing: According to HP, if the printer prints, and it scans using THEIR scan utility, then the hardware works as it was intended and their is no problem. They basically said, and hung up on me when I asked for clarification, that HP designs its products to work with its software and could care less if it doesn't work with another companies software.

The ball, as they say, is now in Adobe's court as to wheather they will attemp to please their consumers and make this work, or if we as consumers need to buy something other than HP FROM NOW ON.

I, for one, have been scanning directly into Adobe products since 1993, and am very discouraged that I am now being prevented from doing so.

Mac OSX 10.8.2

HP OfficeJet 6500A Plus (which may be available at my next garage sale!)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2013 8:24 AM   in reply to nutrdoc

It's HP not Adobe who are not cooperating on this.

I've now changed my printer to a Brother printer, as I've given up on HP; they are not interested in Mac users.
    Brother provides the necessary Twain driver for their printer - HP doesn't and won't.
    Adobe Acrobate scanning works fine with Brother software and their inks are cheaper.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2013 3:01 PM   in reply to Tim-from-coll

Today I purchased Acrobat XI and after spending an hour or so trying to configure the HP D110 as a scanner, finally ran onto this thread.  I'll use the HP app to scan and hope that Adobe or HP finds a solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2013 7:15 AM   in reply to ramnj1
    1. Okay you need to go into Print/Scan.
    2. In System Preferences and switch to scanner
    3. Quit then go to acrobat and set up printer.

PrintScan.png

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 12:00 PM   in reply to Tim-from-coll

Hi Tim-from-coll,

There is no need to go to the system prefs everytime you want to scan something... just make sure you keep the icon for your printer/scanner in the dock (or from there drag it on the launchpad icon in the dock to add it to the launchpad - this is what I did). You can also achieve this by going to your (hidden) ~/Library/Printers/ folder from where you can drag it to the dock or to the launchpad (by dragging on the launchpad icon in the dock).

So for me, scanning to Acrobat Pro XI (or X) just takes three clicks: (1) to launch the printer/scanner by clicking on it in the dock or the launchpad, (2) click on scanner icon in the printer/scanner window that had just opened and (3) then click on scan (after having selected Scan to: Acrobat Pro XI in the details panel to the right of the scanner window).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 3:03 AM   in reply to CoachCJV

Hi CoachCJV,

For Mac OS X 10.8, Acrobat only support TWAIN dirvers. We are working to include ICA support in future releases. So you need to install TWAIN drivers for your scanner to show up.

Solution is to install TWAIN drivers for your scanner. I think HP stopped providing TWAIN Drivers for 10.7 and 10.8. You can try downloading the drivers from:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem= dj-85603-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4082&product=4066429&sw_lang=

Select your OS as 10.6, download and install the .dmg. I think they should work on 10.8 too

Thanks

Varinder

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 8:59 AM   in reply to Varinder.Saini

I use a C310 ePrinter from HP and it works with OSX7 and 8.

And it works just fine with Acrobat.

In order to make it show up when setting up and use:

1. click on Apple menu
    2. Go to system preferences
    3. Print & Scan

screenshot_82.png

4. Click on Scan

screenshot_83.png

5. Now get out of Preferences
    6. Now Open Acrobat
    7. Go to Create PDF from Scanner
    8. Click on button to select Scanner
    9. The scanner will now appear.
    10. Set up the rest of the scan window create your PDF.

Works  Great.  HP already use Proper Driver. Its just setting the Print Scan Control Panel first so it is recognized as a Scanner.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 9:28 AM   in reply to Phillip Jones

Following the directions below using HP Photosmart 6510 and OSX 10.8.4 and Adobe Acrobat XI Pro

Step 8  Click on button to select Scanner

You see Scanner: “Please select a device” (drop down box).  When you click the drop down … all you see is “Please select a device” with a check next to it.

Seriously – two industry standards that can’t seem to play well together – HP blames Adobe, Adobe blames HP.  Both have had several months to resolve … very frustrating.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 10:38 AM   in reply to cmoczarski

Driver must not be Compatible OSX.8.4.

I've had to replace two Printers as a result of HP not updating Drivers for new OSX versions, but its usually been 5-10 years apart. I still rather update I don't like the way epson feeds paper like a fax machine. Difficult to do duplex and keep everything lined up.  Don't know enough about Brother to Try out. I figure they will do the same as soon as a new system.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 1:53 AM   in reply to Phillip Jones

Guys,

We have rolled out latest update 11.0.4 that supports ImageCapture (ICA drivers) for OS X 10.7 onwards. You can change the preferences to ImageCapture to make it the default scanning method.

pref.png

Thanks,

Varinder

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2013 4:21 PM   in reply to Varinder.Saini

Although changing to 'imagecapture' finally allowed Acrobat Pro to recognized my HP Officejet Pro  8500 printer, the final scanned image is distorted and blurry.

The Overview Scan looks normal (see image below).

Overscan View.jpg

But once the image is scanned, this is what it looks like:

Adobe Pro Scan issue.jpg

This is the same for any document I try to scan.  I can go back to Mac Os x Preview app and the documents scan properly.  Is anyone else having this issue?

Thanks,

Billy White

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2013 12:33 AM   in reply to Early Cuyler

Hi Billy,

There is an issue with few Officejet scanners  and we are working to resolve these. In the meanwhile you can try installing Twain drivers for your scanner from:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem= mp-74801-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4082&product=3752456&sw_lang=

Thanks

Varinder

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 3:58 PM   in reply to Varinder.Saini

Hi Varinder,

Is there a newer Twain driver that works with Officejet 8600 & Acrobat 10.1.8?

I just purchased & installed new HP 8600 Officejet Pro & cannot scan through Acrobat 10.1.8 on either of my Macs running OS 10.8.5. I tried the link above for the Twain drivers, but no luck.

Acrobat finds the printer & prints just fine. But it does not see the device when I choose Create/From Scanner: Input option says "select a device," doesn't offer anything under Scanner.

On my older HP 7700 printer, I did use the Twain drivers & it worked fine. But when I loaded Twain for this printer (after de-installing the older printer & sw), the 8600 printer is not detected/doesn't show up as a choice in set up menu on Mac.

I can run the HP scanner through the Mac System Preferences/Scan, but it is many more keystrokes, requires going in & out of Acrobat, than doing it through Acrobat. This is huge hassle as I use this program all day in my work as a designer.

HP has been completely unhelpful on this problem, I have spent literally a few hours on their "help" line.

I hope you will have a link for Twain that works for the HP 8600.

thanks,

Fan

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2013 11:19 PM   in reply to FADesign

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2013 8:10 PM   in reply to Varinder.Saini

I uninstalled the other HP drivers & installed above driver in your link, but still no luck.

Acrobat found the printer, but Acrobat could not see the scanner.

(I am able to use the scanner through System Preferences with driver you suggest above, as with previous driver I downloaded.)

Other ideas?

thanks,

Fan

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2013 11:21 PM   in reply to FADesign

That means HP is not providing TWAIN driver. Try this dirver, it might provide TWAIN support. Its meant for OS X 10.5 but I guess it should work fine on 10.8

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem= mp-97865-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4019&product=4323659&sw_lang=

If even this driver does not work then there is no way Acrobat will recognize this scanner because Acrobat 10 only supports TWAIN driver.

Thanks

Varinder

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2013 11:24 PM   in reply to FADesign

By the way I just found out in HP's user manual:

"The HP Scanning Software does not support TWAIN and WIA scanning on

computers running Mac OS X."

(Page 46: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03026243.pdf)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points