Skip navigation

Flash Player 11.2.202.228 - still get this green screen on videos

Mar 29, 2012 6:24 AM

Latest reply: cart3l, Oct 29, 2012 9:23 PM
Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2012 9:19 AM   in reply to rockbuilder

On the Bug report most have found that downloading updated drivers for the video card solved the problem. Yours does sound a little different but check for updates on your video driver anyway to see if it helps. Did you check with FireFox for help...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 6:06 PM   in reply to CharlieTwo1

My video drivers are updated and I still have the problem.  The only solution for me right now is to disable hardware acceleration.  I don't use Firefox, so I haven't tried their help.  I've heard from others with nvidia cards who solved the problem with a driver update, but mine is a new laptop with a new card that's fully updated -- and I've heard from others with the same card who have the same problem as I.  So I think it's a bug that Adobe needs to address.

"You must do this work with love or you fail."    -- John Muir, from How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive

[private data removed]

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 1:31 PM   in reply to mtbusman

Let me add that, like others, flash video used to play fine before the latest flash player update to the current version.  There was not driver conflict at that time.  If I could, I would go back to a previous version of flash player, but when I installed one, websites with flash videos still would not play and directed me to the adobe site to update the player to the new version.  So, as I said, the only thing that has helped is disabling hardware acceleration.  It would be great for Adobe Flash to fix this bug, so those of  with this problem can get the benefits of hardware acceleration. Perhaps as others post this issue and vote on the bug reports, Adobe will address the issue. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,455 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2012 5:59 PM   in reply to mtbusman

In most cases, either updating to the newest video drivers or disabling hardware acceleration will resolve this bug.

Here's the background story on why we believe this occurred. 

With Flash Player 11.2.202.228 we removed some internal code specific to Nvidia that was causing many issues with Stage3D and StageVideo.  After this change, we ran our normal certification passes and we discovered this green screen/bar bug against older beta Nvidia drivers. We confirmed both internally and with Nvidia that it was not present with shipping versions of their driver and the bug was closed.  Unfortunately, based on reports on the forum and other locations it appears that this is still a problem with a limited set of GPU's.  We're going to continue to investigate this problem and I'll see how we can try to minimize issues like this in the future.

As soon as I have additional information I'll update this post.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,455 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Apr 10, 2012 6:01 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Joan Lafferty, an engineering manager on the Flash Player team, has created a blog entry detailing her experience with this bug and she solved it on her system.

Updating My Flash Player Causes A Green Bar For Videos!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 10:18 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Hi I had a problem playing Youtube videos. Some videos turns green. This occur when I am using Nvidia 285.62 driver with the latest adobe flash player version 11.2.202.228. I fix the problem by updating my nvidia driver from 285.62 to 296.10. However, I reinstall the 285.62 because of the TDR problem in the latest 296.10 video driver. Unticking the "Enable Hardware Acceleration" also fix the problem but decrease performance when playing Youtube video. I hope there is something we can do about this on the next flash player version and considering the compatibility with 285.62 drivers. Thank you and more power.

My Specs are:

Intel Dual Core E5300 2.6ghz (Stock Never Overclocked)

ASUS P5KPL AM-SE

Inno3d GTS450 ddr5 128bit 1gb (Never Overclocked) Driver Version: 285.62(Stable)

4gb Kingson ddr2

500gb Seagate

Antec R8-2 650watts bronze 80+

Windows 7 ultimate 64bit

Adobe flash player version: 11.2.202.228 (Green Problem)

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,455 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Apr 11, 2012 12:04 PM   in reply to Phoebe28

In an attempt to consolidate numerous threads about video problems with Flash Player 11.2.202.228 I've created a new post where I'd like to have people who are still encountering this issue to either post or link to an existing post with their information.

Video investigation with Flash Player 11.2.202.228

We're asking for 4 pieces of information

1. A brief explanation of the problem

2. Did disabling hardware acceleration fix the issue

3. A sample URL

4. A copy of your dxdiag report

If you've already provided all 4 answers to us, thank you and please take a minute and copy the URL of your post (right click on the highlighted title of your post as shown in the example screenshot below) and paste it as a reply so your input is not lost.

4-11-2012 12-02-01 PM.png

If you haven't provided these answers, we ask that you take a few minutes and create a new post with the required information. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 6:24 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Chris, et. al.,

I took a look at Joan Lafferty''s page, "Updating My Flash Player Causes a Green Bar for Videos", and realized that I was relying on windows for checking for updates to the driver for my Nvidia Quadro 1000m GPU.  I had worked from device manager to check for a driver update and windows assured me I had the latest driver.

I went to the Nvidia site and downloaded a new driver for the Quadro 1000m -- and now the green bar is gone even with hardware acceleration turned on.  I am now using the 296.35 driver.  Unless my system has issues with this new driver, my problem is solved.

I have no idea if this approach will work for everyone else who has had this problem -- I guess we should emphasize that when checking to see if there is a driver update for an Nvidia GPU, to check the Nvidia site to be sure.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 6:57 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Chris, you may want to include the Browser, I have IE 9 and it does have some glitches that causes it to freeze or drop off when playing videos. Windows did send a fix to me which looked to be some IE 7 stuff. The Nvidia driver upgrade did solve the green screen problem for me. So Nvidia driver was not the only problem.

Charles

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 8:43 PM   in reply to mtbusman

Personally I am running high-end 3D applications on a workstation class laptop. Only drivers qualified by the manufacturer of the computer are qualified for the applications I run. I could go ahead and install the latest drivers from NVIDIA but I could very well run into a whole bunch of new problems with these applications that I am not interesedt running and wasting any time into. Been there is the past...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 8:59 PM   in reply to dacct

I just found a solution that seem to work for me with Hardware Accelaration enabled: forcing Firefox and IE to make use of the Integrated Graphics (default was Use Global Settings (Auto-Select)) via the NVIDIA Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings panel.

Otherwise with the default Use Global Settings (Auto-Select) option flash videos show green band in Firefox, and causes IE to stop working. Both apps run flash videos when Hardware Acceleration is disabled.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2012 8:46 AM   in reply to dacct

I'm experiencing this green band with, for example, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17944765.

Browser independent, tried 3 versions of v11 flash player in FF 11 - still the same.

As per posts above, rt click and disable hardware acceleration, AND then refresh page allows video to play normally.

HP G60 laptop, Vista 32 bit, latest available driver from HP.

Note: laptops cannot automatically update using generic drivers. De facto, this is not derived from the latest Nvidia build.

Noted Adobe post referred to above is closed -seems to read 'Identified, will be solved at some point later'

Hope this will be solved.. 

I'm wondering why reverting to an older flash build didn't solve this 'tho..

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2012 6:20 PM   in reply to dalchina

dalchina wrote:

Note: laptops cannot automatically update using generic drivers. De facto, this is not derived from the latest Nvidia build.

You can manually update the drivers; see http://forums.adobe.com/thread/945765

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2012 10:26 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

Hi Pat, Sure, you can do all sorts of things manually. They may not be advisable.

Any laptop manufacturer I've had anything to do with is adamant that 'Thou shallst only use the drivers thy laptop manufacturer has provided for thee' - that is, they are customised.

Industry advice (and my personal experience after trying manual upgrades) is that randomly trying drivers not tested and generated by the laptop manufacturer and customised for the hardware is in particular inadvisable for the graphics driver. (Nvidia in this case). Some discussion here:

http://lifehacker.com/5912682/do-i-really-need-to-update-my-drivers

Comment here:

http://www.playtool.com/pages/installgraphics/install.html

Laptop display drivers are a bit different than those used by desktops. Laptop display drivers are customized by the manufacturer of the laptop for that specific model. You are supposed to get those display drivers only from the manufacturer of the laptop. The problem with those drivers is that they often are out of date. And the truth is that the laptop manufacturers usually don't actually customize the drivers. If you have an ATI or NVIDIA GPU in your laptop, then you can try the Omega drivers. They don't always work but they are usually more recent drivers than the ones available from the laptop makers so they are worth a try.

I'm assuming you've never had a laptop or never encountered an issue.

If Adobe does not respect this customisation by laptop manufacturers, and provide a usable product which works in normal user environments, it would appear they are making a mistake.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2012 11:44 PM   in reply to dalchina

dalchina wrote:

I'm assuming you've never had a laptop or never encountered an issue.

I'm writing this from my Dell Latitude E5520 laptop.  The display adapter is an Intel HD Graphics 3000, which gets a new driver installed every time Intel releases a new version.

Something goes wrong with the driver install: it is very easy to roll back the driver from the Device Manager, or even do a System Restore.

If I'd wait for Dell to release a new driver, I'd be still sitting with the original Windows 7 driver...

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 5:21 AM   in reply to Pat Willener

Hi Pat, First updating the Nvidia graphics driver seems to have fixed the problem.

Second, I quite agree with you about the outdatedness of manufacturer builds- HP's driver is 2010, my version (1 build higher in fact) was 2011, reluctantly I've updated to the latest Nvidia driver version.

(Mine was already the 'best' version found via Windows driver update).

So I used Drivermax to find  a later build.

Maybe I'm thinking of a crash I had with my previous laptop when doing a similar 'later than manufacturer' update.

But I believe the general caution holds re. applying random generic driver builds to laptops. Only do it if you need to.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 1:42 PM   in reply to dalchina

Having the exact same green screen problem. 

Just bought an EVGA GeForce GTX550 Ti, upgraded from XFX GeForce 9500 GT. 

Don't know if it's the flash update or the new NVIDIA card, but I'm getting green screens on a lot of videos (example video http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oCruJzlWefE). 

My video card driver is updated (v296.10). 

Turning off hardware acceleration through flash player works.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 7:01 PM   in reply to UnhappyGreenScreen

UnhappyGreenScreen wrote:

My video card driver is updated (v296.10).

According to the Nvidia site, the latest driver for your device is 301.42

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 7:08 PM   in reply to dalchina

dalchina wrote:

But I believe the general caution holds re. applying random generic driver builds to laptops. Only do it if you need to.

You are quite right; I am not advocating driver updating just for updates' sake.  "If it ain't broke...", as many people say...

But new Flash Player versions rely on newest technologies from GPU makers, and that often includes the newest driver versions, with fixes that are not on older versions.

I know that for average computer users a driver update can be a frightening thing.  But tools like Drivermax (the best in the field!) can make this task quite easy.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 2:02 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Really wish you knuckle heads at adobe would stop patronizing us... you know damn well whats wrong here.  You know someone screwed up the lastest release royally... who's the new guy?  Stop playing games with us trying to make us believe we have input and you care so damn much and FIX IT!!  You should all be embarrassed.  Just FIX IT!!  You are the experts... if you were a cab company this would be the equivalent of all of your cabs being out of gas and you telling us you understand and we should file a complaint but you need the following info:

Cab driver name

Cab number

Date of cab ride

Time of cab ride

Destination address

Color of Cab

Number of people who needed a ride

etc...

Just stop... your programmers know what the damn oops was by now... FIX IT!  Fools... just fix it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 3:19 PM   in reply to LDFox77

You do realize that Flash is up to version 11.3.300.257 at the time of this writing, and most likely has these probelms fixed. If they are not fixed, I suggest you start a new thread. I have not had this problem in a long time now. Further, I don't see how getting irate and demanding they FIX FIX FIX it is going to help. You need to read, update, contribute. You're just a grumpy old goat and prefer to ***** instead.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 3:45 PM   in reply to JDelphiki

And you are a fool who doesn't know your rights as a consumer.  If this were fixed I wouldn't respond here.  I am well aware of the current version and well aware that the issue remains.  Soooo happy to hear you are the anomaly but you taking my discontent with a product that is not your own personally and resulting to name calling shows exactly what you are and what you are made of without my having to do the same.  Allow others to have their opinions.  I don't know you and don't care to so my message had nothing to do with you.  Grow up.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 5:02 PM   in reply to LDFox77

You started with the name-calling and finger pointing (knuckleheads, fools)... but I digress. You're right. That was rude of me to respond in that tone. Let me rephrase and re-establish myself from a better perspective.

Firstly, I do know and understand my rights as a consumer. Flash Player however, is a free product. We didn't pay to have it. If you use Adobe Authoring tools such as Flash Pro, I can understand your frustration. However, whether you use a free version or it came with your paid product, we all drink from the same trough.

Moreover, I don't understand your hesitation in providing information about your system and submitting a bug report. Do you realize that to troubleshoot this problem, Adobe would need information based on your input? Unless you are simpleton and assume everyone has all the same computer parts? Besides, your very clever simile regarding the cabs is inherently flawed. Flash has no 'gas' so to speak. It does however, have an 'engine' (hardware) that it runs on. Continuing this analogy, you would still need to know the cab information to 'put gas in the vehicle' or to 'fix the engine'... as it is highly unlikely that all cabs would be broken down at the same time.

I do stand behind my statement recommending that you start a new thread. This thread was specifically for Flash Player version 11.2.202.228. The thread title is quite specific, yet you jump into this month’s old thread and complain about how they screwed up the latest release. The new guy is you.

If you cared to read the bugbase we built on this issue (https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3158029) you would have seen that they did in fact fix this issue and put it into the subsequent releases.

I went through this whole thread numerous times. There are numerous suggestions and answers, which in the end fixed my issue permanently (and a fix made it into a release). I am not an anomaly, I just happened to read, listen, and try to provide feedback.  This worked, as you seem to be the only one at the moment who seems to still have this issue. Yet refuse to do anything that would allow Adobe or others in assisting you.

So thank you, for showing us what you are made of... and allowing me to show you what I'm made of.

Who's the fool who needs to grow up?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 5:25 PM   in reply to JDelphiki

Sorry I just can't even bother to read all of the ramblings of a fool.  So, I will respond to what I stopped at... If you think being a consumer is only a matter of what you PAY for then you're younger and more ignorant than I thought.  You have no clue of economics and marketing... so I will copy and paste for you one definition from the web in hopes that it will help you evolve.  "A consumer is a person or group of people that are the final users of products and or services generated within a social system" - wiki

Now... by all means feel free to grow up fast and as I stated earlier, my comment had nothing to do with you.  Unless you own stock in adobe I suggest you not take this so seriously.  I'm sure (please tell me I'm right about this) that you have better things to do than challenge an old grumpy goat about a free adobe product.  LOL 

I will not respond again.  If you're one of those "gotta have the last word" types feel free and make it a good one.  I am unsubscribing from this ridiculous thread, will not reply here again and will wait for those responsible for this blunder to get their heads out of their a$$es and fix the damn thing while children like you accept it and enjoy spending your time and energy on allowing them to patronize you with BS.  Wake up youngin... you're sounding more and more foolish with each post.  Again I say... GROW UP. 

Good afternoon, good evening and good night... (truman show LOL)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 9:33 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

Pat Willener wrote:

dalchina wrote:

I know that for average computer users a driver update can be a frightening thing.  But tools like Drivermax (the best in the field!) can make this task quite easy.

For those with Nvidia Notebook cards (mine is a Quadro 1000M), the Nvidia website isn't too difficult.  People can go to the drivers section where they can search for an updated driver two ways.  They can give the GPU name and series, or they can allow the Nvidia site to scan their system, identify the GPU and determine if a new driver is available.  I think this is a safer way to go than Drivermax (I had to roll back from one of the drivers recommended for me by Drivermax).

As to the question of whether or not we should stay with driver versions designed for specific manufacurers and models of laptops, I think it depends on the laptop.  With my old Toshiba, there was an ATI driver specifically designed Toshiba.  However, with the Quadro 1000M in my Lenovo, there was no information in the driver specs that referred to Lenovo or my specific laptop model.  And the new driver from the Nvidia website has worked like a charm.  I'm thinking that if people with go to the control panel for their GPU and look at the system information given there, they can check out the driver information there.  If the name and version of the driver given doesn't say anything about your laptop model, getting the latest driver that is designed for you GPU should work. 

The other thing I learned from the green screen issue is that I can't depend on windows to find and install the lastest driver for my GPU.  Better to go to updates from your laptop manufacturer and/or the manufacturer of the GPU to see if there is a more current driver.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 6:07 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

If you cared to read this thread, you would find that the bugbase we built on this issue (https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3158029) indicates that they did in fact fix this issue and put it into the subsequent releases. Simply upgrading your player to the latest version should remove the issue. If not, it would be prudent to create a new thread. It would also help them to fix it if you are having this issue using the more newly released patches, by creating your own bug in the bugbase and providing the following information:

OS version

Browser version

Flash Player version

DXDiag report

Exact URL where you experience this bug

Any additional steps or findings that you think are applicable

You can find most of this information by visiting this website: http://supportdetails.com/

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2012 12:06 PM   in reply to JDelphiki

Still get Green Screen - everywhere. YouTube, VK, some other sites with flashplayers.

GTX560 ti\OC . Driver version: Version    301.42

FlashPlayer  11.4.402.287

Windows 7 64

Hardware Aceleration is off.

Browsers: Opera  (Version 12.02\ x86)

Same sh*t on FireFox and IE9.

How to downgrade the flashplayer?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2012 12:14 PM   in reply to GreenScreenProblem

This thread needs to be closed, because people are not reading through this to find the answers, which have been repeatedly posted here.

Your video driver version is 301.42. It's now at 306.97.

Also, you swapped the numbers on your flash version. It's 278.. not 287.

Go update your video drivers here. http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-306.97-whql-driv er.html

And do the next people to visit this thread a favor, by coming back here and telling them that it worked and fixed your issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2012 12:41 PM   in reply to JDelphiki

Sorry jDelphiki.

But my card works fine in all applications except flashplayer (after it updated, lol).

The last driver recommended by the company is 301.42.

http://www.msi.com/product/vga/N560GTX-Ti-Twin-Frozr-II-2GD5-OC.html#/ ?div=Driver&os=All

It mean I'm not the nvidia customer, but msi. and formally if new driver harm my card it'll be my OWN problem. And, It's not quit clear for me - why nvidia should fix adobe mistakes.

So. may be you should make the FIRST post a bit more informational? I don't think you are from support.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2012 12:49 PM   in reply to GreenScreenProblem

Firstly, you do not understand how this system works. I've been doing this for 20 years.

If you look closely, you will see that the driver listed on your company page is WHQL. You will also see that the current driver for the video card is also WHQL.

If you want to know more about WHQL, check out this website: http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/other/26

Secondly, You will not damage your card with a driver update ok? That's the point of WHQL.

You need to understand that NVIDIA is the company that produces the chipset that powers your video card. MSI licenses access to the chip, and puts them into their own card, the card that you buy. The powerhouse is still the NVIDIA chip on the card. That said, your NVIDIA chip is access by your operating system and is told how to use it by the drivers. That's what they do. So keeping your drivers up to date is usually the smart thing to do.

Third, you need to understand that MSI isn't the greatest when it comes to keeping their pages up to date. Just because a driver is listed there, doesn't mean that is the only driver that will ever work. If you are SO concerned about this, go ahead and call them. Ask them if you can use the newer 306.97 drivers for your card. I'll save you the hour on the phone though: Yes. You can.

Update your video card drivers. The problem should be resolved. Make a system restore point before you do if you are so worried. Then you can restore back to the point before you updated your drivers if you are worried.

Lastly, if you are going to come here and ask for support on this issue.. take the advice. Don't assume you know better. You came here asking for help and that's what you got. So don't play the position of thinking you know better than the people who are here helping you. Otherwise, you're going to be stuck with this issue and nobody is going to help you further.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2012 2:58 PM   in reply to JDelphiki

2JDelphiki

Of course i dont. It's a bit hard for me to read technically themes, on English.

I just wanna find some solutions.

I'm no doub it cant be easily harmed with official driver, even OS version - i just dont used to randomly update everything.

I'm already updated to the last version after my previous post but it continue (on Opera, and IE).

Like browser somehow lose data (same thing then you try to play not fully downloaded video but frame full green). It starting jumping with horrible sounds.

So, it could be browser or something else

And I just pushback. Sorry if i being rude to you.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2012 9:23 PM   in reply to GreenScreenProblem

Phenom II X6 2012078.jpg

Green crud here too latest drivers IE latest flash player.

Starts randomly and then any player that is opened will be green but with sound, green video.

disabling hardware acceleration no help

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points