Skip navigation
MarkG33
Currently Being Moderated

How to Stop BC adding extra html code??

Apr 11, 2012 11:56 PM

Is there anyway to stop BC from adding in extra html code?

It keeps adding extra </div> tags to the template which completely screws up the layout.

No cms code editor should ever add any extra code the author doesn't want.

Thanks

Replies
  • Liam Dilley
    6,672 posts
    Feb 28, 2012
    Apr 12, 2012 12:34 AM   in reply to MarkG33

Hey there Mark.

The editor is not something you should really code on. It is good for little bits here and there but its an editor. They are basic basic things.

If it sees a html error it will try and fix it up which will be to do things like you mentioned.
    To that there is some html errors on your template somewhere. A tag is not closed off or missing an opening element etc.

The editor wont change things if those are fixed up. Run a W3C validation (the developer toolbar addon for firefox has a quick link to validate your page) for example and that will show the html errors you have (if any) , but pretty sure that will be the cause.

If your a paid partner with BC there is the new file manager (Alpha) you could try out, its a basic online code editor. I am not a fan of using that over an actual coding software (of which there are many free ones for mac and PC) but if you not using those That would be a good to go in and make your template changes.

|
    Mark as:
  • Liam Dilley
    6,672 posts
    Feb 28, 2012
    Apr 12, 2012 1:33 AM   in reply to MarkG33

Hi Mark, No, BC will not change it.

The editor does. The editor is a means to write/add content into a website, it has a html mode but it is not made to code in. It will try and fix things up so things render. You can not rely on it to fix or notice errors in your HTML.

If you code in either the Alpha File manager or coding software like Dreamweaver or Coda and through FTP it wont edit the code. The problem is those HTML errors are still there and while some browsers my cope with those errors others like IE will render it differently because of them.

To be clear it is not the BC system, it is the editor, and many others out there would do the same thing. While you can edit the HTML it is supposed to be for quick things, not to fully code in. It is one of the reasons why the Alpha file manager has been created. I am not a fan of that being developed over other things but it will be also useful for people like yourself.

But depending on if your on PC or Mac there are pleanty of free coding software (Such as Aptana) which you can code websites and FTP them; templates, layouts, css.. everything.

In terms of me coding, I know that if my HTML, javascript and CSS are sound, and that I conform to web standards I have little or no errors when taking sites lives, not run into silly issues and my Cross browser compatability is close to being sound.

|
    Mark as:
  • Liam Dilley
    6,672 posts
    Feb 28, 2012
    Apr 12, 2012 1:55 AM   in reply to MarkG33

Everything just about these days, all but web form layouts.

Web app layouts, Templates, Content Holders, Campaign emails, System messages, Email Layouts... Check on the knowledgebase for more information.

My fav app is Coda on mac and I love working on it every day. Its a great app and the FTP on it is super fast.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points