Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I add photos from another collection to my saved Book?

Apr 12, 2012 4:14 AM

Tags: #collection #lightroom4 #book_module

Hi,

In my lightroom library I have created a collection set called "Wedding". As I have 1000 photos from my wedding, within this Collection Set I have created 10 or more Collections to organise these photos (Ceremony, Reception, First Dance, etc.).

I have created a new 'Book' which as expected, has created a new Collection within my 'Wedding' collection set.

When I first create the book (before saving it) it seems like I can click on a page, then browse my Collections and add the photo that I desire to the page.

After I have saved the book, I can't so this. I want to work on my book later, and use my existing organisation of photos, and add photos to my books from these collections.

I know I am missing something basic (I am new to lightroom). I don't understand why I can't add a photo to my book after I have saved it.

Each time I click on one of my other collections, a new unsaved book appears in the main project window.

I have worked out that if I copy all my wedding photos into the new "Book" collection, then my photos are available for use - but this defeats the purpose of organising my photos into separate collections, and it doesn't seem like you can create a sub-collection within the Book project.

I also can't seem to find any documentation to explain this properly.

Any help would be apreciated - or if I coud be pointed to a good resource.

Cheers,

Mandy.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 12, 2012 11:17 PM   in reply to MandyMoo3

If I want to create a "Wedding Album" book, do I have to firstly use the Library module to drag ALL the photos I may want to use into my "Wedding Album" collection (saved book) ?

Yes.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2014 7:08 AM   in reply to MandyMoo3

I am having exactly the same issue - seems incredible that you can't make subfolders within the book collection.

The only work around I have found (and it's very clunky) is to go to the subfolder I want to work with in the library module, select all and flag all. I can then go to the book module and filter to show only flagged photos and filter according to rating to get to the photos I want easily. When I am finished with each section I go back to the library module, unflag all and start the process again. I never use the flags for anything else - if I did this would be a problem of course.

Does anybody know if this problem has been solved in LR5?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2014 7:39 PM   in reply to MandyMoo3

Right click on your photobook in the navigation pane and click "Set as Target Collection"

On any photo you want to add to the book from your library press "B" when you are on the photo/s (Add to Target Collection)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points