Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Problem installing app to android device

Apr 3, 2012 6:36 AM

Hi,

I can not figure out what I may have done in the last couple of days but no matter what I do I can not install any of my apps to my android phones or tablet devices as flash pro cs5.5 keeps throwing me the following error:

"Unable to install the application. More than one device is connected" 

This is clearly not true but both my imac and my macbook pro are giving me the same error.

I have been using flash pro cs5.5 for about a year now and I do have an app on the google play store so I am used to testing on my mobile devices but for the life of me I can't seem to solve this problem which I hope one of you guys

can help me fix?

Thanks to anyone who can help me with this.

JF

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 4, 2012 4:09 AM   in reply to n1224s

I would check the adb application (Android Debug Bridge), as this is how Flash Pro talks to the physical devices.

At the command line, navigate to wherever adb lives (usually the Android SDK install directory) and try "adb devices".  That should give you a list of all the devices that adb sees.

If that is returning numerous, try stopping/killing adb and restarting it.

(All my work/testing etc comes from Windows, so if adb doesn't exist or works differently on OSX, my apologies!)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2012 11:13 AM   in reply to n1224s

I'm having this exact same thing happen.  I've messed around with adb for days - starting, stopping, getting the most recent version.  I really don't think it has anything to do with the problem.

This must be a very common thing.  I'm using CS5.5, OSX10.7.4, and Android 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich).

Come on Adobe - what's the problem here?  It's stopping me from continuing development.  This has got to be effecting many others...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2012 3:14 PM   in reply to n1224s

Hi Julian,

That's bad news that it happens in CS6.  I was going to buy it to hopefully get rid of the problem.

I submitted a formal bug report about it to Adobe.  It's really hurting me.  My app works fine under iOS but it's quicker to test on an Android device and this bug is just a really dumb one.  I spent 5 hours trying to get around it in various ways.  I'm stuck.

Happy developing!

Cheers!

...Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2012 3:35 PM   in reply to n1224s

If I get any joy with adobe I will let you know. Please do the same for me.

Regards,

Julian.

Definitely.  From past bug reports I submitted, they usually get attention as long as they look real.  The forum often goes without any Adobe response which is pretty annoying.

Cheers!

...Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 2:19 AM   in reply to n1224s

Gents, is it just the deployment that's the problem?

Check the project directory for the creation of the SWF and APK files... if the APK exists, you can very quickly copy it to the device.  With the device plugged in, as though it's a flash storage device, copy the APK to some directory (I use "Downloads" for consistency).  Then, ensuring you have "Unknown Sources" enabled (Allow installation of non-Market apps), you can navigate to your Downloads directory on the device, select the APK, install and run.

I know it's a pain and extra few steps, but it's still pretty quick - and helps to narrow down some possible problems.

If the APK is built and the app installs, then it almost certainly is ADB... if it doesn't install, then I would think it's the package builder in some way, but we can hopefully narrow down what's borked and where after the APK test.

Hope that helps!

Edit: Also, I switched from Flash Pro to Flash Builder (4.6) for the extra tools one gets with an Eclipse based IDE, over Flash.  We still have and use Flash Pro for building animations in SWFs, but anything to do with code we do in FB - it's also much, much cheaper!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 5:46 AM   in reply to n1224s

I get no apk created so it's something deeper than just the adb part of this.  adb is working fine for me on it's own.  For some reason, and most clearly it's a bug, Flash Pro CS5.5 and 6 decides that there are multiple Android devices connected (there aren't - adb verifies this in addition to the fact that there aren't 2 devices connected).  It fails in the test movie and doesn't create an apk.  All the rebooting, re-launching, and basic user-techniques aren't going to make this work.  There's something else.

It's hard to believe that others aren't having the same problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 5:48 AM   in reply to n1224s

Julian - that's great news and gives me hope.  I have every update in except for CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 10:59 PM   in reply to JeffActive

Hi,

We would like to narrow down to the exact issue you faced while installing APK to android devices. Please provide answers to following questions -

• Were you able to publish/install a simple AIR for Android application to any android device?
    • Were you able to Test the application  using menu Control->Test Movie->in AIR Debug Launcher(Desktop)?
    • In AIR for Android Settings dialog, de-select options to Install and Launch the application on the connected Android device and then try to publish the app.
    • If possible, provide the exact steps where to reproduce the error.

Thanks,

Meenakshi Tiwari

Flash Professional QE Engg Team, Adobe

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 5:34 AM   in reply to meetiwari3

I'm happy to answer your questions and test things.

1. I only have a single Android device - a Samsung tab.

2. Yes, Test Movie worked.

3. I deselected the two install and launch checkboxes.  Publish worked and created a .airi file.

4. There really is nothing special about reproducing the problem.  Just publish and install.

One question you didn't ask...

Publishing the exact same code to the AIR/iOS works perfectly and installs without a problem.  The whole process of testing on Android is much quicker and is prefered though.

Can the .airi file created be launched on an Android device?  I know about .apk's but I don't know what a .airi file is.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 2:54 AM   in reply to JeffActive

Hi Jeff,

As you mentioned in item 3 - once de-selecting install and launch checkboxes, clicking on publishing produced .apk file(it should not create .airi file).

Could you please perform following actions:

1) Connect Device to the system.

2) Open a new AIR for Android document.

3) Click File-> AIR for Android Settings.. menu.

4) AIR for Android Settings dialog will open.

5) Go to General Tab, provide the necessary information - Output file, App name etc.

6) Go to Deployment Tab and provide the necessary information - certificate, password.

7) De-select the two checkboxes under "After Publishing" label.

8) Click on Publish.

9) .APK file should be created.

10) Install this app on android device and launch it - It should get launched.

11) If you select the two checkboxed under "After Publishing" label and click on publish - APK file shall be installed and launched directly on Android device.

Please let me know if the above scenario works for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 7:14 PM   in reply to meetiwari3

OK, the problem is solved and the bug can be closed.

Here's what happened.

For some reason, in Air for Android Settings, the General/Output file name was given a name with an extension of .airi.  With this, you will always get that "can figure out which device to install onto".  Admittedly, it's wrong that the filename didn't have a .apk extension but that error message is severly lacking.  I also don't know what set it to .airi but something did that automatically and I didn't notice it.

Changing to .apk fixes everything and life is wonderful again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 7:20 PM   in reply to n1224s

If I get any joy with adobe I will let you know. Please do the same for me.

Julian, in case you missed it...problem solved - check out the thread.

Happy coding...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 6:20 AM   in reply to JeffActive

Hello,

Could you please try and see if the solutions suggested in the below mentioned blog help you resolve the issue?

http://blogs.adobe.com/flashpro/2012/07/17/flashpro-cs6-publish-air-er ror/

Regards,

Suhas Yogin

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 6:43 AM   in reply to Suhas Yogin

I don't think that's it.  It has to do with something setting the deployment extension name as something other than .apk.  When that happens, you get that "there are multiple devices connected" message.  Changing the output file to .apk makes it all just work.

Someone needs to look into what triggers that error message because it is somewhat less than helpful.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2013 5:19 AM   in reply to JeffActive

I know this is an old thread, but just in case someone still experiences this problem (for some reason, I get this problem from time to time when doing a "Test movie > On device via USB"), you can just use ADB like this:

adb install yourpackage.apk

If you want to install over an existing installation and without having to uninstall, type:

adb install -r yourpackage.apk

The "adb" tool can be installed with the Android SDK, but it's also located inside the AIR SDK. For example:

"c:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Flash CS6\AIR3.7\lib\android\bin\adb.exe"

I don't know why Flash fails to install the APK sometimes, since it's using the same adb tool to do so, but from console, it works!

Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2013 10:11 AM   in reply to n1224s

Have you checked if the device is passcode locked? I had this issue but it went away when I unlocked the device.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points