Skip navigation
s0ngb1rd
Currently Being Moderated

Disappearing files in Captivate 5.5

Apr 12, 2012 3:24 AM

Tags: #files #5.5 #disappering

Hi,

Has anyone else experienced the problem of dissappearing files in Captivate 5.5? What's your workaround?

I have lost weeks of created work, before my IT dept contacted Abobe and said it was a known bug! It didn't help that my IT dept were then advised to delete all my files!!!

If I didn't laugh, I'd cry.Trying to be ever so patient...but I've already missed my deadlines because of this, clients waiting, and meanwhile, I'm looking like the bad guy. Great

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 12, 2012 3:57 AM   in reply to s0ngb1rd

Using Captivate 5.5, I have created close to 50 videos and never came across this sort of issue. Did Adobe actually confirmed that this is a know bug????

Did they give you any ID or an issue number which has more information about this unique issue?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 5:32 AM   in reply to s0ngb1rd

I also have never had this happen to me.  And I've been using Captivate professionally since version 1.

I've seen this issue reported before on these forums, and I suspect your IT dudes probably did a cursory Google search for info, found a similar issue had been reported somewhere on this forum, and therefore labelled it "a known bug".  I've never seen anything official or otherwise from Adobe that recognised this issue as a bug they had to fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 6:06 AM   in reply to s0ngb1rd

I can understand that this has been a frustrating time for you, and I am not trying to blame anyone.  I just don't like seeing Adobe or Captivate get the blame for something that may simply not be their fault either.

Captivate was designed to work a certain way and lately corporate IT departments have been radically altering the landscape using virtual servers, cloud-based storage, and more.  As a result, Captivate users are getting caught in the crossfire.

If you go to your Preferences > Global > General > Default Locations and see anything other than a drive on your own PC listed in the fields there, you are going to be taking a huge risk...as you've found.

When Captivate is installed properly, with all required Admin permissions, default locations local to the PC, and patches up to date, it's actually a very rock solid app in my experience.  Break these rules and it will bring you grief.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 6:20 AM   in reply to s0ngb1rd

Can you take a screenshot of your Preferences > Global > General > Default Locations and upload it here?

Also, if you ever do any FMV screen capture, make sure your Preferences > Recording > Full Motion > Working folder location is also local to your hard drive.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points