• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't print, asks for output file name

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2009 Mar 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I ask to print from adobe reader pdf file, it asks for output file name. The "print to file" is NOT checked in the print menu.
Thanks
Carol
TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 02, 2009 Apr 02, 2009
I solved the problem myself. I unchecked the "print to file" box in the print menu. Thanks to everyone for their prompt replies.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2009 Apr 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the printer name in the print menu?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the format of the file when you save the output file.
Also, please make sure you are choosing some physical printer in the dropdown on the main dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carol,

Look for the Printer Name on the Print Dialog Box, If the Printer selected is "Adobe PDF" then

1) Click on "Properties" Button on Print Dailog Box, a new Dialog box will Appear.
2) Select the tab "Adobe PDF Settings"
3) Look for the 3rd Drop Down option naming "Adobe PDF Output Folder".
4) Select "My Documents\*.pdf" from it.
5) Press "OK" button and you are done.

Do let us know if it worked for you.

Thanks,
Atul Agarwal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2009 Apr 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved the problem myself. I unchecked the "print to file" box in the print menu. Thanks to everyone for their prompt replies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 16, 2011 Oct 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks -- that helped me today as well. I've never received document before that defaulted to 'print to file' so I didn't know to look for that check box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It isn't the document. At some point, you may have accidently clicked on that selection and it stuck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2012 Oct 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unchecking the "Print to File" option helped me. It was clicked by me accidentaly. Thanks for the help Carol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2014 Oct 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found this forum looking for answers to the same issue. Thank you very much. To help clarify: search for [devices and printers]>find the printer you want to use>right click for [printer properties]>[ports] and find the port labeled "print to file" and uncheck that box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Very clearly illustrated! I've solved this problem. Thanks a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 02, 2009 Apr 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was under the assumption that it was *not* checked (since that's what you said in your post).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes Uncheck to Print To File Option is working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2012 May 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem too--  apparently caused by the USPS "Click 'n' Ship" program which exercises an unusual amount of control over the pdf output-- until the last version it was print only, no copies,  no saving, no nothing.  New version of "CNS" made pdf file saving possible (up till midnight on the day you do it, some how) but also managed to check  the  print-to-file- box  I've unchecked it and we'll see if it sticks later this afternoon. 

It took me so long to find this thread, note the problem, and fix it,  because I found a relatively simple workaround!  When the print routine asks for the output filename, I typed in "LPT1:"   I was warned that the filename was already in use, did I want to overwrite it?  I said yes, the error message disappeared, and the document went through to the selected printer.  This is odd to begin with because I have no idea what wierd brain-static made me try that, but it gets worse.  The selected printer is a USB printer, on a USP "virtual port."  LPT1: goes to a thermal printer used only by the UPS shipping program.

A decades old habit would have me not look a gift horse in the mouth-- it's often (almost always in fact) eaiser to standardize the workaround and not waste time worrying about the oroginal problem.  But this required a few extra keystrokes every time I went to print a USPS label, so I found this forum and thread easily with Google and the problem is solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines