Skip navigation
SwinertonMarketing
Currently Being Moderated

New InDesign Error when Exporting to PDF

Sep 28, 2011 4:14 PM

since upgrading to CS 5.5 my entire company has encountered numerous issues and errors with InDesign. This however, is a new one and I was wondering if anyone knew the root cause of such an error and a potential fix.

here's the error message my marketer is getting when trying to export a document to a pdf:

%%[ ProductName: Distiller ]%%

%%[ Error: ioerror; OffendingCommand: readstring ]%%

Stack:

(› PoÈsKÖn[1]µÐY5Âê2¢ ÷Fmø-êíöYJ

øR½=Ö¤%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%

%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%

The steps she takes if file - export - adobe print PDF and then selects smallest file size. The file is packaged

Any comments/thoughts/help is greatly appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 28, 2011 4:28 PM   in reply to SwinertonMarketing

This does not sound like an error from EXPORTING to PDF since there is absolutely no involvement of Distiller in the export process.

What's the OS? Is your user perhaps trying to PRINT to Adobe PDF?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2011 5:03 PM   in reply to SwinertonMarketing

Most users encounter no errors at all with Windows 7 and CS5.5, and I've never heard of anything like this at all with an export. Do you have any third-party plugins installed?

Also, try repalcing the prefernces and see if you can export successfully. See Replace Your Preferences

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2011 4:01 AM   in reply to SwinertonMarketing

There are literally dozens of companies that sell add-on plugins to do things that ID can't do out of the box. Newspapers, for example, will often have plugins to help with automating content placement. It won't be definitive, because not all vendors install through the Extensions Manager, but if you go to Help > Extensions Manager... you'll get a list of plugins that are installed, along with the author name. Anything that doesn't say Adobe Systems is suspect. You can disable those and test.

There was a bug in the 7.5.0 release (fixed in 7.5.1) that allowed incomaptible version 7.0 plugins to load, so tyhat's one potential source of the problem. Many large organizations also have centralized font management, and font managers, some versions of Suitcase in particular, frequently show up here in the forum associated with problems like crashing. Updating the font manager is usually indicated when switching to 7.5.

And of course some fonts are just plain wonky and can cause trouble (these tend to be free or cheap fonts from unknown vendors, but there's no absolutes here either). ID is very sensitive to font problems, and seems to get more so with each version.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2011 8:34 AM   in reply to SwinertonMarketing

No special steps (unless you count copying the font into one of the private fonts folders rather than installing as a system font so all programs can use it). ID sees fonts in the system fonts folder (installed using whatever the current install protocol is, which for Windows 7 seems to be right-click and choose install font, or installed by your font manager), or fonts that you copy into ..\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts or ..\Indesign[version #]\fonts.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 10:17 AM   in reply to SwinertonMarketing

I get the same error. I have an InDesign document, If I try to export to PDF, or Print to a PDF, InDesign crashes. I have Win7 64, InDesign Ver 7.0.4. No 3rd party plug ins, It is an Out of the Box Indesign Installation. (creative Suite).

If I try to export to a Post script instead to PFD, It also crashes, but I get this message in a log file:

Stack:

(q ÃÊR

Ö344557778899887776644445     55544222111       12222333      4455555    66677   7777777     7)

-file-

-mark-

-save-

%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 10:32 AM   in reply to SwinertonMarketing

I'm going to speculate that some oject on a page may be responsible, and further that it might be a placed .eps file, but I really don't pretend to understand postscript errors.  I'm basing this speculation on the failure to both export and to print to .ps, which suggests a problem with a page item rather than with code ID is producing.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 12:55 PM   in reply to palapaquete

It will be a guessing game until you post a file that someone else can test. Use a service like Dropbox and send us a link to the file that causes a problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 9:40 AM   in reply to SwinertonMarketing

We ran into this error as well. It turned out to be a copied image from MS Word. After the user removed it, error was gone. Hope this helps some of you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 7:00 AM   in reply to vpkyeoh

I agree with you. This is a very aggrevating error as it does not indicate an error. To find the error, I narrowed the search down by making a backup file. Then I Selected and deleted a page at a time and attempted to print. I continued this process until I found the offending page that when deleted, allowed me to print. That narrowed my search down to just one page to find the offensive copied in text or graphic.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2013 2:24 AM   in reply to SwinertonMarketing

I've had the exact same error. InDesignCS5 both on Windows 7 and XP.

This was the error shown (it opens up in notepad after ID fails to output the .PDF)

%%[ ProductName: Distiller ]%%

%%[Page: 1]%%

%%[Page: 2]%%

[CUT...]

%%[Page: 35]%%

%%[Page: 36]%%

%%[Page: 37]%%

Stack:

(› PoÈsKÖn µÐY5Âê2¢ ÷Fmø-êíöYJ

øR½=Ö¤%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%

To get it to complete the .PDF output I had to remove two images which were on Page 38

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 12:20 PM   in reply to SwinertonMarketing

this exact error came up on my computer. i have recently upgraded to CS5 using Windows 7. i was trying to create a booklet using Adobe PDF. same error message came up on page 7 of the book. removed all photos on that page, still the error stopped the PDF booklet process. coworker had an idea to print using ScanSoft PDF Create instead of Adobe PDF: blamo, PDF created perfectly, no error. i don't know what made this error happen, but i'm glad i found a work around. wanted to share with the rest. good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2013 8:47 AM   in reply to SwinertonMarketing

I know this post is old, but finding this thread helped me out. Top hit on google, so maybe if someone has this issue they will get help, too. I got a similar error as here. Saw someone mention an image copied from Microsoft Word... well, turns out I had some graphs copied over from Microsoft Excel. After removing the pages with these graphs on them, the error went away. So, anyone, if you're having this error while trying to print a booklet to Adobe PDF, make sure you have not simply copied and pasted images or other files besides text into your InDesign document. Now I just have to take these graphs into Photoshop, make them actual images, and put them back into my page and it'll work fine!

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2013 9:38 AM   in reply to JacquelynLC

Try pasting them into Illustrator and save as .ai or PDF, instead, if you have the application.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2013 5:43 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Had the same problem when revising a technical document created by someone else. I finally solved the problem by trying to print each page individually to .pdf. When an individual page would not print, I slid text and graphics frames off the page to the paste board one or two at a time until the page would print. This helped me to isolate the individual component causing the error. In my case, the error was caused by two arrows pasted into a graphics frame with no link. I deleted the arrows and recreated in ID with the line tool. End of problem.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points