Skip navigation
castledun
Currently Being Moderated

How do I resolve "Installation failed to Initialize" message?

Apr 12, 2012 10:20 AM

I've used Adobe products for over 20 years. Now I'm truly stuck, and live chat hasn't been helpful at all (no responses to my questions, just instructions ignoring what I'm saying, which is basically that I tried all the suggestions/instructions already, and they didn't work). My OS is Windows 7, Home Professional. I purchased CS5.5 Design Premium on a CD and attempted to install it. The CD seemed to work; the installation started. Then nothing happened for over an hour, so I cancelled the installation and rebooted my machine. Now when I try to install, I receive a message saying that the "Installation failed to initialize" and that I must clink on the link for Support Advisor. When I do this, the Manager finds no errors. I can't find installation logs. Live chat suggested that I change the ODBE (or something like that) file to "old" and then try again. This didn't work. I downloaded the Application Manager. This didn't help, either. Copying the contents of the CD to the desktop didn't get better results. Live chat suggested that I download the trial version and then attempt to use my legitimate serial number. I said this probably wouldn't work either, because the issues from the first CD attempt hadn't been resolved. Nine hours later the trial version finished downloading, and after all that, I got the same failure to initialize message. I replied to my "case file", and, so help me, the same customer rep responded, telling me to download the trial version. In other words, he completely ignored the fact that I'd tried and it didn't work. I've looked on the forum, and there was a discussion about this "failure to initialize", but the discussion was completely in German, which doesn't help me at all. I'm hoping that someone on this forum can help me through this process; this software is mega expensive and should come with better support.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 12, 2012 11:11 AM   in reply to castledun

Castledun the failure to initialize error message can be a bit generic.  I would recommend reviewing the Analyze the Creative Suite 5 or CS5.5 PDapp log section of Troubleshoot with install logs | CS5, CS5.5 - http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/troubleshoot-install-logs-cs5 -cs5.html#main_Analyze_the_Creative_Suite_5_PDapp_log.  Reviewing the PDapp.log should reveal the point of failure.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 1:36 PM   in reply to castledun

I would recommend that you delete the log and try the install again.  This will give you the most recent version of the PDapp.log.  Beyond that the key thing you want to look at is doing searches on [ERROR] and [FATAL] per step 3.  These are sign posts which can help you identify the point of failure.  [WARN] is just a warning but is not a critical failure.  [ERROR] and [FATAL] are where the difficulties are located.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 2:52 PM   in reply to castledun

Yes it looks as if you are running into a permission issues when the installer is trying to write to your drive.  I would recommend creating a new local administrator account and trying the installation under that account.  You might also consider running the installation in a selective start up to minimize any potential interference from other applications or services.

The following documents should help if you need any guidance regarding these steps:

Create local administrator account | Windows 7, Vista - http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/create-local-administrator-a ccount-windows.html

Restart Windows in a modified mode | Windows 7, Vista - http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/restart-windows-modified-mod e-windows.html

If this fails you may also want to try Log in using the built-in Administrator account (Windows 7 and Vista) - http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/log-using-built-administrato r-account.html and try the installation with the built-in admin account.  I advise the creation of a local user account first though in case your existing user accounts have had their permissions compromised.

If you can please respond back with the results it would be appreciated.  If you have any additional questions about the steps listed please feel free to respond to this thread as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 9:18 PM   in reply to castledun

Castledun, you won't feel the difference between the old user and the new user, as we need you to only install the application into the new user, which is turn can be access by your old user account as well.

So, in other words, if you install CS5.5 into new user, it can be accessed by the old account as well, so that you don't have to switch between the two accounts everytime.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 9:34 PM   in reply to Arpit Kapoor

You may also try turning off User Account Control and the anti-virus program.

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/disable-user-account-control -uac.html

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 4:11 PM   in reply to castledun

This would be used during the installation process.  You should then be able to use it in the old account.  Although if it is successful it does indicate that the rights on your current account are not currently sufficient to install the program.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 1:22 PM   in reply to castledun

You are very welcome Castledun!  Hopefully this thread will also help other users who experience the same difficulties.  I would still recommend keeping an eye on your current use account and if you have additional difficulties you may want to migrate your settings and documents to a new user account.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2012 9:02 AM   in reply to castledun

Hello. i have the same problem (or a similar one at least). I have tried all the suggestions in this thread, but i still cannot install any help would be appreciated

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2012 10:19 AM   in reply to Funkeehdk

Funkeehdk if the error you are going off of is the Installer Failed to Initiaize then that is a very generic error message.  Please see message #1 for information on how to review your installation log.  As it is likely that your error log is not identical to Castledun's I would recommend you open up a seperate discussion in the Download, Installation, and Setting up forum - http://forums.adobe.com/community/download_install_setup with your specifics.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points