Skip navigation
johnhope14
Currently Being Moderated

An Unknown Error Occured (Lightroom 4)

Apr 12, 2012 11:02 AM

Tags: #error #an #occured #unknown #lr4 #lightroom4

I have just upgraded my PC from Windows XP to Windows 7 and from Lightroom 2 to Lightroom 4 (purchased in the past week - not the beta version). I was having one or two issues with LR2 and was looking forward to better performance with my shiny new system, running on a quad core processor and effective 4 gig of RAM.

Straight from the off when editing images in the 'Develop' module, the responsiveness seemed slower than before when applying presets, zooming in and out and using the adjustment brush. Surely a system of this spec should run Lightroom no problem (I am editing Canon 5D MkII RAWs sized around 35Mb)?

And more worryingly, a couple of times LR4 just refused to apply a preset and was hanging. And then when just flicking through and applying presets I've had the dreaded and disconcertingly vague 'An Unknown Error Occured' twice in the space of an hour.

Please help!!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 24, 2012 1:44 PM   in reply to johnhope14

Can anyone give an answer to this?  I'm having EXACTLY the same problem!! Can we log it at all as an issue as I'm regretting enormously upgrading and spending the money on LR 4 at the moment

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jun 24, 2012 1:54 PM   in reply to sharon3066

Sharon, are you updated to 4.1?  If not, do so now.

Other than that, what's triggering your unknown error?  Presets, like John?  I'd guess there's a problem preset in there somewhere if so.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 2:23 PM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

Yes ive upgraded to 4.1 - its not presets - it seems there is such a time lag when I change something - it seems to fall over itself when I do two or three changes quickly   I have to turn LR off, and then reload to get rid of the exclamation mark warning and to be able to carry on editing - very frustrating!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 3:26 PM   in reply to johnhope14

Your welcome John - thank you for putting into writing exactly what I was trying to describe was wrong!  I'm pretty mad Ive upgraded - but I had to as I bought the new OMD by Olympus and in order to read the RAW files I had to upgrade.

I was very impressed with LR3, and LR4 has got potential - the new highlights and shadow detail slider is brilliant BUT... I am a wedding photographer currently trying to work my way through 600 photos.  It is painfully slow - the loading message is driving me mad.  then the unknown error, and the fact that when you click "previous" it often doesnt pick up the previous edit, most of my imported pre sets dont work anyway.  I upgraded my camera, I upgraded my software - but I really dont want to have to upgrade aperfectly efficient computer system just because LR isnt working - and neither does anyone else I should imagine!  I dont know if Adove read these or not but they have some pretty mad customers here

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jun 24, 2012 11:35 PM   in reply to sharon3066

John, I'm sorry your thread got missing.  This is a user-to-user forum, not an Adobe Support channel.  While Adobe Employees do drop in here now and again, most of us are users like yourself, freely volunteering our time to help others.  Once a thread disappears down the listing, it's not likely to be seen again, so please feel free to post again to see if someone can help.

There were some performance issues in 4.0, which unfortunately were not picked up before release, but Adobe pulled out all the stops to make a fix available as soon as possible, with the first release candidate available about 3 weeks after the initial release.

Reading the forums now, you'd get the idea that everyone's still suffering from performance issues, but then, most people don't flood to the forums to post how well things are working.  Unfortunately a small percentage of users are still affected by performance issues, and work continues to figure out what's different about their machines.

Sharon, you didn't mention your system specs?  Perhaps there's something we can help you tweak to improve things?

We'd all love our software to run quicker without ever having to upgrade our computers.  Unfortunately technology doesn't work like that.  We feed our computers ever larger files, and expect them to do increasingly complex calculations, but that does come at a cost - either in time or in upgraded systems.

PV2012 will be slightly slower because technology has advanced - it's doing much more complex calculations than earlier Lightroom versions, which does take additional processing power.  The older calculations are still there, listed as PV2010, and if the performance is causing problems, using those older sliders is another option you could consider.  There are other things you can do to help, particularly on mid-spec computers, such as minimizing use of the most processor-intensive tools (i.e. lens corrections, spot removal, etc.)

Adobe will continue to work at finetuning the PV2012 performance, as well as trying to fix the mystery performance issues that some are seeing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 4:49 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

Thank you for taking the time to respond – I have attached a snip of my system specs – is there anything I can do?

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jul 2, 2012 5:23 AM   in reply to sharon3066

I'm sorry Sharon, I can't see them.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 6:14 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

Hiya!

It says:

Processor : INTEL R CORE  TM (2)  DUO CPU

E700 @ 2.80 HZ 2.80 GHZ

INSTALLED MEMORY RAM 4.00( 3.24 GB USABLE)

32 BIT OP SYSTEM

PEN INPUT AVAILABLE

?????!!

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jul 2, 2012 8:37 AM   in reply to sharon3066

Hi Sharon

If I'm reading them correctly, those specs aren't a million miles off the minimum requirements.  I'm guessing it's, what, 3 or 4 years old?  The complex processing that Lightroom's doing will tax even high-end machines, so a machine that is perfectly efficient for other office tasks may struggle.  If you want to use LR4's new processing tools, then sticking with your current machine may end up being a false economy.

That said, there are a few things you can do.  For one, you have the option to use the old sliders - PV2010 - in LR4.  That should run at a similar speed to LR3, but allow you to process the files from your new camera.

Also, you can avoid using tools that are particularly processor intensive.  They include lens corrections, spot removal and the local brushes.  There is a known issue with noise reduction, when combined with highlights/shadows/clarity, which should be fixed in the next release, so leaving noise reduction turned off until the end can help.

Also, where are the image files themselves stored?  On internal or external drives?  It sounds like you may have a bottleneck at reading the files from the hard drive (which Olympus camera?  big files?) as well as the processing being applied.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 10:14 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

Many thanks for that Victoria.  Not sure how to turn off  certain sliders or top use old sliders but will have  a further explore.  The camera is the new OMD E5 so massive files ye and they are stored on the internal hard drive.

Sharon

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 8:28 AM   in reply to sharon3066

Just to add to the slow/quick aspect of things. I have a relatively old PC running W7 32bit, GeForce 8800GT, 3.2GHz processor, Dual Core and 2.75GB of usable RAM so all in all, just about meeting minimal requirements to run LR4. It's certainly not quicker than LR3 but not slower either. The only complaint I have, and soon to be resolved by Adobe I hope, is Noise Reduction. This is what really kills my machine, reduces LR to a snails pace and the only cure is to shut down the application. I always know when LR is about to hang because the moment I move the NR slider the mouse arrow starts to skip and jump across the monitor like it's got a mind of it's own.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jul 4, 2012 9:34 AM   in reply to ElliR

ElliR wrote:

The only complaint I have, and soon to be resolved by Adobe I hope, is Noise Reduction. This is what really kills my machine, reduces LR to a snails pace and the only cure is to shut down the application. I always know when LR is about to hang because the moment I move the NR slider the mouse arrow starts to skip and jump across the monitor like it's got a mind of it's own.

There is a known issue with noise reduction combined with highlights, shadows or clarity, which should hopefully be fixed in 4.2.  I notice it most with clarity, so leaving that off might help.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 8:01 AM   in reply to johnhope14

I have the trial version of 4.1 loaded up, and was processing some of my first photos.  I was excited to play with Lightroom, and some of the early results were very impressive. 

Unfortunately, it seems this issue is still a problem.  I have received the "unknown error occurred" numerous times in the last hour.  With about 230 25mb raw images from a T3i in the library, things started to slow down, and the error appeared more often.  This doesn't exactly make me very comfortable.  Why is this error not defined? 

Just for reference, I am mainly using the vignette tool, the mask brush with exposure, and some sharpening.  I am running this on a custom built machine running a quad core Intel Q9550, With Windows 8, an Intel SSD, and four gigs of ram.  This system edits and renders video effortlessly. Other types of apps run great, and have had no issues.  I could forgive the periodic hangs and slowdowns, but this error problem may have killed it for me. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points