Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Open PDF files

Apr 11, 2012 7:48 AM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2012 7:48 AM   in reply to Community Help

Sometimes when importing a PDF of varying page sizes into Photoshop, smaller pages are increased in size to match one of the dimensions of the larger pages.

Is there any way around this?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 8:18 AM   in reply to TurtleFace1988

How exactly do you proceed and are those pdfs that combine pages of various sizes?

Why do you convert the pdfs and are you aware of the quality-loss this incurs with regard to vector and type data?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 11:07 AM   in reply to TurtleFace1988

I experienced the same behavior, and it just appears to be a glitch with the import (Photoshop doesn't support multiple sizes through batches very well - and the import dialogue is basically a built-in batch action). It sounds like you are referring to a multiple-page PDF (which is where I have also found the issue). The only real work-around I have found is to split your PDF and bring the pages (or groups if you have some same sizes) into Photoshop separately.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 10:45 PM   in reply to ryan.marchese

and the import dialogue is basically a built-in batch action

I wonder if that does the process justice.

The only real work-around I have found is to split your PDF and bring the pages (or groups if you have some same sizes) into Photoshop separately.

I disagree, one might be able to use a Script that opens the pages individually or creates new documents for each page, places it and clips to its format after placing.

Edit: Actually my choise of words was nonsensical … how could I disagree with what somebody has found?

ryan.marchese, please excuse my dumb wording.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 1:33 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

- How exactly do you proceed and are those pdfs that combine pages of various sizes?

I export a PDF with multiple pages of varying size from InDesign CS5.5 and then open it in Photoshop CS 5.1. In the import dialog I select all of the pages and then set the dpi to 72. When all of the documents are created some of the pages are scaled up/down from their original size.

- Why do you convert the pdfs and are you aware of the quality-loss this incurs with regard to vector and type data?

I convert PDFs to JPEG for use in Flash. I am aware of the quality loss and the difference between vector based images and bitmap images but the JPEGS exported from InDesign are of a lower quality than the JPEGS produced from Photoshop when re-saving the PDF pages.

- one might be able to use a Script that opens the pages individually or creates new documents for each page, places it and clips to its format after placing.

I am very interested in this. I will look into writing a script that will solve this issue. I was just surprised that Photoshop had a problem importing the PDFs.

Thanks for all your responses.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 8:15 AM   in reply to TurtleFace1988

If you should need help with a Scripting approach you could ask over at

http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop/photoshop_scripting

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)