Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Media Encoder - File Size HUGE. HELP

May 14, 2011 12:25 PM

I have a MPG that is 216mb. When I attempt to use Media Encoder 5 or 5.5 the estimated file size for a 640 x 480 f4v is 26456mb.

I have used the computer at my school with the same file and the file size is 2mb. What am I doing wrong at home? I can't image encoder can make a 216mb file become 2.6 gb.

Please help.

Howard

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 17, 2011 5:06 AM   in reply to howiebrn

Instead of F4v use flv

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2011 9:26 PM   in reply to howiebrn

What format and codec are you exporting to?

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2011 8:48 AM   in reply to howiebrn

Is your movie really 4 hours long?

20-40GB doesn't surprise me as the size of a four-hour movie. That's reasonable, even for a compressed standard-definition movie of that length.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2011 9:54 AM   in reply to howiebrn

According to your screen shot, it's over 4 hours.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2011 10:17 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

How, exactly, are you sending this asset to AME? How do you know that it's only 2+ minutes long? Is that the length of a trimmed part? It may be that you're sending an untrimmed asset to AME, not a trimmed part.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 1:34 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Based on his screen shot showing 04;00;00;10  --that means 4 hours?  Then I think there is a major glitch in AME.  He says his is 2 min and that shows 4hrs.  In my case my is an 11 sec long mpg originally, but shows as 09;16;12;01, so that means AME shows my file is 9hours long when its only 11sec??  and i'm converting from mpg to FLV keeping size of 640x480 like i did in cs4, only in cs4, it would convert that same 11sec 10-13mb file to  a 1mb file or less, and it wouldn't take 2+hours to do it like cs5.  Seems to me like the timer for AME is corrupt and need a fix.

export screenshot.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 7:36 AM   in reply to acidhimp

Please drop the source clip into MediaInfo and check what it says the duration is. (If you don't have MediaInfo, you can download it for free from the Internet.) If possible, please post a link to the clip so that we can download it and check it out for ourselves.

Two details catch my eye in the Source Summary. Both screenshots show that the field order is Unknown and that the clip has no audio. I doubt either of those details accounts for the incorrect duration, but the unknown field order, at least, makes me wonder whether AME is having trouble interpretting the footage correctly. I suggest going to the Interpret Footage dialog (right-click on the clip in AME's queue and select Interpret Footage), and setting the Field Order to the correct value [Upper Field First, Lower Field First, or No Fields (Progressive Scan)]. While you're there, check whether the frame rate is accurate--according to the screenshot, it's 30.000 fps. Is that accurate?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 11:55 AM   in reply to Mark Mapes

I will get that program and take some new screenshots hopefully tonight, im at work and work til 10:30p cst.  The original mpg vid is supposed to be 30fps and for the conversion i unchecked the import audio.  If that explains anything, i'll still do the other stuff tonight and post it, thanx for your help

-Thomas

Sent from my HTC EVO Shift

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 11:25 PM   in reply to Mark Mapes

I wrote back on the board with as much info as I could muster up.  If I missed anything please let me know and I'll get you the info asap.

-T

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4247456#4247456

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2012 1:57 PM   in reply to acidhimp

Just as a heads up, we too are experiencing this problem.

It seems like media encoder is having difficulty reading the length of the videos.

We have encountered on 4 - 5 different videos now.

We have a 30 second video coming out 4gb!

From searching the forum this is becoming a more common issue.

Cheers

Shannon

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2012 3:31 PM   in reply to E2 Digital

I worked with a guy from Adobe, he had me download the trial of Premier Pro and that fixed it.  I have the web premium version of cs5 which doesn't come with video stuff or not a lot.  Downloading Premier Pro added some of the extras that my base version didn't.  Try that and see if it changes.  My AME wasn't reading the audio of the files correctly thus causing the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 10:31 AM   in reply to acidhimp

> My AME wasn't reading the audio of the files correctly thus causing the issue.

That's a known bug. Sometimes deleting the xmp file next to it (if it exists) will fix it.

Otherwise it's not fixable.

btw, Encore does it too (the use the same importers so I'm not surprised).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 11:26 AM   in reply to Rallymax-forum

My version of AME was for design premium, i downloaded a trial of premiere and that added the extra codecs needed to correctly import

-Thomas

Sent from my HTC EVO Shift

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points