Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

In-design CS4 Export to RTF format, .png & .eps images aren't displaying.

Apr 12, 2012 8:44 AM

I have an InDesign CS4 document that has a combination of .png images, .eps images & text.  And I'm trying to export the main story that contains all the content to RTF format.  The export generates a .rtf file.  And when I view the document in a plain text editor such as Notepad or UltraEdit, I can see the images are there due to the lines & lines of image encoding.  But when I open it inside of Word 2010 or Word Pad, I don't see the images.  I just see the text.

I've tried generating the rtf export using the normal In-Design interface, as well as trying the sample javascript "ExportAllStories.jsx" that comes with CS4.  Both fail to generate an RTF doc with a readable .png or .eps graphic.

My Images are AchoredObjects inside of Rectangles.  I can provide the IDML export code if needed.

I've also verified that if I add an image into Word, be it .png or .eps & then save as RTF, the images are later viewable.

Is there a bug with In-Design CS 4 in how it generates .png & .eps images for RTF?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 12, 2012 11:04 AM   in reply to Josh Genti

InDesign does not export anchored images when exporting either as TXT or RTF formats. It exports text only.

It's not a bug, it's a design limitation.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 11:27 AM   in reply to Josh Genti

When you say "anchored objects" you mean inline anchored images, right? If you say "anchored images" then we are more likely to think "custom-positioned anchored objects" when in fact "inline images inserted into text flow" are technically anchored objects as well.

I just ran a little test, and was surprised to find that your description was actually correct. I inserted a bunch of small images in various formats into my text flow and exported, and found that only the jpeg was included in the RTF. Is this Functioning As Designed? Or is it a bug?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 1:35 PM   in reply to Josh Genti

There is no way, even if this is a bug, it will ever get fixed in CS4.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 11:56 PM   in reply to Josh Genti

I think I finally figured this out. I move a lot of docts back and forth between InDesign and Word, and oddly enough - some of the PNG files WERE exporting from InDesign to RTF, but not others. So I knew that it wasn't impossible! My client gives me Word docts created using screenshots, sometimes over 200 graphics in one doct. I make sure they are all inline with the text in Word, which keeps them inline  when I place them in InDesign (although they are not "anchored objects" as such). All of the graphics were treated the exact same way, so why should some export to RTF and not all of them? I finally unembedded all the links to compare file properties, and there were absolutely no differences - except SIZE. I tested a few randomly, making some files bigger in Photoshop, and making others smaller, and that absolutely made the difference in whether they would export to RTF or not. The cutoff seems to be somewhere between 40-50 KB. So instead of discriminating against certain file types, that was just coincidental - since PNG files (and GIF) are generally so small.

But I'm still a little stuck as to the best workflow, given the quantity of image files I have in each doct. I tried creating an action in PS to change the image resolution from 72 to 150, applied it to the whole folder, then updated the links in InDesign. And yes, all but the very tiniest images are now exporting to RTF, but the image quality is crappy! I would love it if someone has any advice on  that.

Sorry, should have mentioned - this is InDesign CS5.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 6:20 AM   in reply to gailcnyc

If you are upsampling screen shots, use "nearest neighbor" to keep them crisp.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 10:02 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Thanks so much, Peter, that saved me a lot of time rambling around the forums looking for that solution!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 10:29 AM   in reply to Josh Genti

Addendum: PNG files that are indexed will not export to RTF, regardless of size.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points