Skip navigation
jumpyg2
Currently Being Moderated

How can I remove a cough from the audio?

Apr 12, 2012 9:47 AM

I have a .MOV source file that I'm editing in PrE10. At one point there is a cough that happens over what the speaker is saying. Is there any way to remove just the cough sound?

If not with PrE, then what program could I use?

Guessing this will be difficult, but I may as well ask.

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 12, 2012 11:29 AM   in reply to jumpyg2

You can cut out the segment of your audio where the cough appears (or drop the gain to zero).

But it's not possible to remove the sound of the cough and still leave the speaker's voice up for the half-second or so. You can remove or lower the volume of everything on that audio recording -- but it's not possible to quiet some things and keep others at normal volume on the same recording.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 12:03 PM   in reply to jumpyg2

Depending on the exact characteristics of the cough, Adobe Audition's Repair Transient feature might be able to work miracles. I have been amazed at what it can remove, while not affecting the underlying Audio.

If you do Cut out the cough, you might want to find an adequately long section of "silence" which will have some ambient noise in it. Replace the cough with that ambient Audio, so that the viewer is not jarred with complete silence.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 2:19 PM   in reply to jumpyg2

You could also look at the Magix Audio Cleaning Lab software. It has a 'spectral cleaning' feature that may help you in removing that cough.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers