Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Cinematographers, Dp's, Directors, Filmmaker

Apr 12, 2012 8:17 AM

What's the difference between a Cinematographer, Director of Photograpy, Director, & a Filmmaker? I know I could have googled and get the answers to these questions, but I just thought that it would have been better to get a better understanding from people that actually work in the industry.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 12, 2012 8:25 AM   in reply to ksemple

Well, it depends on the production, and how the hierarchy is arranged (often defined by the producer).

In very general terms, the Cinematographer is the Camera Operator - the person behind the lens.

The Director of Photography might also be the Camera Operator, but on larger productions, is probably a guy sitting in a chair behind the Camera Operator, seeing the "big picture." The DP, or maybe the Camera Operator will also interface with the Gaffer(s) to set up all lighting to a mechanical level, but with a style (to create a mood), per the DP' idea of what the Director will want.

The Director is often a separate entity, and directs the actors, works with the Camera Operator, or DP, to get everything functioning, as he/she wants.

The term Filmaker can be a catch-all, for the roles of those mentioned above, and will not be an official title for any person on the production crew. That term is often applied to a person, often wearing many hats, or might be applied to any of the roles above.

Remember, those terms are not set in stone, and with a small production, one person might play all roles, and might also be referred to as the Filmmaker.

Good question,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 12:47 PM   in reply to ksemple

additionally, the only thing all those people have in "common" is they all have a loose wire in their head someplace.  What pyschoanalysts might call " neurosis ".  can be found in poets and painters as well ( see van gogh ).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 3:47 PM   in reply to able123

for example... here is a snapshot of one of the members of the Academy Awards voting members, considering his ' vote ' on Scott Rudin as producer of the brothers who bring us weird movies based on the depravity of actors willing to do " anything" to make a living.

scott rudin.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 4:33 PM   in reply to able123

Yes, I ran into Vincent Van G. many years ago in a Paris bistro. On parting, I made a slip, and said, "Yo Vinnie, keep an ear out for me." My bad, and we all know what happened next. Sometimes those loose wires do touch, and spark (think of Sparky here), and who knows what will happen then?

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 2:11 PM   in reply to ksemple

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers