Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Add 3D models to a PDF page

Apr 12, 2012 1:42 PM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 12, 2012 1:42 PM   in reply to Community Help

Greetings Sir/Madam at ADOBE

I have just upgraded to the latest version of acrobat (X pro) from Acrobat 9 (pro). In acrobat 9 I was able to create 3d pdf's from CAD files, a feature which I use extensively. It seems as though this capability no longer exists??? If I want to do this in Acrobat X it seems as though I have to pay another $400 for another product from an external source? (From Tetra4d) Can you please explain further, I am not too happy about having to pay more for something that used to be part of the package.

Regards

Chris Halliday

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 11:49 PM   in reply to cmhallid

Acrobat 9 Pro Extended included a utility to convert several 3D CAD/CAM formats into 3D PDFs. This product has been discontinued.

Acrobat X Pro matches the features of Acrobat 9 Pro - it can import 3D files in U3D or PRC format, but cannot translate native files. The 3D conversion tool is now owned by Tetra4D, who sell it as a commercial product.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 7:08 AM   in reply to Dave Merchant

Thank you for this Dave, I think its a bit rich having to fork out more money for a capability that I thought I already had.

Regards

Chris Halliday

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 6:21 AM   in reply to Community Help

Hi - 

This page on Adobe's site explains the transition between Acrobat 9 and X. http://www.adobe.com/manufacturing/solutions/3d_solutions/

While it is true that you must buy our plug-in, you only have to buy Acrobat X Pro from Adobe, and not 'Pro Extended' and the cost difference is about the cost of our plug-in.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 7:05 AM   in reply to jimmerry_tetra4D

Greetings Jimmy

Thanks for your comment, I originally purchased pro 9 extended, when I went to upgrade there was no other option other than Acrobat pro X. To regain the CAD file import capability I am really been charged for the same capability twice if I pay for your product (tetra4d). I think that this is poor form on ADOBE’s part.

Regards

Chris Halliday

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 7:25 AM   in reply to cmhallid

If Adobe had an Acrobat X Pro Extended, the upgrade price would have been more than your cost to upgrade to Acrobat X Pro. We offer upgrade pricing for the Acrobat 3D/ProExtended customers who have version 7, 8 or 9. I think you will find your total cost to upgrade is in the same range as the cost was to go from Acrobat 8 Pro Extended to Acrobat 9 Pro Extended.

Regards,

Jim Merry

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2012 1:14 PM   in reply to Community Help

I am rather new with Acrobat and I have a question about 3D files. Am I able to have multiple 3D files embedded in one Adobe file with a template that has buttons that allow me to flip  between the embedded files?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points