Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

WHY DON'T YOU AT LEAST IMPROVE THOSE BRUSH STROKES?!

Mar 23, 2012 3:59 AM

Tags: #photoshop #brush #fail #failure #brushes #strokes #ergonomics

I'm a professional digital artist-illustrator for about 7 years now. using photoshop since early years of my career. CS2, CS4, CS5.. on more than several mashines, top line HP workstations and EliteBook.

and one thing that bothers me and most of my colleagues is the quality of the brush strokes that PS provides.

why don't you improve em for christsake?!?

I must admit, this is a software issue, not mashine. neither the resolution, some options or tablet series has anything to do with this.. and it's especially visible on thicker strokes.

we work on intuos3, intuos4, intuos5, apple, win and whatnot. ant it's most obvious that the brush lines are as ugly as hell in this program entirely through all series.

when it comes to non-vector lineart, thats' basically why most of the artists/designers go for other progams, such as paint tool sai, sketchbook pro, manga studio and etc, and do the effects/coloring only in PS.

here's an ex. how the brush lines end. + if you work slower/move your pen more precise they go even worse!

ps_vs_oth.jpg

I won't go further, like talking about the LAG with mixer brtushes and etc. most of the CG forums and communities are allready full of those discussions. you cannot even compete on this issue with other products.

that might be also a solution to rise your sales around the globe. cos now - why to buy a <1200$ worth PS program in europe when you'll probably end up mainly using paint tool sai or sketchbook pro for around 90$ and go for GIMP (free software) for effects.

(...)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 23, 2012 6:11 AM   in reply to PAUZAK

I've found that switching 'smoothing' off in the brush panel and setting my Wacom pressure sensitivity to a standard '45 degree' linear relationship in the Wacom control panel has helped. I get much better line endings.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 6:08 AM   in reply to PAUZAK

i think you have a wacom/PS settings comprehension fail problem.

i have no issue getting nice brush strokes.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 4:11 PM   in reply to eclic

I'd have to disagree with you eclic. I believe there is a problem here.

See this thread on the Photoshop.com site, and watch the video

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/smoothing_proble m_with_pen_tablets

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 4:26 PM   in reply to Mike_Abbott

This is still an issue with the CS6 beta - Windows only.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,873 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 6, 2012 9:03 PM   in reply to Mike_Abbott

I'm having no problem, so long as I use the right brushes.  Oil Medium Wet Flow, for instance, is easy to control with tapers at both ends.  Other brushes will start nice and thin, and finish fat!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 4:15 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Trevor,

The problem is there - even with the brush tip you mention.

To see this, you need to:

1. Be on a Windows machine (I understand this is a Windows only issue).

2. Have your settings: shape dynamics on; size jitter > control : pen pressure; brush smoothing on.

4. Make quick pressure sensitive strokes on a tablet - lifting off pressure at the end of the stroke.

I don't think it's a massive issue as it looks like it can be worked around with Smoothing switched off - but it should be fixed.

I'm unsure if smoothing is still really necessary as I think it was introduced way back... v7 or even earlier, when machines were, of course, nowhere near as powerful.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 12, 2012 11:14 AM   in reply to PAUZAK

Seems like at least several people in that thread see the problem outside of Photoshop though...

what really bothers me is that it shows on the wacom driver/properties test area.

Do you see it change in the same way they do when Smoothing is disabled?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 12:05 PM   in reply to PAUZAK

One small detail: when you pick up the pen, you end the stroke at zero or near zero pressure.  That's how the pens work (and real paintbrushes/pens for that matter).

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 12, 2012 1:19 PM   in reply to PAUZAK

I can understand a certain level of frustration, PAUZAK, but really?  Are you a part of the same universe I'm in?

Your answer seems defensive; I'm just trying to help.

Points answered:

>then why other products managed to make it work?

I was only commenting on the points made in the thread YOU linked to.  Apparently at least some people see the shoelace thing in the Wacom control panel.  Given that evidence, which I doubt was manufactured, your pretense seems to need questioning.  I suppose it's possible (actually, a certainty) that some products send different commands to the drivers than others, and that the drivers are doing things wrong only under some conditions.  That's why I asked whether the Smoothing setting affected your setup.

>just like this forum.. can't make a reply like in other normal forums, or edit anything

I'm having no problems replying, or editing using any of the major browsers, including Firefox.  I can't edit posts on an iPhone or iPad (not allowed to even try), but if you're using an actual computer and you can't even make the forum work, you have problems on your system.

>adobe is. cannot make the most simple things to work right and not LAG

Some operations in Photoshop are complex and when done with big brushes and all kinds of stuff (fuzzy edges, mixing, etc.) turned on they slow down, but with reasonable sized brushes I've been able to paint stuff, and I certainly don't have the world's fastest computer by today's standards.  And even so, I'm not sure that's a situation where it's not working right per se...  Maybe just one where a better computer is needed to paint with really big brushes and all the fancy stuff turned on.  That *could* be a better computer than any invented yet, but that's okay - see next year's lineup...

>looks like the staff is obviously looking somewhere else

Wow, and you posted that *right* after one of the senior Photoshop scientist/engineers at Adobe responded specifically to you.  When's the last time an engineer from any other big software company responded to you?

>Photoshop is still a huge and expencive disappointment so far. ask any pro

Yeah, all the pros just avoid Photoshop.  That's why Adobe is doing so poorly as a business.  They can hardly sell any copies at all! 

PAUZAK, I'll go out on a limb and say making things up and trolling for shock value and blaming the world for your own problems probably aren't going to help you reach a solution.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 12, 2012 1:56 PM   in reply to PAUZAK

PAUZAK wrote:

it's amazingly frustrating to face such bugs from one update to another

I can imagine that's true for you, given your approach.

they rather use a pirated v. of PS for minor tools/effects, from about more than 300 hundred ppl I know and work/ed with, only 1 has a genuine version : ))))) aint it funny, eh. 

Wow, these are the "pros" you're asking us to respect the opinions of here?

Let them know the authorities are on their way.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points