Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

dynamic link problem, PPro cs5 -> AE cs5, multi-cam sequence

Apr 11, 2012 1:54 PM

This is odd. I'm working on a two camera interview in Production Premium CS5. Did the standard stuff - a source sequence with both cameras, did some rough editing here (syncing the two cameras, trimming the clips, etc.). Then nested the source sequence into a multi-cam edit sequence. Used the multi-cam monitor to switch back and forth between cameras, etc. All is good.

But my editor wants to make three separate videos from this interview. So the logical thing (so I thought anyway) would be to nest this muiti-cam edit squence into three separate target sequences. Then I could get the camera switching done just once, and slice-'n-dice the three target sequences to make the short-'n-sweet individual videos that make my editor happy. Did this for the first target (a single question and answer). The result looks fine in PPro, and editor approves. All that's left is adding the lower thirds.

Everything fine until I go to export to AE via dynamic link so I can add lower thirds and finish up. What PPro sends to AE isn't just my target sequence, but it also sends the multi-cam edit sequence and the source sequence as well. But.... it ignores it all and will only show me the Acam footage. Bcam doesn't show up at all. Clearly this isn't working. But now I find that I can't even break the links. So I can't even start over. Sigh...

Two questions: First, how does one export a multi-cam edit sequence via dynamic link from PPro to AE, and have it show up in AE looking like it does in PPro? In other words, what did I do wrong?

Second, how can I recover from this? Do I really have to delete my target sequence in PPro and start over (and by extension, delete the AE project also)? Is there no way to sever a dynamic link once it's made?

--

Bruce Watson

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 12, 2012 2:07 PM   in reply to cfg_2451

I go to export to AE via dynamic link so I can add lower thirds

Try going the other way 'round.  Create the graphics in AE, and then DL those comps into PP for addition to the sequence.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 4:07 PM   in reply to cfg_2451

Hi Bruce,

Jim already pointed you in the right direction.

The common way to go is:

-You create your lower third in after effects.

-you save. Don't export an intermediate (except your animation won't change, then you can export a file using RGB+alpha channel matching your project in Pr or Avid or any editor)

If you use PR, don't export. No prproject no intermediate, just save.

-in Premiere you choose File>Dynamic Link>import after effects composition.

Then in the opened window, you navigate to the AE project where this comp is,

choose the comp, hit okay, use it like any other source clip, IO in the source monitor or just put it on a Video track above your video in the timeline, like any other title.

And make sure to read the manual articles about dynamic linking.

They can give you a great insight to a fast and powerful workflow.

And you can still use that knowledge in CS6 , I'm pretty sure.

Greetings from Vienna,

felix

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 12:54 PM   in reply to cfg_2451

Glad to be of help.
    I just tried to clarify Jim's correct answer healready gave you.

You can mark your question as answered in this thread, that also helps people experiencing the same problem to find the solutions.

---

and keep smiling...

felix

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 2:04 PM   in reply to cfg_2451

should show up quickly...

this can also depend on your machine.

Sometimes it takes a few seconds ( for me )

are you using mercury playback engine?
    did you render in PR before making changes in AE? if so, maybe you are still seeing the render file made with the "old" version...
    in any case you can clear your work areas render files and re-render.
    -if you get a yellow bar, hit Shift-Enter to force rendering.

does it update to a changed version then?

(no need to exit AE, but do save )

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points