Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I print out individual spreads rather than individual pages? CS4

Apr 11, 2012 5:35 PM

Tags: #print #spreads #print_booklet #indesign_spreads

I am making a booklet and I want to print out the first spread on a different kind of paper then the rest of the spreads. I am hoping that InDesign lets you print a spread rather than just particular pages. Do you know where I would go to do that?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 12, 2012 1:23 AM   in reply to pik80

There is a checkbox that is called "Spreads". Does that do what you want to?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 2:25 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

[Jongware] wrote:

There is a checkbox that is called "Spreads". Does that do what you want to?

Probably not, since the OP mentioned printing a booklet...

Perhaps pik80 would be kind enough to provide full information about the file (number of pages and how it is set up), and OS so we can evaluate the options, and the equipment on which he intends to print. My first reaction would be to use Print Booklet, and depending on the equipment either tell the driver to use a different tray for the first sheet, or print to PDF and manually sepataet the pringting of the first sheet from the rest of the booklet in Acrobat.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 3:51 PM   in reply to pik80

I don't know how to automate this, but I would do this:

Put 1 sheet of cover paper on the top of the regular paper in the tray, and print the booklet normally. It might take some work to keep adding the cover paper as needed if you are printing a lot of these booklets.

Or make 2 files for printing: Cover, inside cover, inside back cover and back cover pages in one--print as a booklet on the cover stock. Interior pages in the other file, print on regular paper. Assemble by hand.

Edited to add: I just noticed that the booklet is 53 pages long. Logically, it should be a number that is divisible by 4, because each sheet of paper will have 4 pages printed on it. If you will have a back cover that should print on the same side of the same sheet of paper as the front cover, it should fall on page 56 (or 52 if you can make the text fit on one less page).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 5:02 PM   in reply to pik80

I would say that bety is essentially correct. You are asking Print Booklet, which is a very baskic imposer, to do things that it just wasn't intended to do. I'd use it to create a PDF, then print the covers and the guts separately from Acrobat and assemble.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points