Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom 3 Flickr Publish: lack of control?!

Jul 5, 2010 8:32 PM

1. How do I prevent it from downloading Flickr comments to Lightroom?

2. How do I remove images from the set to be republished?   It keeps republishing images and deleting the text I've entered on Flickr.  I want to decide if and when images are to be republished.

3. How do I remove images from the set to be deleted from Flickr? Trying to find a way to do #2, I checked "remove from collection" -- thinking it would remove the image from the to-be-republished set, and instead it put the image in the set to be deleted it from Flickr. I saw it sitting in that set and couldn't figure out how to prevent it.

In short, how do I manage the images that are pending for Flickr publishing?

Need better control AND better instructions on how to handle this functionality.  It's  nice to not have to publish to Flickr separately, but I'm about to give up on this -- the defaults are messing up my Flickr stream!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 5, 2010 10:56 PM   in reply to nvhberkeley

If you ever make a mistake while managing flickr plugin photoset... just hit ctrl+z ... it will undo what you have previously done.. I don't really know how deep does the undo will go but give it a try...

I am also customizing the plugin to suit the way flickr behave... there is other plugin that do the same thing but slightly different behavior is Jeffreys Friedl Flickr Plugin. It is quiet good.. but doesn't suit me much... hopefully I can get a working copy of my plugin out soon. I am seriously testing it right now..

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2010 1:30 AM   in reply to nvhberkeley

There are 2 or 3 other threads relating to these problems.

There seems to be no way to remove images from the 'to be re-published' list other than to actually re-publish them. You only lose information on Flickr if you're using a free account, if you are using a 'Pro' account then the comments, titles etc. are not touched.

To remove an image from the 'To delete' list just drag it back into the published library.

What's most worrying is how images get to require re-publishing.  It can seem quite random but I'm sure there's some logic to what's happening.  For example, if you add any keywords to the images they will require re-publishing, even if you haven't used the 'Develop' module.  I also found that using the Flickr library as a group to create a slideshow that when the process had finished 32 of the 98 images in the set required re-publishing.

This thread and this thread both deal with this issue.

Regards,

Norman

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2010 2:14 AM   in reply to njl
    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

njl wrote:

You only lose information on Flickr if you're using a free account, if you are using a 'Pro' account then the comments, titles etc. are not touched.

This is not entirely true... there does not appear a way to add a description for the published set itself at the LR end of the business, but if you use the Flickr web interface to add a description to your published set, then next time you publish from LR the set description is either deleted or over written with blank which is very frustrating.       This is true even if you have a pro account.

Alan.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2010 3:29 AM   in reply to AlanUniqueName

What can I say?  That doesn't happen for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2010 3:38 AM   in reply to njl

Hmmm  Very interesting,  I'll have to investigate it again.  however I did re-test this bug immediately before my post.

I'll try it again with a few more of my sets.

Thanks for the tip off.

Alan

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2010 9:04 AM   in reply to njl

No I still don't get it, I have re-tested it on my other published LR Smart Photosets and still get the bug, and thinking it may be related to it being a Smart Photoset I have re-tested it with a brand new ordinary LR Photoset and still get the bug.

Perhaps we are talking at cross purposes, just to make sure.... I am talking about the set description not any comments on the set.

See attached image of my flickr page...

Bug.jpg

I appreciate I am probably off track from the original post so unless I hear something from an expert which acknowledges it as a known bug then I'm feeling inclined to re-post this as a new discussion to see if this problem is just specific to me and I'll do more research - I suspect it is a bug though.

Alan.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2010 9:22 AM   in reply to AlanUniqueName

This set recently had some images re-published and the description (circled) wasn't overwritten.

Capture.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2010 12:34 PM   in reply to njl
    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

njl wrote:

This set recently had some images re-published and the description (circled) wasn't overwritten.

/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-2952016-33224/Capture.JPG

Thanks njl ... very helpful,

I am now at a total loss as to why yours behaves and mine does not.   I have had a look through all the settings at the LR end and Flickr end to see if there might be something relevant but I cannot see anything that could affect it.

I am also at a loss as to where to go from here.   Even though I sympathise with nvhberkeley's views - and there are clearly a number of bugs around publishing, I was trying stay optimistic that this one would be a known bug fixed in 3.1 so would put up with it for now.   But, now you've got me worried that this is either a strange problem with my setup or a subtle intermittent LR bug and hence might not get fixed - which would really begin to annoy me.

I think I'll wait 24 hours, and if no one else chips in here I'll raise a new discussion with appropriate title to see if anyone else is seeing this behaviour.

Many thanks

Alan.

PS - Nice Puffin shot - and really loved your owl shots... Sorry couldn't resist peeking!

|
    Mark as:
  • TK2142
    407 posts
    Jan 20, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 8, 2010 3:28 AM   in reply to AlanUniqueName

Alan, on Jun 4, 2010 4:07, John Hollenberg answered to a similar post of you "It is a known bug/design issue.  I don't know if/when it will be fixed.  Extremely annoying, in my opinion.". The thread was here http://forums.adobe.com/message/2860684?tstart=0 but seems to be no longer accessible.

Isn't that the kind of confirmation you were seeking?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2010 3:48 AM   in reply to TK2142

Thanks,

Yes I recall raising this before, however what has thrown me now is njl clearly does now have this issue, hence I'm wondering if it is just me.
    As a principle, I don't like to start a discussion twice but I would find it useful to get a broader consensus that it genuuinely is an issue / bug.

I was hoping that one of the "wise ones" could confirm it is known or raised.

I'm still contemplating starting a new thread on it.   I do wish I could check the previous discussion which I presume was in the Beta forum.

Regards

Alan

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2012 1:19 PM   in reply to nvhberkeley

I realize this is an old thread and that the question may have been answered by others. However, I found myself having the same problem and after a bit of digging, I found the very simple solution. Just open the Lightroom Publishing Manager (by double-clicking the Flickr bar in the Publishing Services field). Go to "Flickr Title" and set the "When Updating Photos" to "Leave Existing Title". There you have it.

Regards

Lars

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 5:11 PM   in reply to LDanielsson

Thank you Lars,

I for one appreciate your post. It solved my problem. I had spent 30 minutes searching for the solution you discribed in 3 or 4 related threads and finally...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 6:13 PM   in reply to nvhberkeley

Just wanted to mention this... I have since added and am using Jeffrey Friedl's jfFlickr plug in.. It is awsome, and it gives you lots more control.

Jeffrey’s “Export to Flickr” Lightroom Plugin is donationware. It's free for the version that has a per publish limit for the number of photos.. Donate what you think it's worth to you and you get unlimited unlock code. I think you'll like it!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points