Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Exporting 480 SD footage at 4:3 PAR still chops off some video on the side when watched on HDTV

Apr 12, 2012 5:46 PM

I burned a DVD and checked it on my widescreen tv. There is still a bit of video on the side that is being chopped off even with 4:3 footage showing on widescreen with the black bars on the side. I realized that basically if I export it as square pixels and not 4:3 that it then fits perfectly because it brings the left and right sides of the image in to basically right around the action safe line.. So is this supposed to happen? Is this a "duh" moment for me? Like the name says, I'm somewhat of a noob at this. Should I always be exporting at square pixels?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 12, 2012 7:23 PM   in reply to VidNoob

Doesn't seem like a duh moment. My guess is there is another factor at play. Typically for 4X3 material PAR should remain 4X3 from source to DVD. Sequence settings? DVD player settings? TV auto compensating?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 14, 2012 12:08 AM   in reply to VidNoob

Should I always be exporting at square pixels?

Only for web playback.  For any kind of TV playback, use the correct PAR settings for your footage.  The image will not be cropped at all (assuming you haven't applied any type of crop effect).  If it appears cropped on your display, something else is going on.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points