Skip navigation
MandoMatic
Currently Being Moderated

Stuck Saving File

Apr 12, 2012 1:41 PM

I'm having a file that shows its saving but the progress bar at the bottom left corner of the document show its at 83% for a long time. Like for 5-10 minutes.

Its a 1.21Gb file saving to a server over a network. I've not had this problem before with larger files and it also did it saving to a local disk.

It appears to be done but the progress bar says differently.

I'm runnning a Mac Tower 3.33 6 Core, 24 Gb Ram on OS 10.6.8

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,459 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 12, 2012 2:38 PM   in reply to MandoMatic

Adobe hasn't supported saves over networks in the past, and I don't think that's changed in this version - for good reason.  Sending a large amount of file data across a network has a much greater potential for failure.  They always recommend you save your documents locally, then use the operating system to copy them across the network link.

It's possible you may have to force quit the application if the save never finishes.  If so, I do hope that next time you start Photoshop the Auto-Save feature restores your document so that you have lost nothing.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,459 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 12, 2012 3:13 PM   in reply to MandoMatic

Wow, how many gigabytes is that file on disk?  What kind of network do you have?

I can only guess that your local system must have cached much of the file (in RAM or on the local disk), then Photoshop just just hung near the end waiting for the network to catch up.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,459 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 12, 2012 6:47 PM   in reply to MandoMatic

Thats roughly 1210 megabytes at a theoretical max transfer speed of of 10 megabytes per second more or less.  Therefore, your file transfer should take a minimum of 2 minutes, but many things can cause a network not to achieve its maximum throughput.

I guess if it finally completed it's good, but you say it does the same thing when you save the file locally?  Does it stop making progress for a long time as well (i.e., did I understand you correctly)?  That definitely sounds like some kind of resource problem on your computer. 

Have you seen Photoshop CS6 take this long since you first installed it, or is this new behavior?

Unfortunately, I don't have much knowledge of Macintosh internals, so I'll have to defer to others on why it might be that a save operation could slow down like that.  But I would check to see if the system has logged any disk failures that were recovered-from or any other errors coincident with these slowdowns you have seen.

My system is a PC, but I just saved a 1.2 GB file and did not see it stall, except it stayed at 0% for a few seconds before it starting increasing.

Might be interesting to temporarily deconfigure compression to see if it changes the behavior of your file saving.  In Photoshop - Preferences - File Handling, look for the [  ] Disable Compression of PSD and PSB files setting.  Also, another setting that could change the file size a good bit is the compatibility setting.  Assuming a flattened preview is not required by an old version of Photoshop or another application) you could try setting your Maximize PSD and PSB Compatibility option to "Never".

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points