Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

**** Encore CS5 Crashes when opening saved Projects

Apr 12, 2012 5:22 PM

Tags: #help #dynamic_link #freezes #encore #crash_cs5.5

I'm using an iMac with an i7, 16 GB of RAM, the thing is almost brand new. I'm running Adobe Master Suite CS5.5 and have "tuned my system" to the best I know how, based on the stuff on here.

I've been working on a major DVD where I imported sequences from Premiere CS5.5 (from the encore menu) into Encore using the Dynamic Link function.  The DVD is almost done, but now for some reason, I can't open up the project.  Encore will begin to open the project but after awhile it just freeze and the "Force Close" menu says it's not responding. I've tried leaving it for 30 mins, but it still just freezes. Sometimes the progress bar even gets to 100% but it never actually opens the project. I'm in real trouble if I can't get this to work or if I have to redue everything.

Any ideas?

I have the Premiere Project Files on one external HDD. I have the Encore Files on another External HDD. I have my media cache and scratch files on a third external drive.  They are all running USB 3.0 (in USB 2.0 mode) at 7200rpms. 

I'm trying to think of anything else that you might need to know to answer the question.  I've tried restarting the computer. I make sure Premiere is open with the correct project. I've been having problems with Encore crashing before, so I just recently reinstalled the whole Master Suite.

What to do?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 12, 2012 7:07 PM   in reply to zham61

Please don't post the entire error log unless specifically requested to do so by an Adobe employee.  If other users want to see the log, contact them by PM.  Huge, long error logs make it very difficult to read the topic, and results in fewer people reading, which means less opportunity for you to get help.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 8:30 PM   in reply to zham61

Is Premiere open, and is the project that the sequences are in open, when you try to open this project in Encore? I had one particular sequence which would hang if I did not open it in Premiere before opening the Encore project.

Can you tell if it is a particular sequence that hangs it?

Do a "save as" for a type of backup.

If you can narrow this down to one sequence, you can export that one from Premiere/AME, and do a replace asset.

I don't recall what the Mac equivalent is, but have you tried the PC "run as administrator"? Hangs with external drives always makes me wonder about permissions.

This is not regarding Encore specifically, but I would look at these suggestions:

Troubleshoot system errors and freezes | Adobe software on Mac OS 10.x

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/824/cpsid_82414.html

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 10:22 PM   in reply to zham61

I'm not sure how I would test that theory of trying one sequence at a time, if I can't open the Encore project to begin with.

You sure can't do a "save as"!

Create a new Encore project DL to one of your sequences. Save, Close, Reopen. Does it work? Add another one, etc.

That will not actually prove anything, but may be instructive if it is actually one particular one.

The varying percentage is odd, and makes me wonder.Encore should do these things the same every time. In the problem sequence I described above, it would hang at the same percentage every time.

I'm not aware of a "run as an administrator" function on macs, but I'll look into that.

See #1 and #9 in the link I sent. It looks to me like there is not the same function.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points