Skip navigation
NicoRib
Currently Being Moderated

How to paginate an Indesign document with a PDF File?

Apr 13, 2012 1:02 AM

Tags: #file #issue #pdf #indesign #pagination

Hi everyone!

I'm a french student and i have to do a document on the movie IN TIME (2011) by Andrew Niccol, and i wanted to paginate my document in the style of the counter the characters have on their arms (0000.00.0.00.00.00).

I created it on Photoshop, as a simple Text, and i wanted to know if there was a way to paginate automatically all the document with this file (changing the numbers automatically)? Moreover, it would be perfect if it could be decreasing, like the counter, to have the last paged numbered 0000.00.0.00.00.00.... ?

If someone has an idea....

Thank you for helping me!

I added snapshots to make my question more clear:

PS: I'm sorry for my poor English...

Capturer2.JPG

Capturer.JPG

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 13, 2012 1:27 AM   in reply to NicoRib

Would like know what each field will signify in this...

for ex:-  2012.04.0.00.00.08

so what is 2012--the year,

04-->month

0-->date

what wpoul dbe next 3 set of 00 will signify

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 2:07 AM   in reply to NicoRib

have a look on this :-

http://indesignsecrets.com/use-numbered-lists-instead-of-auto-page-num bering.php

this might help...not able to figure out the part of how to reduce this numbering along with the page number.......

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 3:07 AM   in reply to NicoRib

InDesign cannot change the text inside a Photoshop file -- are you aware of that? You would need to make one Photoshop file for each page.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 3:27 AM   in reply to NicoRib

Found one more thing:--

I beleive you will keep the "2012.04.0.00.00." this think fixed hence you can add the page number on the master page and add this infront of the page number.....and in the numbering and section option Choose the style :-01,02,03

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 4:15 AM   in reply to NicoRib

This is a job for Data merge, if using the photoshop files, but I'm not seeing anything in the screen shot that looks like it must be done in Photoshop because it is impossible to do in ID, which makes life simpler, so I'd just place a text file for the page numbers.

Start in Excel and make a one-column table with your numbers in descending order. After you enter the first three, you should be able to get Excel to autofill the rest. Save as a text file.

In InDesign add a frame to the master page where you want the number to appear, and rotate as desired. Don't forget to thread them together if you put a frame on both pages in the master spread. It looks like this frame is going to need to be on a new layer above other content. Create a paragraph style with the character color and the keep options (start in next frame) to use for the numbers. Also create an object style to add the glow on the text and apply it to your master frames. You can also include the paragraph style in your object style, but you must still select it inthe Paragraph Styles panel before placing the number list or the current default paragraph style will override the object style and things won't work as planned.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points