Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to edit redactions--Part 2

Apr 13, 2012 7:23 AM

Tags: #redact #redaction #apply_redaction

I learned that once they are applied to a pdf file redactions cannot be further modified or edited (Thanks try67).  Actually the redactions were "marked" by my client with a brand new copy of Acrobat 9 (go figure), not by me with Acrobat X. When he first tried redacting he applied the redactions and we ended up with blacked-out redactions that could not be modified. He re-did the redactions but this time around did not apply them so that we could later modify the properties--or so we thought.  Now I have a file of 100-plus pages with redactions marked on most of those pages--in some cases several per page.  I have not "applied" them yet, just saved the file.    But no matter how I set the Redaction Properties (white background, with an explanatory text overlay) when I apply the redactions I end up with the redactions as totally blacked out.  Before I changed the Redaction Properties I don't recall the default settings but I don't think they were set to total black-out.  Right now all the redactions are in the form of a box outlining what is to be redacted but unless I hover the cursor over the box the underlying text shows through.  I made a copy of the document and it seems that any changes I make to the Redaction Properties have no effect on what is already marked but only on what I subsequently mark. The result is that my new redactions are the way I want them but the prior ones marked for redaction are totally blacked out when the redactions are applied. I even tried to re-mark a black-out redaction but to no avail unless I mark an area larger than the earlier redaction.  In the interim the client is hard at work marking more pdf files with redactions.

How can I get the redactions that are marked to look the way I want? 

We may also remove (unmark?) some of the redactions.  Is this possible?   

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points