Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premier Elements 10 video playback is very poor and choppy

Apr 12, 2012 4:32 PM

Tags: #premier_elements_10

When I look at my mts files inusing premier elements 10, the video looks really bad. But when I look at the same videos using windows media player they look fine. Any idea on how I can get my videos to look good in Premier elements? I have a new high end computer.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 12, 2012 4:41 PM   in reply to Don Hrdina

More information needed for someone to help... click these links and provided the requested information

-http://forums.adobe.com/message/4200840

-http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416679

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 4:54 PM   in reply to John T Smith

Also, what model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it? Have you ensured your project settings match these specs?

If your project specs match your video you will NOT see red lines above the clips when you add them to your timeline.

Matching project specs to video is vital to efficient performance.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 6:38 PM   in reply to Don Hrdina

I don't know how you're getting WMV files from this camcorder.

If you use Premiere Elements' Get Media tool to import the video from your sony handycam HDR-CX150 to your computer, your files should be 1920x1080 AVCHD .mts files.

And your project should be set up for Full AVCHD 1920x1080.

If you do that, you should be able to edit this video with your i7 processor and 4 gigs of RAM on a properly set up computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 4:47 AM   in reply to Don Hrdina

You should use Premiere Elements to get the media from your camcorder to your computer, Don -- not the software that came with your camera and certainly not Windows MovieMaker. You want to keep the video in its "native" format, and Premiere Elements will do that.

Just follow my instructions above and you'll be fine.

As for the video you've already captured as WMVs, it's possible you can still use them in Premiere Elements -- but you're going to have the performance issues you're experiencing. So you may actually be wiser completing that project in Windows MovieMaker, the only product that is ideally suited for using WMVs as your editing files.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 7:50 AM   in reply to Don Hrdina

Don,

One big problem with using WMM Live, is that it will be heavily compressing the camera's footage to the WMV wrapper. There is one quality loss right there.

Then, because of the heavy compression to WMV, your computer will have to work overtime, to handle those WMV's in PrE. Though it IS a supported format (with the various WMV CODEC's), much additional processing must take place.

Then, if you output to another compressed format/CODEC, you will take another quality hit.

The beauty of Premiere is that, for the supported formats/CODEC's, it edits the footage in its native state, so that there is not that initial quality hit. It is also very likely that in the native format/CODEC, PrE and your computer, will not have to work so hard.

Last, if your footage uses any flavor of H.264, though supported in PrE, the speed of your CPU will come into play, regarding playback.

Lot of things to think about.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points