Skip navigation
mdfleba
Currently Being Moderated

lens profiles for panasonic 14 - 140 and 100 - 300 lens

Feb 1, 2011 12:44 PM

I have a Panasonic Lumix GH1 with 14 - 140 and 100 - 300 lenses.  Are there profiles for these lenses that can be downloaded into Lightroom 3?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 1, 2011 6:17 PM   in reply to mdfleba

Please check out the Adobe Lens Profile Downloader 1.0 http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/lensprofile_creator.html. Even better, if you have PS CS5, try the in-the-application online search capability from the Lens Correction filter UI.

-Simon

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2011 1:20 PM   in reply to mdfleba

Barry, the lens compensations are applied automatically for the Panasonic GH1. You do not need to take any specific action. Just load the image and you're good to go.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 9:10 AM   in reply to MadManChan2000

MadManChan2000 wrote:

Barry, the lens compensations are applied automatically for the Panasonic GH1. You do not need to take any specific action. Just load the image and you're good to go.

Eric,

Are these applied in the RAW file or just the "baked" jpg?  I was under the impression that the RAW files needed to be opened in there software to have these lens adjustments applied.

Thanks,

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 6:22 AM   in reply to BobDiN

Hi Bob,

The compensations are applied by ACR and Lightroom "on-the-fly" when reading the raw image. In other words, they are not pre-baked into the raw image data itself, but are instead applied during ACR and Lightroom rendering (e.g., to produce the on-screen preview that you see, or to generate exported TIFF files). It is not necessary to use the vendor's software to get this benefit.

Eric

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 10:48 AM   in reply to BobDiN

The compensations are applied by ACR and Lightroom "on-the-fly" when reading the raw image. In other words, they are not pre-baked into the raw image data itself, but are instead applied during ACR and Lightroom

rendering (e.g., to produce the on-screen preview that you see, or to generate exported TIFF files). It is not necessary to use the vendor's software to get this benefit.

Eric

When this lens compensation for the Panasonic GH1 is applied byACR "on-the-fly",

does the "Enable Profile Corrections" in the "Lens Correction" panel need to be checked?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 5:02 PM   in reply to BobDiN

Hi Bob,

No, you don't have to check that box.  That box is only for the case where one is applying an external lens profile to correct an image.  (This case is exceptional because the corrections are being driven automatically by metadata -- i.e., the raw file already contains the required lens-related metadata, so there is no dependency on external lens profiles.)

Eric

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 5:10 PM   in reply to MadManChan2000

Eric,

Now wonder why I didn't needed much (any) pin-cushion or barreling at either end of this zoom.  Thanks for your time and knowledge.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 9:02 AM   in reply to MadManChan2000

Hi,

I just searched for a profile for the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18. Since there isn't a single profile for a Panasonic camera / lens in LR4, can I assume that all Panasonic RAW files contain the required lens-related metadata - including data for removing (or reducing) chromatic aberrations? Otherwise I'd have to create a profile by myself, but that seems to be a somewhat lengthy procedure...

In LR3 I was able to correct chromatic aberrations manually if I wanted, but the sliders have gone now. I could do this in Photoshop CS5 if absolutely necessary, but an automatic correction in Lightroom would of course be much more convenient.

Cheers,

Jan

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 9:25 AM   in reply to JCIhrens

Correct.   Lightroom 2.4 and later automatically apply geometric distortion and lateral CA lens compensations for all Panasonic models with the .RW2 raw format (since LX3, fall of 2008)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 9:39 AM   in reply to MadManChan2000

Thanks for the quick reply.

Hm, I purchased my camera in December 2007, and it uses the .RAW format, not .RW2. I thought I'd find a downloadable profile for it somewhere, but I didn't have any luck yet. 

Well, I'm planning to buy the FZ150 (or, more likely, its successor) some time, so then there'll be no problem, but I have a lot of photos that I haven't postprocessed yet, so I guess I'll have to grasp the nettle and create a profile by myself. I really don't understand why Adobe removed the two sliders for removing chromatic aberrations manually...

Cheers,

Jan

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 4:55 PM   in reply to JCIhrens

There's the "Remove Chromatic Aberration" checkbox in the Profile panel.  Try that instead.  It'll work with all images, regardless of file format.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 5:10 PM   in reply to MadManChan2000

But isn't that based on a profile? That's what the Lens Profile Creator User Guide says:

Once the calibration chart images have been captured, the calibration tool analyze data from the images to create a customized lens profile for correcting geometric distortion, chromatic aberration, and vignette.

And based on what you said, there's no "embedded" profile in the older .RAW files...

Cheers,

Jan

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 5:35 PM   in reply to JCIhrens

No.  In Camera Raw 7 and Lightroom 4, the Remove Chromatic Aberration checkbox is fully automatic. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 5:55 PM   in reply to MadManChan2000

Ah, okay, then I'll give it a try. But if it doesn't depend on a profile, I guess its placement in the "Profile" tab is a little bit unfortunate...

Thanks for your help! 

Cheers,

Jan

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points