Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Timelapse movie in PSE10?

Apr 13, 2012 9:35 AM

Tags: #help #pro #premiere #elements #10 #time #2 #pse10 #timelapse #lapse #go #gopro #hero #mountains

I'm currently trying to create a timelapse movie via Premiere Elements 10, but I am struggling to figure this out. After three days of searching the web for tutorials, and watching every PSE video on YouTube, this is my last resort. Every time I import my photos (all 4,000+ of them) they get imported at 05:00 clips opposed to still images. I've tried going to Edit/Preferences/General to change my single image duration, but I can't find anything that makes sense. Under Stop Motion settings it lists number of skins and opacity.. I'm brand new to video editing so I'm unsure of how opacity is used for timelapse/stop-motion stuff, but what are skins? Anyway, I'm finding myself getting really frustrated here because everything online says to click the capture stop-motion button or what have you, and I can't find anything of the sort.

Help?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 13, 2012 10:02 AM   in reply to Monkeezilla

You must make sure to change the Still Image Duration in Preferences BEFORE you bring the photos into your project. The changes to Preferences only affect media added AFTER the change.

And, of course, make sure your photos are no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size, per our recommendations here and in my books, or you'll likely overload the program.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2012 8:53 PM   in reply to Monkeezilla

you figure this out? I'm in the same boat... I see adobe documentation helping you do a live capture timelapse, but not if you already have stills. I know how to set the duration before the import... but how do you drag more than one still to the timeline at a time? I'm not dragging for each image.....

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 5:17 AM   in reply to ErikTurner

Shift-Click them and then drag them all into your project.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 8:39 PM   in reply to ErikTurner

Neale has covered getting the entire Import to the Timeline nicely, so you should now be able to quickly get them where you want them.

For Timelapse, I find that for most of my subjects, a Duration of about 3 - 5 Frames (not seconds) works nicely. However, depending on both the subject and frequency of your shots, plus the exact look that you want, a different Duration, from say 1 Frame to 10 Frames, might be the best choice. Even with similar subjects and frequencies, I will do a test, with but a few Still Images, and explore the various Durations.

Also, if you plan on using, say Cross-Dissolves between them, you can also adjust the Duration of the default Transition, before you place those, to accommodate the look that you wish.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 9:13 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Nealeh... thanks... not sure how I didn't think of that method, works great.

Bill, thanks for your thoughts. speaking of transitions... is there a way to do a transition that lasts for more than one still image? Whenever I drag the transition over it snaps to the end of an image, and the transition cannot be forced to be longer than the duration of the image its attached to. I was thinking of getting a clear video layer and applying transitions to that, but there must be a simpler / easier way than that...

thanks

Erik

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 9:24 PM   in reply to ErikTurner

If you have Transitions on both ends of a Clip, or Still Image, they cannot be longer than half of the Duration of that Clip, or Still Image. Most Transitions require Handles, to function properly. This ARTICLE goes into more detail, and I think that it will explain why one needs to adjust the Duration of a Transition, to be accommodated by the Clip, or Still Image.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 2:27 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Hi, I sympathise with the guy who couldn't understand the 'help' instructions on time lapse. Where, e.g. is the 'capture panel'? Without that I can't get anywhere. I've taken some 300 sky stills and want to make a 10sec. video. Can somebody give me idiot proof instructions, which actually relate to the screen in Adobe Premier 10.

If I could find this magic capture panel, and the bit where it says, 'create' stop motion,' I might be in with a chance. Why does the 'help' NEVER help?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 2:35 PM   in reply to Jacky.White

Capture is only for getting data from a miniDV tape camera. For Still Images, you will not need that.

Where are your Still Images stored?

With your PrE Project Open, go to Add/Get Media, navigate to where the Still Images are stored, and then Import them into your Project.

Note: you will have fewer problems, if you first Scale any overly large Still Images, to about the Frame Size of your Project, say ~ 1920 x 1080 for an HD Project, before you Import those.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 10:22 AM   in reply to Jacky.White

Jacky.white

I have had a lot of experience in this matter from the Premiere Elements perspective, and I would bring the following to the discussion table as well as offer you a workflow that should work for you. Below is an except from what I wrote in guiding someone to a successful Premiere Elements 10 Time Lapse project at another forum not so long ago.

The scheme leaves the Edit Menu/Preferences/Still Image Default Duration as is (NTSC 150 frames/5 seconds) at import. And, IMPORTANT, a folder containing the ordered properly sized photos is what is imported into Premiere Elements where the ordering of the photos is maintained when the whole folder is dragged to the Timeline. Adjustments in duration of the Timeline sequential photos are then madie with Time Stretch Tool. Allows for a lot of flexibility and experimenting with different duration to get the best possible effect.

If you have any questions about the excerpt, please ask me here. I can supply a link to the whole thread if wanted.

Your basic focus areas for any compiler and/or follow up are:

1. Obtaining a series of photos taken over a period of time automatically using the Nikon in its time lapse mode at the time gap that you want.

2. Compiling those photos, maintaining the sequence, into a Folder.

When we put Premiere Elements into the equation

3. Importing that Folder into Premiere Elements with its Get Media/Files and Folders, dragging the Folder to the Timeline.

If you do nothing, each photo will have the default duration set in Edit Menu/Preferences/General "Still Image Default Duration". That option there is given only in frame units. So, in my NTSC 30 frames/sec project with the Adobe default 150 frames, that would be equivalent to 5 seconds for the Still Image Default Duration. In that Preferences area, that Still Image Default Duration can be set from 1 frame (equiv. 0.033 sec) to 1000000 frames (equiv. 33.333 sec). Your goal will be to shorten the Still Image Duration for all to get the desired effect. If you know by experimentation what that ideal duration is for this type of project, then set it here and THEN import the Folder. Otherwise, import the Folder, drag it to the Timeline, highlight all, right click the highlight, and adjust the photo duration using Time Stretch until you get the desired effect. In the Time Stretch dialog, the display is:

00;00;00;05;00, representing hours; minutes; seconds; and frames. Example, if I decreased the photo duration there from 5 to 2 seconds, I would have a reading of 00;00;02;00. If I decreased the photo duration there from 5 seconds to less than 1 second (say to 0.3 seconds), I would have a reading of 00;00;00;09. That 9 frames would be equivalent to 0.3 second in my NTSC 30 frames per second project.

Bottom line: In this experimentation process, decrease the Still Image Duration progressively until you see the desired results. You can fine tune your approach later where you might need to do the math on how many photos and what duration for each to get your wanted video duration. You do not want to end up with a 6 hour video for a project where the total length of the movie and the duration of the photos were not taken into consideration beforehand.

Premiere Elements approach is not that hard but there are those "details" to be aware of.

Please check out the above and then let me know if we are OK with the details.

ATR

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 9:36 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Thanks Bill, the images are on my external hard drive. I'll reduce them and try again. I wish the 'help' in Adobe was easier to follow, it assumes a lot of knowledge. If I had that I wouldn't need help eh?

Jacky White

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 11:05 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Thankyou, that was very detailed. After another 2 hrs trying to follow your instructions, I still cannot get a 10sec. video out of my 300 timelapse sky pics. I reduced the size as you said. UK uses Pal standard, not NTSC, so the settings you gave me don't apply. I went to edit, preferences, general and still image default Default, which was quoted in frames. I tried everything from 25 (default) to 100. I dragged the 300 pics to the timeline, ctr A then selected time Stretch. It was locked and couldn't be altered. The frames still play at 1 per second.

Could you give specific instructions for PAL please, with the settings as they dislplay on my screen.

I want 10 seconds of sky from my 300 pics if possible. Do I add a transition?

Jacky White

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 6:59 AM   in reply to Jacky.White

Jacky.white

Thanks for the follow up.

Your issue does not go to the procedure but from the fact that Premiere Elements does not allow for a shorter still image duration than 1 frame whether you beforehand set Edit Menu/Preferences/General and its Still Image Default duration field or whether you use by suggestion to leave that setting as is and make your photo duration changes all at one time on the Timeline level with Time Stretch.

For NTSC and the 30 frames per second system, the 1 frame is equivalent to 0.033 seconds for each still. For PAL and the 25 frames per second, the 1 frame is equivalent to 0.040 seconds for each still. So at 300 photos each with a duration of the program's minimum of 0.040 seconds, you cannot get a total run time for those 300 photos in 10 seconds, rather 12 seconds.

So essentially the matter really goes to the 1 frame limit rather to NTSC vs PAL where

NTSC (29.97/30 frames per second)

150 frames would be 5 seconds

1 frame would be 0.033 seconds

versus

PAL (25 frames per second)

150 frames would be 6 seconds

1 frame would be  0.040 seconds

In each case, you cannot set for less than 1 frame.

Some comments specific to what you wrote:

I went to edit, preferences, general and still image default Default, which was quoted in frames. I tried everything from 25 (default) to 100.

"25" is not the default there. It is "150".

If you went and set for 25 to 100 in the field for Still Image Default duration in Edit Menu/Preferences/General, remember those values are for frames with 1 frame = 0.040 seconds, 25 frames = 1.00 second, and 100 frames = 4.00 seconds. If you were after 300 photos with run time 10 seconds, you should have been down to the 1 frame setting, not 25 and above.

I dragged the 300 pics to the timeline, ctr A then selected time Stretch. It was locked and couldn't be altered.

Time Stretch should show an active duration field that you can set without issue. The only time I have encountered an inactive Time Stretch dialog in the type of Time Lapse study that I have described is when a video file has mistakenly found its way into the files on the Timeline with the select all. So please take a look at what you have in that folder with 300 photos that you have imported into the project as well as what you picked up with the select all on the Timeline. I suspect you may have video file in there somewhere.

Also, with 300 photos with a run time of 12 seconds, I would not bother with video transitions.

I will give you a step by step with screenshots if the above does not clear up any questions that you have. How close did you come for a run time for those 300 photos which would have a run time of 1800 seconds if you left the preferences Still Image Default Duration of 150 frames (6 seconds) for each still?

Please review and then let me know if you need further clarification on anything that I have written.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 8:36 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

Please check me out on this potential workflow.

As stated, the minimum Still Duration is 01 Frame, as one cannot have partial Frames. With PAL, that would yield 25 Frames per second. Jacky has 300 Still Images, so is looking at a total Duration of 12 sec., where a Duration of 10 sec. is desired.

If Jacky had those Images in a single folder, with nothing else in it, and the Stills were numbered, i.e. ending in 001 through 300, from Add Media>Files & Folders, then you would choose ___001, and at the bottom check Numbered Stills, those would be Imported into the Project as a Numbered Still Sequence, with a Duration of 12 sec. With that Numbered Still Sequence on the Timeline, Time Stretch could be 120% with Reverse Speed checked, to get to a Duration of 10 sec.

Because I have not followed everything, I need someone looking over my shoulder on this, in case I have missed something that will cause a problem.

@ Jacky,

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 10:14 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt

Did you ever check out what you are suggesting with Premiere Elements 10, that Jacky has, or Premiere Elements 11 which you have?

If the folder for import has sequentially placed photos (irregardless how you got them sorted in the folder in the sequence of shooting), the idea appears to fall apart since Time Stretch dialog only offers the opportunity to change the duration. The Speed% change and Reverse Speed are grayed out under the circumstances. I looked at this in Premiere Elements 10 and 11.

Last I heard, you have Premiere Elements 4 as well as Premiere Elements 11. And, in Premiere Elements 4, I find that Time Stretch is not a choice at all when you right click the photo thinking to change Time Stretch's Speed% or duration or Reverse Speed. What gave you the idea that Speed% change has anything to do with photos (stills)?

If Jacky finds it critical to have a 10 second instead of a 12 second Time Lapse video from Premiere Elements 10 PAL setup, she might want to consider strategically removing 50 of the 300 photos. But let us see what Jacky's verdict is on 12 vs 10 as critical requirement.

Please let me know the basis for your idea.

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 10:18 AM   in reply to Jacky.White

Jacky.white

What are the pixel dimensions of the photos that are going into the desktop folder that you are importing into Premiere Elements 10?

And, what project preset are you selecting for this project?

And, what is your intended export for the Time Lapse video?

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 1:05 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

I only have PrE 4 and PrE 11, and tested in PrE 11.

I also did a quick test in PrPro (have many versions of that program), and it worked there, as well.

If there is a limitation in PrE 10, then it might get down to either Exporting/Sharing that Numbered Sequence, then Importing that as a Video Asset, and adjusting the Speed (I did that with an MS-AVI using the Lagarith Lossless CODEC, and it worked too, but also in PrE 11), or living with the 02 sec. difference in desired Duration.

Thank you for testing, and reporting, as it should be helpful to Jacky.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 1:37 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

Where in what you said before, did you include an extra Timeline export/import step?

If Jacky had those Images in a single folder, with nothing else in it, and the Stills were numbered, i.e. ending in 001 through 300, from Add Media>Files & Folders, then you would choose ___001, and at the bottom check Numbered Stills, those would be Imported into the Project as a Numbered Still Sequence, with a Duration of 12 sec. With that Numbered Still Sequence on the Timeline, Time Stretch could be 120% with Reverse Speed checked, to get to a Duration of 10 sec.

You cannot set Speed % in the Premiere Elements Time Stretch dialog for stills.

Further, you say that you tested in Premiere Elements 4 and 11...

Premiere Elements 4, does not allow you to use the Time Stretch on a group of selected stills (in sequence or otherwise) on the Timeline.

Premiere Elements 11, like version 10, does lets you set duration but not Speed% and Reverse Speed for these stills.

So what is it that worked for you in those tests?

I have repeated and repeated these points here and keep getting the basic workings for the tools. And, why would you expect to get Speed % if non video (motionless) media.

Please think stills and not videos on the Premiere Elements Timeline of this Time Lapse project.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 2:30 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

I did not, as in PrE 11, the more direct, Import Numbered Sequence, and then the Time Stretch worked without it. I just continued my testing, and used the Export/Share to MS-AVI Lagarith Lossless, then Imported that, and used Time Stretch on that AVI file, with the same result - 10 sec. Duration.

I went on to test it with two versions of PrPro (CS 2 and CS 6), with the same results.

At the time, I was unaware that PrE 10 could not handle the Numbered Sequence w/ Time Stretch, like PrE 11 could, so did not post of my other tests, especially the Export/Share with Lagarith, and Import method, as it required more steps. I was hoping that my workflow for PrE 11 would work for Jacky, but obviously not.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 2:32 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

When one Imports a Numbered Sequence, Premiere does not see that as a group of Stills, per se, but creates Video from those Stills, with a Duration of 1 Frame per Image. Thus, no need to try to apply Time Stretch to a group of Stills, but to the Video created from them.

Hope that helps,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 3:38 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

Thanks for the additional information on your suggestions. I am not a fan of the Import a Numbered Sequence in the Time Lapse workflow, but I will study all you have mentioned, weigh the pros and cons, and report back.

What I have written still stands as written with bottom line.

Bottom line: In this experimentation process, decrease the Still Image Duration progressively until you see the desired results. You can fine tune your approach later where you might need to do the math on how many photos and what duration for each to get your wanted video duration. You do not want to end up with a 6 hour video for a project where the total length of the movie and the duration of the photos were not taken into consideration beforehand.

But, to make it clear, the above was not including or making critical a 2 second difference in the duration of any exported Time Lapse video. A special matter to be taken up when it pops up.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 3:52 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

When one wishes a 1 Frame/Image Timelapse, what problems do you have with Numbered Sequences?

While I do not use it that often (usually going with slightly longer Durations of Stills, myself), for a 1 Frame/Image, it has always worked fine for me.

Thanks,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 10:06 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt

Too late to go into it now, but I am just about ready to respond in full to your question "what problems do you have with Numbered Sequences" and other related matter that you introduced in trying to get a 10 second Time Lapse Timeline for a PAL workflow that is giving minimum as 12 seconds instead of 10.

I think that I have followed what you are proposing, except for why did you put "Reverse Speed" in the mix?

I will share my views on this in the light of day.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 4:52 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Thanks, I didn't know I had

Jacky White

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 5:02 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Wow, you guys are brilliant. I don't mind a 12vs video, anything that looks like fats-moving clouds would be great. I have now reduced as you suggested and have a video. However (sorry guys) the view panel on my Adobe onlt shows a section of the photos for playback. I have a still tree in the forground for effect, and it won't show it, even if I reduce the magnification on the preview panel.

I didn't realise you guys were talking to each other.

I'll check the full forum,

thanks

Jacky White

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 7:07 AM   in reply to Jacky.White

Jacky

Here is how I am interpreting what you would like addressed in the workflow that I described.

1. You have a background (still) image on Video 1 (still tree), presumed at the default duration of the Edit Menu/Preferences/General and its Still Image Default Duration (6.0 seconds, 00:00:06:00)

2.You are dragging the imported Folder (300 jpegs ordered sequentially) to the start of Video 2. All you see in the monitor is the first photo in the series and not the tree below. So,

3. Expand the Timeline a little with the -+ slider above the Timeline. Click on the first image to select it.

(a) And, then scale it down that first image on Video 2 as wanted with the handles on the bounding box in the monitor or using Properties Palette/Motion Panel expanded/Scale property.

(b) With this first image selected, Edit Menu/Copy.

(c) Edit Menu/Select All

(c) Edit Menu/Paste Attributes

4. At this point, you have your 300 photos (each with a 6 seconds duration0 scaled so that the image on Video 1 is visible. The total duration of the Timeline is 30 minutes (00:00:30:00).

5. Right click the Timeline content which is still selected, select Time Stretch, and set the duration to 1 frame (00:00;00:01). You now have your 300 photos (each at a duration of 0.040 seconds) with the total duration of 12 seconds.

6. Your background (still image) is on Video 1 with the duration of 6 seconds. That needs to be changed to 12 seconds to match the total duration of the Video 2 content. Consequently, right click the background image, select Time Stretch, and set the duration to 12 second (00:00:12:00).

7. Render the Timeline to get the best possible preview of what you have.

Please review and let us know if that worked for you. If I mistargeted you question in your latest post, please let me know with further details.

Thanks again for the follow up.

Sometime today I will be posting background information related to what you wanted to do and have achieved. My core information remains that same but the additional information to be posted is intended to allow Hunt and others to better understand and see my point of view on this.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 12:59 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt and Jacky

I have no problems executing either in Premiere Elements 10

a. Numbered Stills feature which results with placing a Timeline video representation of the 300 sequentially numbered photos at their lowest duration set (1 frame)

versus

(b) the Folder approach which takes the whole Folder with the 300 jpeg photos as placed in the Folder to theTimeline as 300 jpeg photos  @ program default 6 seconds, followed by subsequent exploring and experimentaing with photo duration adjustment with Time Stretch (ex. 5 to 1 frame).

But I do prefer the Folder approach since I believe it offers more flexibility, eliminates extra work in renaming files numberically and having to deal with a video representation that does not offer break apart command. The major givens in all this include:

• Still Image Default Duration cannot be set to less than 1 frames (0.033 seconds NTSC setup and 0.04 seconds PAL setup)
    • Numbered Stills feature requires renaming files sequentially and numerically.
    • Numbered Stills Feature dictates a video representation of the photos on the Timeline specific to the Still Image Default Duration condition = 1 frame (0.033 seconds NTSC setup and 0.04 seconds PAL setup). Often this 1 frame duration set is too extreme for the Time Lapse effect.
    • Video on Timeline has available to it Time Stretch Speed % and Duration; whereas stills on the Timeline have available to it just Time Stretch Duration. The video form probably lends itself more to any needed scaling adjustments than does the copy/paste attributes procedure described in an earlier thread for Jacky's consideration.

Hunt wrote:

Please check me out on this potential workflow.

As stated, the minimum Still Duration is 01 Frame, as one cannot have partial Frames. With PAL, that would yield 25 Frames per second. Jacky has 300 Still Images, so is looking at a total Duration of 12 sec., where a Duration of 10 sec. is desired.

Because I have not followed everything, I need someone looking over my shoulder on this, in case I have missed something that will cause a problem.

Yes, what you have described using the Numbered Stills feature will result in a 10 second Time Lapse video representation (.jpg file type according to PE Properties) of the 300 sequentially numbered photos, each with a 1 frame duration. All of that is doable in Premiere Elements 10 without the need for bringing other non Elements programs into the equation. But, I still have not figured out the rationale behind you including "Reverse Speed" in what you described.

a. Files more often than not will have to be batch renamed sequentially and numerically to meet the Numbered Stills feature. But this batch renaming can be done at the same time as batch resizing in the Photoshop Elements Full Editor/File Menu/Process Multiple Files at the same time as batch resizing. If batch resizing is not needed, then I find this batch renaming sequentially and numerically becoming just an add to the workflow.

b. The video produced has the perk of having available to it both the Speed% and Duration fields of Time Stretch. A video with no break apart command can prove problematic especially when dealing wiith the video brought into the project with the minimum specifications for photo duration.

c. Your suggested workflow to accomodate a 10 second Time Lapse Timeline appears to be the implementation of one of the alternatives for the 12 to 10 second Time Lapse that I wrote about earlier in this thread.

If Jacky finds it critical to have a 10 second instead of a 12 second Time Lapse video from Premiere Elements 10 PAL setup, she might want to consider strategically removing 50 of the 300 photos.

Compare...when you use the Time Stretch Speed% change from 100 to 120% (your Numbered Stills route), you are causing the program to do just that, that is, get rid of 50 of the 300 frames (photos in this case). With that Speed% change of 120%, the program is being directed to make every 1.2 frames 1. Typically, for fast or slow motion, whole number is preferred for smoothness. The significance of the latter to this case has not been explored.

Lots more, but I will leave the comments at this point. As I always write, one must go with what works for them in a flexiable workflow that allows for the "it works for me" or "it does not work for me" decision.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 12:46 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Thanks, both of you for the very detailed discussion. I now have my 12 second video with 300 photos, which would look quite good if Adobe didn't 'crop' the pictures in the preview screen.

I'm making an amateur video representing all the good things about Cornwall UK. I want to include the fabbo skies and star trails. I've bought a great Nikon with time lapse (interval shots) and want to add this to the presentation.

I'm nearly there!

You lot are so bright

Jacky White

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 6:37 AM   in reply to Jacky.White

Jacky.white

Thanks for the follow up with the great news that you have created your Time Lapse view from Premiere Elements.

I am not clear what you meant by

I now have my 12 second video with 300 photos, which would look quite good if Adobe didn't 'crop' the pictures in the preview screen.

If that is something that we can try to help you with, please let us know, but with a little more detail. Is that just confined to the Preview Screen or is that "crop" represented in the exported video?

Thank you.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2013 12:23 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Ref; cropping. I haven't exported the file as I can't see what it would look like. I've tried altering the screen by right-clicking and adjusting the % but this makes no difference. The full photo shows briefly then the screen only shows a section of it. It only happens with the timelapse videos, not the others that I make. I've reduced the size of the pics as you suggested, still no difference. I've rendered the video but it still shows in the preview screen as a % of the original.

Jacky White

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2013 1:09 PM   in reply to Jacky.White

Jacky.white

Let us go through this systematically. So, please excuse if I am going over something you already know or are doing.

1. When you set up your desktop folder with your 300 photos, what were their pixel dimensions. Can I assume 1920 x 1080 pixels? I am going to assume that for this example.

2. With your 1920 x 1080 photos, you should have selected a 1920 x 1080 project preset. In that way, the images should fit exactly in the space in the Edit Mode Monitor (no black borders).

a. if you right click the monitor, select Magnification, "Fit" should be selected.

b. if you go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General, the preference for "Default Scale to Frame Size" should be selected.

3. At one point you mentioned (what I understood as) scaling all you photos so that the Time Lapse video would have a surrounding background of a tree. Did that turn out OK when you did that? Here is the excerpt from the earlier thread related to this point.

Here is how I am interpreting what you would like addressed in the workflow that I described.

1. You have a background (still) image on Video 1 (still tree), presumed at the default duration of the Edit Menu/Preferences/General and its Still Image Default Duration (6.0 seconds, 00:00:06:00)

2.You are dragging the imported Folder (300 jpegs ordered sequentially) to the start of Video 2. All you see in the monitor is the first photo in the series and not the tree below. So,

3. Expand the Timeline a little with the -+ slider above the Timeline. Click on the first image to select it.

(a) And, then scale it down that first image on Video 2 as wanted with the handles on the bounding box in the monitor or using Properties Palette/Motion Panel expanded/Scale property.

(b) With this first image selected, Edit Menu/Copy.

(c) Edit Menu/Select All

(c) Edit Menu/Paste Attributes

4. At this point, you have your 300 photos (each with a 6 seconds duration0 scaled so that the image on Video 1 is visible. The total duration of the Timeline is 30 minutes (00:00:30:00).

5. Right click the Timeline content which is still selected, select Time Stretch, and set the duration to 1 frame (00:00;00:01). You now have your 300 photos (each at a duration of 0.040 seconds) with the total duration of 12 seconds.

6. Your background (still image) is on Video 1 with the duration of 6 seconds. That needs to be changed to 12 seconds to match the total duration of the Video 2 content. Consequently, right click the background image, select Time Stretch, and set the duration to 12 second (00:00:12:00).

7. Render the Timeline to get the best possible preview of what you have.

Please review and let us know if that worked for you. If I mistargeted you question in your latest post, please let me know with further details.

Thanks again for the follow up.

Sometime today I will be posting background information related to what you wanted to do and have achieved. My core information remains that same but the additional information to be posted is intended to allow Hunt and others to better understand and see my point of view on this.

ATR

Please review the above to see if we can figure out the difference between the intended and what actually happened.

Thanks for asking for clarification.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points