Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Duplicate Layer Mystery

Apr 13, 2012 8:01 AM

Tags: #duplicate_layer

Ok, this has been bugging me for years, have searched and searched with no answers, hope someone here has an idea. When I duplicate a layer, sometimes the layer will automatically duplicate as a copy within the same document, and sometimes it will open the dialog box that allows duplicating to another document. Does this happen to anyone else? Any ideas why? It seems to happen randomly, on both iMacs I use, as far back as I can remember (using CS4 now). I'm beginning to think I'm the only one this has happened to...

thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 13, 2012 10:04 AM   in reply to troyjack1

It depends on the steps your using to duplicate the layer.

If you either drag the layer down to the new layer icon at the bottom of the layers panel (using no modifier keys) or Cmd-J, then you shouldn't get any dialogs.

If you right click on the layer in the layers panel and choose Duplicate Layer or Layer>Duplicate Layer, then you will get a dialog.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 10:36 AM   in reply to troyjack1

You would get a menu similar to this by right clicking on the layer and if you choose Duplicate Layer then you would get a dialog.

If your were holding down the option key while choosing Duplicate Layer then that would skip the the dialog and duplicate the layer as if dragging to the new layer icon.

Untitled-4.png

Untitled-3.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 13, 2012 5:09 PM   in reply to troyjack1

It's not supposed to skip that dialog.  I can't say I've ever had it skip it.  I guess either you must be accidentally holding a key down that you're not aware of (or one is stuck) or you're witnessing is some kind of bug.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 5:18 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Have you tried a different keyboard?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 17, 2012 8:49 AM   in reply to troyjack1

One thing comes to mind, since you mentioned cropping...

When you crop, and the [  ] Delete Cropped Pixels option is NOT selected, it automatically changes your Background into a layer, without prompting...  I wonder if the setup to avoid prompting in that feature somehow could be messing up the subsequent prompting for duplicating layers...

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points