Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Delete Previous Version - file associations

Apr 13, 2012 8:55 AM

Have a question on file association problems when deleteing previous version of PS.

For example user bought CS5 and  installed.  File Associations now changed by defauilt to CS5.

If user un-installs CS4, the file associations now revert back to CS4, even though that version is not on computer.

Changing file associations is Bridge and in the OS does not solve file association problem.

One either has to uninstall PS and wipe Adobe files, then re-install latest version, or go into OS registry and make changes.  Registry changes can be difficult for many.

I am sure when CS6 is released we will again have this same scenero, as outlined above, repeated unless the code has been changed.

The question is:  In CS6 will this bug have been eliminated?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 13, 2012 11:28 AM   in reply to Curt Y

File Type Associations should never change to the version of a product that has just been removed. All references to that version of the product should have been taken out of the system. This sounds like there might be a registry permission issue on your system, especially if you find that you are unable to change the associations manually.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 13, 2012 12:07 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Just because it's happend to multiple people doesn't make it not machine or user specific (a problem with user permissions on one computer can happen on another as well). I've never seen this behavior on any of my systems and I have to install and uninstall random versions of the software all the time. The most recently installed version of the software should always have the file type associations, regardless of what versions have been removed.

Have you been able to reproduce the issue on your own machine during testing?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points