Skip navigation
TEFryer
Currently Being Moderated

CS4 updating questions

Apr 13, 2012 12:37 PM

I'm in newspaper publishing and used CS4 (even taught InDesign for a year) but have not been on it for nearly 2 years.

Currently at a major daily newspaper using CCI (meh).

Would like to do up iPad demos of some possibilities for the bosses, but before upgrading to CS5.5 have a couple of questions:

1) The effects I see on iPad publications such as Newsweek and Vanity Fair (rotating design changes, all buttons bringing up words and pix, tapping on pictures to bring up text, tapping on the tablet to bring up a scrubber bar, slider windows for text, pictures sliding over text in fact boxes — in short, ALL the cool things I see on my ipad) are these effects I can make happen using CS5.5's InDesign and photoshop? Or are those effects from some other application?

2) If I were to design a one-off app (publication) for demonstration, is it possible to get it onto more than one iPad for bosses to try out using the lowest upgrade aval;able?

Thanks in advance for any help in answering these questions.

I just don't want to upgrade unecessarily if what I hope it can do in fact can't be done.

Cheers

T

Replies
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,643 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 13, 2012 12:49 PM   in reply to TEFryer

Yes, if you get inDesign CS5.5 and then install the free DPS tools, you'll be able to create folios and share them with anyone else who has an iPad through the free Adobe Content Viewer app. If you want to create your own viewer app (such as Newsweek or Vanity Fair), that's when you need to pay more money. One other bonus is that if you buy InDesign CS5.5 now, you can update to InDesign CS6 for free. But before you dive in, watch a few videos and learn the workflow basics. Here's one place to start:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/digitalpubsuite/using/WS67cb9e293e2f1f6017 4dc2eb12f2ca67c28-8000.html

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 21, 2013 9:53 AM   in reply to TEFryer

1.       Yes

2.       You can distribute proof of concepts and test versions for free using the Adobe Content Viewer. No need to spend any money on that step.

Now is great time to upgrade. You’ll get 10% off the cost of CS5.5 (if you spend $375 or more) and you’ll also get a free upgrade to CS6 when it ships.

Hope that helps,

Bob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points