Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

AME runs CPU at 100 percent and exports very slow

Mar 16, 2012 9:15 AM

I'd like to find out if there's something I have set incorrectly, either in AME or in the computer's settings. I regularly export videos from 1-4 hours in length. They are very basic (single camera, one layer, no effects, basically adding a title intro and outro screen to unedited interviews and lectures, and exporting for YouTube) The computer seems to take much longer than necessary to export these videos in AME (I'm currently waiting through a 4 hour video that has been encoding for 19 hours, with estimated 8 hours remaining) and it runs at 100% CPU usage while encoding.

Here are some details on my setup:

Computer: Dell Precision M6500 (mobile workstation)

Processor: Itel Core i7 CPU

RAM: 8 GB

Free disc: 110GB of 284GB

This system was purchased by my employer for the sole purpose of editing and exporting video. Is this a competent setup? Its about a year old now, and seemed to be a bit quicker with the encoding/exporting when it was new.

Here's the details on the current project I'm waiting to encode/export:

- 4 hour video timeline (comprised of four 1-hour Quicktime MOV videos sequenced in a single layer/track timeline) each Quicktime video is under 500MB

- exporting H.264 Preset "YouTube HD" (VBR 1 pass, and all the following unchecked: render max depth, render max quality, use previews, use frame blending)

- exporting by "queue" with estimated file size 9624MB

The 1 hour files I received to put in my timeline are Quicktime this time, but I also receive AVCHD files, MPEGs, and other types, all with equally long encode/export times)

Any suggestions or ideas will help....if nothing else to pass the time while I wait for this export!! Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 16, 2012 4:38 PM   in reply to Multihandle

Hi,

your PC is great. Don't change a thing.

1: Render Max Depth changes the rendering (ie the video manipulation before it gets encoded) from 8bit integers (eg 0...255) to 32bit Floating Point (eg 1.23456789).

Floating Point manipulation (math,logic,comparisons) takes A LOT longer than Integer manipulation.

So right there you are probably taking a 400% hit to your render time.

2: Render Max Quality makes it a little slower but not much so leave this on.

3: Use Previews likewise, leave it on.

4: Frame Blending - ouch. interframe blending is slow... Only turn this on if your sequence isn't at the same framerate as the export frame rate. <<< post why you have it on otherwise and we can discuss merit and alternatives.

I assume your sequence dimensions are not the same as the YouTube HD output dimensions. If that's the case make sure you export the Sequence rather than exporting to an intermediate file and then in Adobe Media Encoder (AME) opening it as a File. If you Queue the sequence the Resize of the frame will be done on the GPU via the "Mercury Playback Engine (MPE)" - which is just a fancy way of saying that some of the most used plugins, including Re-size, & Fast Color Corrector, have been implemented as plugins that can run on the nVidia video card in parallel with the Intel i7 doing other stuff. Only Queued Sequences can use PPro's MPE so if you open the video for transcode the Intel i7 has to do the re-size too (which is compupationally intensive).

In summary, the Max Depth is your biggest time hog. Since the target is YouTube (which is YUV420 8bit anyhow) you are wasting encode time for no net gain.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2012 7:02 PM   in reply to Multihandle
    1. It sounds like you have a single small disk drive, Adobe minimum specs are two and many here suggest 3 or more, does this laptop have an eSATA port?
    2. You only have 8 GB of RAM, for maximum Premiere efficiency you need more than 12 GB.
    3. What GPU do you have?  Let us hope it is a qualified NVidia GPU and you have enabled it to be able to use Hardware accelrated MPE.
    4. Have you tuned the OS by getting all the cruddy excess software off of it so that you have maximum usable memory and minimal processes stealing CPU cycles.
    5. You sure have a lot of excess garbage on the disk with only 110 GB free, that slows down the disk transfer rates significantly.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 10:39 AM   in reply to Multihandle

Run Task Manager and then on the Performance tab click on the "Resource Monitor".

Click the check boxes to select "Adobe Media Encoder" and the "PPro Headless" (if it's there) and report back with screen shots of the CPU tab & DISK tab. The "Disk Queue Length" will be your biggest tell all as to whether you're single hard disk speed bound. If that's at 0 or 1 then something else is the hog.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 2:48 PM   in reply to Multihandle

DISK:

A single disk is fine. I do it all the time. It's not RAID but it's not the bottleneck most the time - the cpu is doing fancy effects. Now having said that, my temporary folder is on my SSD c:\ and the assets are pulls from and saved to my 2Tb SATA. So all the temp stuff is on/off of Solid State Disk so it's 10x faster than a single SATA drive.

GPU:

I don't condone this but here is a step by step to add pretty much any nVidia card. The FX 2800M has CUDA so it should work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj4ERi5t_Eo

TEMPERATURE...

Ah... temp.. yes the CPU will automatically down clock if it gets too hot. that DEFINITELY explains why the estimate started to ramp upwards.

RAM:

I have 8GB. it's definitely better than 4GB for AVCHD editing. For is always going to help but is not necessary.

Use the Resource Monitor as I previously said; it'll tell you whether the CPU, GPU, MEMORY or DISK is the bottleneck.

(If you have "hard faults" in memory you don't have enough ram.)

R

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 1:32 PM   in reply to Multihandle

You might want to visit our Premiere Pro Bench Mark (PPBM5) site for real information on over 800 systems for you to explore  Make sure the first thing you do is select either version from the tabs on top because there is significant difference between the two primarily on the MPEG2-DVD scoring because of a change that Adobe made when CS5.5 came out.. I am assuming that you have either CS5 or CS5.5. 

Definitely add the FX 2800M to your "cuda_supported_cards.txt" file but since it only has 96 CUDA cores it will not help a lot.

How many processes show up in the Process Tab of Task Manager when you check "..show all" (without Premiere running)?

Quick time is always a problem because it is only a 32-bit application and Adobe is 64-bit and there is a lot of overhead going between the two

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points