Skip navigation
GBLBTT
Currently Being Moderated

The PSE 10 process doesn't stop after closing the application. Why??

Apr 9, 2012 5:27 PM

On Windows 7, the PSE 10 process doesn't stop when closing the  application, therefore the PSE 10 app. will not restart once it is closed. The user must stop the process from task manager or reboot before PSE 10 can be restarted on a Windows 7 machine. The forum suggestion to double-click the exe (instead of the shortcut) as a solution, obviously isn't a solution and can't work. There are no updates to PSE 10 and the only access to any support is through this forum. There have been complaints about this on blogs all over the Internet. Why can't Adobe come up with a fix/update or if they have where is it posted?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2012 5:43 PM   in reply to GBLBTT

If this sort of behavior happened on everybody's computer, it would be the kind of thing that we could issue an update to and fix. But because it doesn't happen on every computer, that is the root cause is not the application itself, we cannot issue a patch that will stop this from happening. In many cases, the process is being held onto by the system at the behest of another application that is also currently running on the system. Why it doesn't want the Photoshop Elements Welcome screen to close is anybody's guess. The workaround suggested of using the direct Photoshop Elements Editor and Elements Organizer exe files (bypassing the Welcome Screen) is usually just an easier solution than trying to pinpoint with other application or setting in your user account is the actual source of the issue. You can simply get rid of that desktop shortcut to the Welcome Screen and replace it with direct shortcuts to the Editor and Organizer:

Bypass the Welcome Screen | Photoshop Elements

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 10:28 AM   in reply to GBLBTT

First of all, there is no difference between the files on the disk and those downloaded as the trial. The only difference is that one comes with a serial number and the other does not. You can put your serial number into the trial version and it will then be activated. The only way the disk would behave differently is if there is some physical flaw (scratches, warping, etc). Usually such damage will cause the installation to fail, it's pretty difficult for such damage to modify the files in such a way that they still install but behave differently.

If you are dropping a file on the shortcut and the Photoshop Elements Editor is opening but the file is not, there could be a few different things going on there. Check your shortcut properties first: does it go to PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe or Photoshop Elements 10.0.exe? If the former, then there are probably some missing support files. If the latter, this is the Welcome Screen, which has likely been configured to launch the Editor automatically. However, you would be sending the file to the Welcome Screen, which doesn't do anything with the file. It is not capable of passing the file off to the Editor, only capable of launching it.

Also, double-clicking a shortcut is generally the exact same thing as double-clicking the file the shortcut points to, but you can add modifiers to shortcuts to make them behave differently.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 1:38 PM   in reply to Brett N

Brett N wrote:

Also, double-clicking a shortcut is generally the exact same thing as double-clicking the file the shortcut points to, but you can add modifiers to shortcuts to make them behave differently.

It's also quite different insofar as permissions are concerned.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 1:14 PM   in reply to Brett N

I'm having the same problem - doesn't matter if I click on the shortcut or the program itself.  Photoshop Elements 10 opens, and closes, but the process continues to run and has to be stopped from the task manager.  You don't even know it hasn't shut down until you try to open it again.  I'm using Windows 7, 64-bit.   I uninstalled Photoshop Elements, reinstalled, just like GBLBTT did, same problem.

OK, I just bypassed the welcome screen by creating shortcuts directly from the editor and the organizer.  Seems to have solved the problem.  So, the problem is with Adobe's shortcut welcome screen that is installed, and Adobe should be able to provide a fix for this.  The problem isn't with the consumer's machine. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 1:34 PM   in reply to lingam3

Ken, you are right, permissions can be vastly different between a shortcut and the actual executable. They aren't necessarily different though, assuming no changes have been made. The permission differences will largely stem from the location of the shortcut. There are certain permission restrictions to the Desktop itself, and anything on it.

Lingam, "Photoshop Elements 10.0.exe" is the Welcome Screen. It's a separate application from the Elements Organizer (PhotoshopElementsOrganizer.exe) or the Photoshop Elements Editor (PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe). So if your desktop shortcut is for the Welcome Screen (this is the one that is created automatically by the installation process), and it hasn't closed down properly, when you try that desktop shortcut again, it will not "launch" because it is already currently runnning.

So, to get into the nitty gritty here, when you first click on the desktop shortcut for Photoshop Elements, you get the Welcome Screen and then you choose Edit and the Editor comes up and then crashes and you are no longer able to launch the Welcome Screen? If not, what are the exact steps you are following? Pretend I can't see your computer screen when describing things, give details.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 1:35 PM   in reply to GBLBTT

You are correct, there is not supposed to be any difference at all between the download and the disk. But that doesn't mean the data on the disk is read correctly. We've seen many times that certain models of disk drive encounter issues during install. In these cases, same disk, same computer, different drive (dvd vs blu-ray or internal vs external) and the installation worked perfectly. You may have found that had you copied the disk contents to your hard drive you may have not encountered this issue.

There is no such thing as bug free software, it all has bugs, known and unknown. We may have claimed that specific reported issues are not bugs (i.e. they could not be reproduced on another system). There were bugs in every version of Photoshop you ever used, as well as Elements, but I doubt that many of the problems you encountered had anything to do with bugs.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 2:21 PM   in reply to Brett N

I have this problem but my shortcuts already refer to the executable, not to the welcome screen.  This is the target of my shortcut:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Elements 10 Organizer\Photoshop Elements 10.0.exe"

So this means every time I close Elements, I have to manually stop the process.  Is there any news on a fix for this bug?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 3:58 PM   in reply to djrickard

I've skirted the problem by using two shortcuts with the following targets (the shortcut for the organizer is a little different than your target).

For the Organizer:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Elements 10 Organizer\PhotoshopElementsOrganizer.exe

For the Editor:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 10\PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 1:16 PM   in reply to lingam3

lingham3, Thank you very much - I hadn't spotted the different executable, that works fine and it starts up much quicker too:)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points