Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Keeping Histogram and Adjustment Panels Open together

Apr 13, 2012 9:48 AM

Tags: #windows_7 #layers #photoshop_elements_10

I am assisting a friend who is working with Elements 10 on a laptop running Windows 7.  I want her to watch the histogram while making layer adjustments.

I have carefully kept the histogram panel tabbed to the top group.  The layers and adjustment panels are not tabbed to that group.

Every time she is making a layers adjustment the histogram panel closes.  I can't find a way to have both open at once.

What is causing this?

Thanks.

Mary Lou

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 13, 2012 10:43 AM   in reply to Mary Lou Frost

I have PSEv8.

In Editor, go to Edit>preferences>general tab. Check "save panel locations" and while you are there also check "allow floating documents...."

Does that fix it?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 10:52 AM   in reply to Mary Lou Frost

Undock the Histogram panel -- grab its title bar and drag it to a location that's convenient.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 11:04 AM   in reply to photodrawken

Not mutually exclusive.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 2:50 PM   in reply to Mary Lou Frost

Mary Lou,

I've reduced my Panel Bin to an iconized state, and no matter into which area of the Panel Bin I put the Histogram panel, it's automatically closed when I open another palette.

I never tried this when I had PSE9, so I don't know if some code was changed.  This is on Win7 x64.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 3:01 PM   in reply to Mary Lou Frost

You're welcome, Mary Lou. 

I can appreciate what you're saying -- that would be convenient when the Panel Bin is in its default "full" state (and now that I think about it, I think I remember having multiple palettes open when I had PSE9), but for my setup with that "iconized" Panel Bin, it doesn't make any difference insofar as screen real estate is concerned.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 4:50 PM   in reply to photodrawken

I'm pretty sure this is just a question of screen real estate. Both the Histogram and Adjustments panel are of a fixed size (they have a minimum size they must be to display). Other panels, like layers, have the capability of scrolling, so they don't have the fixed size. So, if you have other panels open along with Histogram and Adjustment, when you switch from one to the other, it will collapse the opposite. But if you collapse the other panel you will probably have enough room for both the Histogram and Adjustments panels. The other option is to increase your screen real estate by upping your screen resolution.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 1:52 PM   in reply to Mary Lou Frost

Yeah, I actually tested this on two different computers, the first everything worked fine, I was able to make adjustments and see the histogram. Then on the second computer I could only view one at a time, just as you describe. The difference I discovered was the size of the display, the one where things work is a significantly larger screen. I think my laptop is about 15" and my desktop is 22". But playing around with things to make more room, I was able to get the histogram and adjustments to display at the same time.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 3:58 PM   in reply to Mary Lou Frost

Well, getting the other panels out of the way is just a way of making more room, but the amount of room you have total is going to depend on more than just that. What screen resolution are you using? Also, do you know what DPI you are using on your screen?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points