Skip navigation
Tom Vadnais
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Standard Camera Calibration greatly underexposes in ACR 7.0

Apr 13, 2012 2:21 PM

With all ACR defaults, including Adobe Standard (2012) camera calibration, when I open a Raw image (NEF from Nikon D3x or D3s), the blacks are blocked up and the entire histogram is "squashed" down and both ends are pulled in toward the middle, further reducing the dynamic range. The resulting excessive contrast looks horrible. All other settings are at zero, except lens correction is checked On. (Clicking that on or off has almost no effect on the histogram.)

Just changing the Camera Calibration to 2010 helps the image tremendously. But I notice it has set Blacks +25, Clarity +7, and has made a custom Point curve that is essentially an inverted S-curve. This successfully unblocks the shadows, but it seems bizarre that the new default Adobe Standard would be so far off.

I don't know if I'm missing a new, hidden setting, or if that's an issue unique to Nikon D3-series.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 13, 2012 2:56 PM   in reply to Tom Vadnais

Have you done anthing to modify the Camera Raw Defaults?

With what you are talking about you apparently have some sort of modified "Default" being applied to your file. I would suggest going up to the ACR flyout menu and choosing Reset Camera Raw Defaults to get back to the original ACR Defaults. By default, PV 2012 should tend to be lighter and flatter, not darker and blocked up.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 5:51 PM   in reply to Tom Vadnais

In my CS5 setup I defaulted ACR to a liner point curve versus the default medium contrast one. I have noticed that when converting 2010 raws to the 2012 process ACR created an inverted like point curve. I think the point being that curve in 2012 closely matches the liner curve in 2010. For the most part all the raws converted to 2012 process changed little in the conversion to the new settings. Some photos did a bit. I have no idea why. Nor do I care. Once in 2012 I got rid of the conversion point curve. Back to linear and basically tweaked and learned the new controls for each photo and in the process got better results for most photos. I also noticed that clarity was chopped in half in the conversion. The new algorithm is much stronger.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 2:41 PM   in reply to Tom Vadnais

Tom Vadnais wrote:

I just don't know why the new defaults are so much darker, when the consensus seems to be that it's typically lighter and flatter, which is just what I wanted.

In looking at the 3 images, you'll note that ACR 7 PV 2012 actually is maintaining some of your highlights that ACR 6 PV 2010 show as clipping. To mu eyes, PV 2012 looks the best and there's still plenty of adjustment to be had. You're expousre is way to the left and the scene is a high dynamic rages scene, obviously there's gonna be a lot of tonality to the left of middle. But I would not call PV 2012 "so much darker" than the other two renderings...

What you are not showing is what the curves settings may be...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points