Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
Currently Being Moderated

Back Arrow - click twice?

Apr 11, 2012 8:33 AM

Yesterday I noticed that when I viewed a thread and then pressed the back arrow it does nothing.  If I click the back arrow the second time it works and takes me back to discussion.

Thinking it might by my computer I shut it down last night.  But same problem occurs today.  Not every time, but say 90% of the time.

I can see the page icon blink on the first click and on the second click it does the "loading" message.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2012 8:09 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Yes, I noticed the same things since a few days.

[Windows 7, Firefox 11.0]

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 7:37 PM   in reply to Curt Y

It is still happening, and it is extremely irritating!

But is it only the two of use who are experiencing this???

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 7:42 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

Not seeing it in Firefox/Mac... Tomorrow I'll check in my Win portable.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 7:19 AM   in reply to Claudio González

It has been happening to me on multiple machines. I generally use SeaMonkey as my browser. I often will go up to the back button (or alt-left arrow that does the same thing) and when I just scan over the button I get a little JavaScript type notice that does not work. If I wait until it shows "Go Back One Page" it works most of the time. It is really annoying. I assume it is some recent change to the forums. I also tested it out in Firefox and IE. The same problem happened in Firefox, but not IE. I am surprised that a script would have been written that was IE specific. That is not a good practice, particularly for a company that is at odds with MicroSoft.

Apparently this aspect depends on the specific browser, but that suggests that the code has used some non-standard script for going back that is not recognized by all browsers. If Jive is as great as it is supposed to be, then such hickups should not exist and it should work in ALL browsers, not just IE and Safari.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 9:50 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Have just tried several times in Safari and Explorer under Win 7. Every time I went back with just one click.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 2:53 PM   in reply to Curt Y

I just tried it, and it worked.

Normally, I use the Up to button to get back to the same place in the forum, or the Bookmark to get an updated view from the start.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 4:20 PM   in reply to Curt Y

On Chrome, on Friday, April 13 @ 4:00PM PST, the Back Arrow works, albeit slowly. It is like it takes a second, or two, to think about what it should do, and then the little circular arrow, spinning thingie starts and takes me back.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 7:08 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

It's the same; clicking the browser's Back button, or the keyboard's Back key - in 99% it must be clicked / pressed twice.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 5:15 PM   in reply to Curt Y

I am quite disappointed that nobody seems to be working on this problem.

The forums are quite unusable this way; all this waiting - and then: ah, yes, we have to go back twice!  Nothing on the entire Internet behaves like that, so it's not something we get used to!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 6:09 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

Pat Willener wrote:

I am quite disappointed that nobody seems to be working on this problem.

The forums are quite unusable this way; all this waiting - and then: ah, yes, we have to go back twice!  Nothing on the entire Internet behaves like that, so it's not something we get used to!

Unfortuntely, it seems to be true that nowadays nobody seems to care about things like this. Or these:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/975963?tstart=30

Also unfortunately, these forums do behave the chaotic way they do, so if one wants to use them, one has to get used to it. Sad.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 7:17 PM   in reply to Curt Y

It can't be that difficult to fix???

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 5:34 AM   in reply to Pat Willener

Pat Willener wrote:

It can't be that difficult to fix???

As I said in my last message above, in my opinion the problem is that nowadays nobody cares for these small problems affecting the forums, no matter how easy they may be to fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 8:15 PM   in reply to Curt Y

I have had this problem for about 3 weeks now.  Firefox support suggested checking the add-ons through safe-mode to see if an add-on was causing the problem.  That didn't help.  They also suggested downloading the new Firefox 12 (I was using Firefox 11/Windows7).  That didn't help either. I tried clearing the cache. No help.  I noticed on the Firefox forum site that someone asked a question regarding the 'two click' back page problem, 4 months ago. I have now noticed that this is happening on one site, MSNBC, but not on the other news sites I frequent or anyplace else.   Now I just double click when I'm on that news site. It was happening before on the CBS News site and fine on the MSNBC.  Try and figure that one out...   It's very annoying.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 9:50 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt Y  Believe me, I am no computer geek.  Wish I was.  It's just trial and error for me and a lot of research.  The buffer possibility seems like a good guess.  I've emptied the cache and everything is fine until I go back to the site that I have problems with a second time and then it's back click twice again.  The first time at the site, after emptying the cache, seems to be okay.

Firefox also sent me back a 'try refreshing profile'. I checked into out. Absolutely not, that's way out of my league. I get nervous when I have to clear the cache, history, etc.

I've also checked IE, which I don't use often, and there is no problem with the back button, even on the MSNBC site.   Check out Bill@VT post. 

I wonder if this is another Windows 7 glitch along with the jumping screen problem (a lot of the jumping screen seemed to be on laptops, but I have a desktop).  Also, depending on how you Google the 'back button' problem, you come up with people that had this problem in 2011 and I think I saw some in 2010.  I never had these  problems (back button and jumping screen) with Windows XP.  

Right back at ya with the, 'Let us know if you find solution'.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 2:21 PM   in reply to scout123456

scout123456 wrote:

I have had this problem for about 3 weeks now.  Firefox support suggested checking the add-ons through safe-mode to see if an add-on was causing the problem.  That didn't help.  They also suggested downloading the new Firefox 12 (I was using Firefox 11/Windows7).  That didn't help either. I tried clearing the cache. No help.  I noticed on the Firefox forum site that someone asked a question regarding the 'two click' back page problem, 4 months ago. I have now noticed that this is happening on one site, MSNBC, but not on the other news sites I frequent or anyplace else.   Now I just double click when I'm on that news site. It was happening before on the CBS News site and fine on the MSNBC.  Try and figure that one out...   It's very annoying.

I've had this problem with some news sites (CNEWS), but not others (BBC) as well. We can still blame Jive though.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 7:56 AM   in reply to Kami Bambiraptor

I had trouble finding this discussion and created a new one at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4384185#4384185. In any case, I found that it varies depending on whether you have added a comment or not. This difference seems to be a rather new change. Curt Y commented that the result seems to be not just an issue for the Adobe forums and seems to suggest it is an issue with the Jive software itself with some update back around the middle of April.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 8:29 AM   in reply to Bill@VT

The Apple forums got the same malfunction at around the same time these forums here did, and the Apple Discussion boards also run on Jive.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 3:31 PM   in reply to Curt Y

I checked my downloads, add ons and anything else I could check on my  computer to see if I was running Jive.  I'm not.  So maybe it's not Jive. Do all of you have Jive downloaded on your computers? And what exactly is Jive (make it simple otherwise it's lost to me?

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 3:10 AM   in reply to Curt Y

As I mentioned in post #7, it worked for me, but only until the New Skin was applied.

Now I have to click the Back Arrow twice, too, sometimes even thrice.

As I reported in post #48 in this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/999431?start=0&tstart=0

Before all this, there were a few reports that the browser Back Button way of returning to the forum list (or somewhere else) required hitting the button twice.

Now I seem to have it too (Firefox):

First time I press it, the Reload current page arrow spins counterclockwise for a moment, then  settles for the page/thread where I am,

Second time I press it, the Reload is normal, and I get to the forum page.

Edit: And then a twist:

After a second cache clearing, I did get somewhere first time I pressed the browser Back Button, only it was somewhere else:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4382763/edit

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 6:11 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

I'm seeing this problem in Firefox on MacOS 10.7, but not on 10.6.

And I don't see it in Safari on either OS vesion.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 9:07 PM   in reply to Curt Y

This is annoying the hell out of me!

This is still occurring, now with Firefox version 13.

Getting used to this, when in the Adobe forums I automatically press the Back key twice.  But since this is not always happening, I often end up in the forum editor of my previous post!

With the forum being so slow these days, and thing being displayed in bits and pieces, this is really most annoying.

It's about time this is fixed!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 9:22 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

This has been annoying me so much that I have decided to try finding the cause for this problem.  So I started Firebug and opened a random topic.

First all the JavaScript started displaying in Firebug, then suddenly it disappeared and was replaced by

Reload the page to get source for: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/988260

So this Jive stuff is not even debuggable...?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 9:29 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

Have you tried viewing the source of the page rather than using firebug?  In FF to view the source you need to use:

CTRL+U

or:

tools >> Web Developer >> Page Source

When the source is on the screen, you can copy and paste it in DW and then try debugging that way.

This is just a thought but it may not be ideal for Jive pages because they use lots of scripts.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2012 5:46 PM   in reply to mytaxsite.co.uk

Good suggestion; I may download the DW trial when I get annoyed again

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 9:48 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Jacob Bugge wrote:

As I mentioned in post #7, it worked for me, but only until the New Skin was applied.

Now I have to click the Back Arrow twice, too, sometimes even thrice.

As I reported in post #48 in this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/999431?start=0&tstart=0

But it is still not in that List? Perhaps Adobe Forum's Team is not certain it is a Jive SBS' issue?

I'm not sure now but I think they haven't even commented on Jacob's (and others) report.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 12:46 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt Y    I have Windows7/ Firefox 13   and ran a program and files search.  I don't have Jive on my computer. (shouldn't I have been able to find Jive that way? I just know the basic computer stuff).    #30, Rick CP, may have a point; Adobe Forum's team may not think it's a Jive issue. The only site I have to Back Arrow twice is MSN News (using Firefox).   I've tried Internet Explorer and don't have a problem with MSN News (having to Back Arrow twice) or any other site.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 12:49 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt Y wrote:

... They can't all be powered by Jive can they? 

Of course not! but there's an odd coincidence on some users' reports, in addition - connected (in some cases) to the Mozilla Firefox (11+) browser.

However, would clarify I'm not implying so, but just pointing out that users' reports on that thread above have not yet received much attention from the Forum's Team. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 5:43 PM   in reply to Curt Y

I think I got your point now Curt... You mean that because (if) it's not an "specific" Jive thing, or even "if" it's a (mostly Mozillas) browser issue related, it should not be on that thread's list?

If that is the case I must agree (partially) with you, as that thread is tittled: "Known Issues in new (Forums) skins" - which nothing to do with browsers' related issues.

However, whether or not related to one or the other, the problem is certainly affecting the Forums' performance and hence the user's experience; thus, at least a "I heard you" is expected from the Forums' owners - Have you seen any response to any user's report (as this thread) yet?

Trust this clarifies my posts above.

Now coming back to this/your thread... I hope that Pat - who's pissed off enough with this - can show us some light through his investigations!

@scout: Don't worry, Jive isn't in your system - that's the company's name provider of the software platform to the Adobe Forums.

Cheers

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 6:59 PM   in reply to RickCP

RickCP 

Thank you for clearing up what Jive is, for me. Change my statement,  "basic computer stuff'' to "VERY basic computer stuff".

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 7:59 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt Y wrote:

The only Adobe employee to wade into this issue is, bless his heart, Chris Cox.  His post #25 says he saw it with Firefox on a Mac.

Actually, John has also acknowledged the issue in post #161 at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4434579#4434579

It is also clear that the issue has started before the new skin, and it must be the combination of the Jive JavaScripts with a newer Firefox version.

Unfortunately I do not have as much time as I wish to investigate this further, especially since Jive does not let Firebug debug their JavaScripts.  (Interestingly I can use the debugger on Internet Explorer, where of course the problem does not occur.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 3:36 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

Pat Willener wrote:

... it must be the combination of the Jive JavaScripts with a newer Firefox version....

That would be my best bet on this... so far!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 4:06 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

Pat Willener wrote:

Actually, John has also acknowledged the issue in post #161 at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4434579#4434579

And you can see that on post #167 that same thread, Jacob directed Noel to this thread... stating:

..."The Back button issue was brought up here"...

So I guess this thread should be definitely linked to that thread's list...

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points