Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Make new paragraph tag available in all documents in a book

Apr 13, 2012 Apr 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm very new to FM10, so please excuse my ignorance.

All I want to do is make a custom paragraph available in all the chapters
of my book. I created a variation of Heading2 (and gave it the paragraph tag
of H2), in one chapter and use it extensively there.

I checked the "add to catalog" box when I created it, but when I'm working on

the other documents (chapters) in the book, H2 doesn't show up in the
paragraph catalog .

After failing to make "import format" work,  I even tried to re-create the same H2

paragraph from scratch in one of the the other chapters.

But to add insult to injury, after typing in all the custom H2 characteristics in that
other chapter, and attempting to put in the catalog (which was not showing
an H2 in that chapter), FM told me that it couldn't do it because there was already

a paragraph tag of that name in the catalog.

At that point I decided to throw myself on the mercy of the forum.

Cheers,

JP

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Apr 16, 2012 Apr 16, 2012

JP,

Open the file in which you created the H2 tag. In the book file, select all. Then with the book file selected, select File > Import > Formats. In the dialog, deselect all and then select paragraph formats. From the dropdown at the top, select the open file. Click OK, or whatever. This copies all the paragraph formats from the open file into all the selected files of the book. IF an H2 tag already exists in any of the files in the book, it is overwritten. No tags NOT in the open file are delet

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Apr 16, 2012 Apr 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JP,

Open the file in which you created the H2 tag. In the book file, select all. Then with the book file selected, select File > Import > Formats. In the dialog, deselect all and then select paragraph formats. From the dropdown at the top, select the open file. Click OK, or whatever. This copies all the paragraph formats from the open file into all the selected files of the book. IF an H2 tag already exists in any of the files in the book, it is overwritten. No tags NOT in the open file are deleted.

After failing to make "import format" work,  I even tried to re-create the same H2

paragraph from scratch in one of the the other chapters.

But to add insult to injury, after typing in all the custom H2 characteristics in that
other chapter, and attempting to put in the catalog (which was not showing
an H2 in that chapter), FM told me that it couldn't do it because there was already

a paragraph tag of that name in the catalog.

The second paragraph implies that the import format DID work. What do you mean by failing to make import format work?

Van

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 18, 2012 Apr 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Van, thanks a million -- that worked perfectly.

When I tried this on my own, I did not know that I should select the target document(s) in the book window.

The helpfile said that I could import characteristics from any document, so that's what I tried -- one open document

with its tab white and one target document with its tab dark gray.

When I tried it my way, the drop-down box let me specify the doc in the dark gray tab as the target document, and

didn't throw an error.

The actual symptom was that after doing this attempt at import, paragraph lists (in the designer or on a right-click>Paragraphs)

did not show H2. That was the point at which I tried to manually recreate the H2 paragraph. After recreating all the

paragraph characteristics as they existed in the source document, wouldn't me create it because it said I already

had a H2 paragraph in the list. I thought that very rude of FM.

But thanks again!

JP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines