Skip navigation
DebG_
Currently Being Moderated

Using a file from INDD 5.5 in INDD 5

Apr 13, 2012 3:48 PM

Tags: #cs5 #indesign_cs5

There were no results for I have received a file from a client who uses 5.5 - I use 5 - she saved the file in idml format which she says should make it so I can open it. I have used Adobe Application Manager and made sure I am completely updated. I get a note saying the the file 'uses one or more plug-ins which are not currently available on your system' - and another one saying to upgrade my plug-ins which I believe I have. Does anyone have suggestions - is there a way for me to access this file.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 13, 2012 3:57 PM   in reply to DebG_

This typically because the person did nothing but change the file extension. IDML must be exported from InDesign.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 4:07 PM   in reply to DebG_

I suppose it's remotely possible that you are using InDesign CS3 (InDesign 5.0) and your client is using InDesign CS5.5 (InDesign 7.5). That confusion in version-naming conventions would lead to the same "wong-plugin" problems. But Bob is probably right - I am astounded to see how frequently it happens that someone thinks that changing a file extension actually changes the contents of the file.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 4:09 PM   in reply to Joel Cherney

CS3 would completely choke on an IDML file, I would think.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 4:18 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

I apparently have already used up all of my available brainpower for the day. You're exactly right, Bob. Please do ignore my message, Deb, I was 100% incorrect.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points