Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB ok for PrE CS5.5?

Apr 13, 2012 1:22 PM

Tags: #cs5 #cs5.5 #graphicscard #premiere_cs5.5

Hello everyone,

I am a videographer. I shoot and edit videos. I currently own Final Cut Studio 2. I use FCP 6.0.6 but (which is OK up until now). But I am disappointed in Compressor and DVDSP.

I want to switch to a true 64-bit editing system, hoping that this will cut down time of rendering, compressing and authoring.

I would like to take advantage of the GPU-accelerated performance in Adobe Premiere Pro but I am wondering if my graphics card is good enough.

Here is my setup:

Processor  2 x 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Memory  16 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC

Graphics  ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB

Software  Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 (11D50d)

My graphics card is not listed in this list http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.html. Do I have to buy a new graphics card?

Thank you for your time and help

Raphael

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 13, 2012 1:36 PM   in reply to frenchyraf

You do not have to buy a new GPU ,but if you really want performance then it is strongly suggested that you do get an nVidia CUDA card with lots of CUDA cores, the more the better your performance will be.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 3:11 PM   in reply to frenchyraf

Is ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB ok for PrE CS5.5?

So are you talking about Premiere Elements or Premiere Pro CS5.5? That E in your topic header confuses me.

For Elements you are in the wrong forum, this forum is limited to Premiere Pro CS5.x. For Premiere Pro a CUDA enabled card with 1 GB+ VRAM is highly recommended, like Bill said. It can give huge performance benefits. Think a GTX 560 Ti or better.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 3:44 PM   in reply to frenchyraf

Thanks for clearing that up. If you continue using your AMD card, you can edit perfectly fine and your 16 GB is great for that. No problem, but if you are looking for further improvements, the video card and disk setup (you did not mention that) are the first points to look at in the future.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 3:55 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

And in CS6 the Open CL functions of the ATI Radeon 4870 card are supported in parity with the Nvidia cards, meaning you get the same accelerated effects and performance .

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 4:07 PM   in reply to lasvideo

Hold on!

The only cards announced to support Open CL acceleration are the AMD 67xxM cards used in MBP and iMAC's, nothing has been said about other AMD cards and we do not know anything about possible 'hacks' yet, so be very careful in getting ones hopes up. We also do not know if that support is limited to OSX or if it extends to Windows as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 4:14 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

My bad. Radeon 6750M and 6770M are the correct card designations.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points