Skip navigation
slash65
Currently Being Moderated

I can no longer view video on espn.com

Apr 11, 2012 3:53 PM

It does not work in IE or Firefox. I am running the latest versions of both browsers and am on Windows XP.

How do I fix this?

Replies
  • Chris Campbell
    9,455 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Apr 12, 2012 6:51 PM   in reply to slash65

Can you try clearing Flash's cache to see if that helps?

How do I clear my Flash Player cache and settings?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 12, 2012 9:42 PM   in reply to slash65

If Chris' suggestion does not fix the problem, can you explain a little bit more detailed what "not work" means?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 9:18 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Thanks for the suggestion. I cleared Flash's cache and it did not make any difference. I have the latest version of Flash Player installed and am running the most current version of FireFox.

There is just a black box that displays where the video should be. See below. I can view YouTube videos with no problem however.

video.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,455 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Apr 13, 2012 3:49 PM   in reply to slash656

Sometimes this can be caused by ad blockers disabling advertisements that can play before the main content.  Could you make sure that any ad blockers are disabled and try again?  In addition, I'd also recommend resetting your hosts file in case that has also been modified.

How can I reset the hosts file back to the default?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 5:33 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I do not have any ad blockers running - just Avast Antivirus.

I tried renaming ths Hosts file and the video still doesn't play.

I know that it used to and can't figure out what else could be causing this to happen.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,455 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Apr 13, 2012 5:35 PM   in reply to slash656

Out of curiosity, what happens if you disable Avast?  Do you have any other firewall software that could be running?  Would you be willing to try this with Google Chrome?  And finally, could you try the manual process of clearing the cache using the link I gave above?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 6:13 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I completely disabled Avast and it made no difference. There is a firewall running on my wireless router - I don't see anything unusual there.

The video does not play in Google Chrome either. I tried manual removing the cache as well. No dice.

I am at a loss....

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 8:30 AM   in reply to slash656

I've been having the same issue with Flash for the last week, just get a black screen where the video would play.  Using an HP Pavilion laptop, Windows 7, with Intel graphics.  ESPN didn't work in Firefox, showing "Content Unavailable - Internal Server Error", but the same video works now in IE after deleting the flash cache as suggested above.  YouTube videos work fine in either browser.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 8:10 AM   in reply to cpbender

Fixed the problem, I deleted the following 2 keys in Registry Editor:

'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer \Shell Folders\AppData'

'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer \User Shell Folders\AppData'

Videos now play.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points