Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

unable to stop images from auto toning in lightroom 4

Apr 13, 2012 6:26 PM

lightroom automatically auto tones images after importing them even when told not to do so in the preferences.

Edit> preferences> presets

I have made sure everything is unchecked.

I previously asked this question but got no solution so i'm trying again to ask.

here is link original: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4320121

to sum up my problem. when I synchronize a folder it imports the images, which then starts auto toning the thumbnails and if i click on image its looks awful. so its not just the thumbnails its the image also

this is really frustrating for me because I shoot in HDR, meaning I bracket my shots  from -3 to +3, 1 stop for each image. so what i expect is each each to go from dark to light but instead lightroom tones them automatically making each image near identical.

its like lightroom thinks theres a problem and tries to balance each picture so instead of going from dark to light now all 5 bracketed shots look near identical because it has toned them.

i dont know why it does this.

i have uninstalled light room.

deleted every folder, cache in my app data and anything related to adobe lightroom. rebooted.

reinstalled.

Edit> preferences> presets

I have made sure everything is unchecked.

then i import a folder and again it starts auto toning them.

my work around is to select all images> right click develop settings>reset

and now they look normal.

so i have to do this each time, basically adding another step.

the frustration grows because I suffer from ADD and some times I forget to reset the images after an import. grrr

anotyher huge problem is I export images.

when ever I have finalized the image and deem its ready for the internets I export it to a subfolder as a jpeg at 100% size and quality.

then I synchronize the folder and it imports those new jpeg pictures

and guess what it does, it auto tones them,

argghhhh

this is driving me nuts.

all i want it lightroom to NOT auto tone anything after an import.

i want my pictures and thumbnails to look exactly how they look.

to be specific. after I import i can see all my thumbnails, they looks fine. i can see my bracket shots from dark to light as they should but a few seconds later i start to notice lightroom is auto toning each thumbnail one by one. its not instant it takes a a sec or so to do each thumbnail.

I wish to prevent that...how?

Can anyone please help me

on my last post I tried everything everyone suggested but for some reason thread is locked and i could not reply anymore even though it states NOT answered.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 13, 2012 6:44 PM   in reply to ninjapimp

After importing an image, what history states are present when you go to the Develop module?  Please specify word for word what the history state(s) say.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 7:11 PM   in reply to John Hollenberg

If you haven’t already, I’d delete your LR4 preferences file, in case it is corrupt.  On my 32-bit windows system, the LR4 preferences file is in the following folder:

C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Preferences

and is called:

Lightroom 4 Preferences.agprefs

Exit LR4, and delete this file, then restart LR4, and try importing a new, never-been-seen image file.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 7:43 PM   in reply to ninjapimp

ninjapimp wrote:

i import a new image, (it auto tones it), i click on develop module but alas i dont see and know where 'history states' is at??

Left panel in Develop, under "History".

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 8:19 PM   in reply to Lee Jay

And if you still don’t see a History section in the Develop module’s left panel, then right-click on one of the left-panel’s section titles you do see and choose Show All.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points