Skip navigation
J0hj0h
Currently Being Moderated

What does "protecting existing frames" do? ("Vorhandene Frames schützen")

Mar 26, 2012 1:04 PM

I just imported a cut from Premiere into After Effects to do some color correction/grading and effects.

Everytime that I want to render a RAM-preview it sais "protecting existing frames" (actually in German: "Vorhandene Frames schützen") in the info panel. This takes really, really long and doesn't seem to do anything.

The only thing that could influence this time is the amount of layers (footage pre-comps, adjustment layers and text) as there are about 200.  There also are a few footage clips with just audio enabled.

I'm running After Effects on a laptop with 4 GB RAM and a Core2 Duo.

So my questions are:

1. What does "protecting existing frames" do?

2. Is there a way to bypass the time it takes?

I thank you in advance!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2012 3:10 PM   in reply to J0hj0h

The English version of the message is "locking existing frames", and it indicates that After Effects is determining which frames are already cached into RAM before it begins the process of rendering new frames for RAM preview.

Make sure that you've installed the latest updates. They fix a lot of problems, including one that caused the "locking existing frames" phase to take too long in some cases.

If that doesn't help, then we need to know a lot more if we're going to help you. Please provide answers to the questions listed here: "FAQ: What information should I provide when asking a question on this forum?"

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2012 11:18 PM   in reply to J0hj0h

Actually I only ever have seen that message with multiprocessing, so maybe turn that off, if you are using it...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points